Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 6, 2016   #61
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I went back to that market today. The gentleman I posted about picked right up where he left off last week, with the constant dirty looks. He continues to be less than my biggest fan, it appears. It rained today, so there were hardly any customers, just a half-dozen vendors. He wandered from booth to booth to talk to people, but then had to stomp by my step-dad and I each time he went by. He wouldn't even say hello. I would be friendly to him, but he's not having it.

I overheard his grandson saying to him today, talking about the rain and lack of customers, "you usually make 50, don't you?" If that guy makes fifty bucks a market, tomatoes are only a very small portion of what he sells, so the amount of money he was out last week because of my evil pricing scheme has got to be like ten or fifteen bucks.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of an old coot that was on the same bowling league I was on at one time.
It was a handicap league tournament and he kept complaining about my scores getting better.

I had an old used ball someone gave me and I couldn't help but get better as I had maybe bowled once before in my life.
He was accusing me of sandbagging.
When the tournament was over I paid for the expenses and took home like 300 bucks.
He was ticked.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #63
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is the reason I dont go to bars.
It seems every time I do someone wants to fight me and I have no idea why.
It never fails. Minding my own business trying to enjoy a good beer (NC has a plethora of fantastic microbreweries), I guarantee someone else wants to ruin it.

"Hey there, wanna buy me a drink?"
-"No thanks."
"Then why are you even here wasting my time?"

"How do you feel about [political issue]?"
-"I don't discuss politics over beer."
"You must be a [pejorative for opposing view]!"

"Hey! Why don't you come sit with us?"
-"I already told you I'm not paying for your drinks."
"Okay fine @$$#*!3"

"Bro that beer sucks!"
-"Thanks for your unsolicited opinion."
"You trying to start something bro? I will #&$! you up!"

I estimate that roughly 10% of the population is comprised of jerks (there's a more accurate term that I will refrain from using here). That percentage triples in any bar.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #64
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
It never fails. Minding my own business trying to enjoy a good beer (NC has a plethora of fantastic microbreweries), I guarantee someone else wants to ruin it.

"Hey there, wanna buy me a drink?"

-"No thanks."

"Then why are you even here wasting my time?"

"How do you feel about [political issue]?"

-"I don't discuss politics over beer."

"You must be a [pejorative for opposing view]!"

"Hey! Why don't you come sit with us?"

-"I already told you I'm not paying for your drinks."

"Okay fine @$$#*!3"

"Bro that beer sucks!"

-"Thanks for your unsolicited opinion."

"You trying to start something bro? I will #&$! you up!"

I estimate that roughly 10% of the population is comprised of jerks (there's a more accurate term that I will refrain from using here). That percentage triples in any bar.

Unless we're on vacation, my husband and I don't eat out very often. When we do and there's a wait for a table, he'll always ask if we can just sit at the bar. I always say no. I'd rather enjoy a one-on-one meal and conversation with him than deal with all the drama going on at the bar.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #65
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I went back to that market today. The gentleman I posted about picked right up where he left off last week, with the constant dirty looks. He continues to be less than my biggest fan, it appears. It rained today, so there were hardly any customers, just a half-dozen vendors. He wandered from booth to booth to talk to people, but then had to stomp by my step-dad and I each time he went by. He wouldn't even say hello. I would be friendly to him, but he's not having it.

I overheard his grandson saying to him today, talking about the rain and lack of customers, "you usually make 50, don't you?" If that guy makes fifty bucks a market, tomatoes are only a very small portion of what he sells, so the amount of money he was out last week because of my evil pricing scheme has got to be like ten or fifteen bucks.
yeesh ! he can do much better by word of mouth customers (limited edition marketing ) ......than a farmers market ...with the time and expense/ effort
then only make 50 ??? 50 K ???
Old July 7, 2016   #66
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad you did good at the market and kept your two buck price. Customers are fussy people, but you know you have a good product and care about your product and that will go miles for you.

It doesn't take folks long to start observing that while you may be a few cents higher, you are running out of product and that folks know means a sign of good veggies and they will generate towards you for future sales.

You could always put up a sign that says Sold Out for today, see me early on ___ for more fresh produce add a pic of a beautiful array of your product , you got lots of awesome pics. That might frost his cookies some.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big blowout sale on tomatoes for the next 15 minutes, 50% off.

Worth
Old July 7, 2016   #68
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big blowout sale on tomatoes for the next 15 minutes, 50% off.

Worth

ya ....KABOOM ! blow out ....like a Mushroom cloud .....at the farmers market !
Old July 7, 2016   #69
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Cole, I think you're cool and awesome. Looks like you've figured out the source of his misery which is he's barely making a living selling produce. I would forgive his rudeness and be friendly, like you said you would anyways.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #70
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. And yeah, I'm not going to tolerate having an enemy. Next week, I'll go over and talk to him. I'm going to kill this situation with kindness.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #71
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, not to offend anyone but 50$ wouldn't be worth it for me. My booth fee is $25 and picking/packing/driving/setup etc for 25$ profit I'd just stay home and make salsa. Like Cole, I ignore the haters. I have a few already at the market, but only because my stuff looks better, taste better and is more unique than what they have. They all have a million reasons why heirlooms are to much trouble but I don't see the point in selling an inferior product.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #72
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay this is the deal.
He just tells his grandson he made $50 so the big mouth little brat can go tell erroneous information to people that may want his money.
If you want to tell a lie get someone else to tell it for you that believes it.

Oldest trick in the book.

It took me almost 5 years to get an old due to start being nice to me at work.
The only reason he didn't like me was because I wasn't Union.
Ever day at breakfast and any time I saw home I would call him by na,me ans say good morning or hello so and so.
I broke him in the end, he just couldn't deal with being mean to me anymore.

Find out what that guys name is and walk right up to him and say howdy how are you doing.
I wouldn't even bring up the mishap and act like it never happened.
The ball is in his court then and it is up to him to make an a$$ out of himself or come around.
All eyes will be on him not you.
Either way you win.
Worth
Old July 7, 2016   #73
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks. And yeah, I'm not going to tolerate having an enemy. Next week, I'll go over and talk to him. I'm going to kill this situation with kindness.
I wouldn't.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 7, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #74
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Snakes will be snakes. I wouldn't dirty my hands trying to wrestle with one. Being friendly is being kind to your own soul.

Cole is a trained mma fighter, he can kick asses if he wishes, but he probably has more self restraint than most.

Last edited by Aerial; July 7, 2016 at 05:17 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #75
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

well, cole, are ya'll BFF'ing now?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote