Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 26, 2007   #1
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

Default Miracle "gross" potting mix

Until today I had only used Fafard 3b and Metro mix 360 for all my seed starting and container needs.

I'm really spent out on dropping 12-14 dollars for a bag of potting mix. That said I've been carrying around a 25 dollar Wal-mart gift card and decided to use it and get some miracle grow or somthing similar.

Whew! Miracle grow potting mix really smells bad. It smelled like gasoline. I believe it was old but that would be sorta hard to believe this time of year. It was nearly noxious.

There really isn't any savings either( other than I used a gift card). A 2 cu ft bag is 9.97 and a 2.8 cu ft bag of fafard 3b cost me 10.95 sometimes 11.95 a bag. Metro mix 360 is 12.95 for 2.8 cu ft.

Anyway, I used it but never again.

Tim
Old April 26, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. Very interesting. I've been using a lot of the MG potting mix in my large containers outdoors because I can get such large bags. I've noticed that some bags are too wet and heavy and I have chalked that up to the garden center having them out on a pallet in the rain. These don't smell great but not like gasoline. Others are nice, light and fluffy and these are obviously bags that have been kept dry. I have used probably at least ten bags of it in the past couple of weeks but I haven't noticed a smell. I have two bags left in the garage. I'll make a point of taking a deeper sniff when I open them and see what they smell like but I think I'd have noticed if they smelled like gasoline. Have you already planted in it or can you still take it back? Gift card or not, there shouldn't be a smell that strong.
Old April 27, 2007   #3
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

That's odd. I've used many a bag of Miracle Gro and have never once noticed a gasoline smell. I don't suppose you tried to light a bit of it up (somewhere safe!)? At any rate, sounds like the bag somehow got contaminated to me. Too bad you have used it. I would have taken it straight back. You might consider calling Miracle Gro and complaining.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2007   #4
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

I doubt that there was anything seriously wrong the mix. Perhaps, if I hadn't been using so much of the Fafard and Metro-mix the smell might have gone unnoticed.

I would have should have returned the bag. As it often gets time was a factor and I really think I'll be ok.

I have used MG mix before with no complaints. The breath of the post could have been how pleasing it is to work with Fafard or Metro mix as compared to MG mix. I assure you I can tell a difference now that I may not have been able to before. It may perform as well or better than the others mentioned but it or that bag stunk.

I am just not going to use MG mix again. There are plenty of other options for me in my area.

Contacting MG is an option that I may explore. An email sure wouldn't hurt.

Tim
Old April 27, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I like the Fafard as well but can't find it in the big bags. I used the Fafard seed starter mix this year but for the big pots outside for flowers, it's mostly the MG.