Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 2, 2008   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Champion as a parent

Just curious if anyone here has used Dwarf Champion as a parent, and what the results were? I ask because it was crossed with Ponderosa to create New Big Dwarf, according to Victory Seeds' website. And NBD seems to be one that alot of folks enjoy growing. NBD has also been used in the dwarf project for at least a couple of the crosses.

For my first attempt at crossing next summer I plan on using Dwarf Champion x either Kellogg's Breakfast, Soldacki, or Valena's Pink depending on what happens to be flowering at the time.

The other cross I'm wanting to try is Polish Dwarf x Black Cherry.

No doubt my first attempts at crossing will be clumsy, but that's how you learn, I guess.

Thanks in advance for any replies, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2008   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dwarf Champion (well, Improved dwarf champion - which is pretty much identical) was crossed with Carbon to create Sleazy B. The reason we are going with NBD as a preferred match is that it gets us started with a larger tomato.
Old February 2, 2008   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Craig wrote: "The reason we are going with NBD as a preferred match, is that it gets us started with a larger tomato."

And that's a good plan for sure, Craig. I decided to try Dwarf Champion simply because that's what was used to help create NBD which people seem to like alot. And I figured if I used Dwarf Champion I'd end up with a different flavor probably than if I used NBD. Plus, I remember a person or two posting that NBD was a larger plant for them. Something like 6 or 8 feet tall. I'd like to try creating something I can grow indoors a little more easily. Much like the project dwarf plants I have growing now inside. They are doing great in small containers.

Chances are though I'll have problems crossing varieties considering it'll be my first attempt. I'll have to make sure I re-read Patrina's instructions on how to cross before giving it a try.

It'll be fun trying at any rate.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote