Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2024   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Ok. I,m back.
Signing in got tricky
Don't know why.
Anyway. I am waiting for some new seeds like San marzano , amana orange , Arkansas traveler.
Those will first time for me.
I have my regulars Indian stripe. Hillbilly, big rainbow. Big beef and few more
I want to get going early Feb.
We shall see

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2024   #17
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

You are going to have a great tasting Garden this year Planting with all those Goodies, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2024   #18
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Like many, I have been lurking as well. Although it was 6 degrees at my place this morning and not going to get above 16 today, I have starting some tomatoes on my mind, so I hope to hear from others getting ready get things going.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2024   #19
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I mostly lurk as well. But I do find it comforting to check in to see what others are up to. Me? I'm ordering seeds and planning out what to plant in every last inch of garden space once we hit spring here.
Old January 18, 2024   #20
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I stop in every day and have for 15 years, but I don't spend much time these days as there are so few new posts. Still I enjoy the site.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2024   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I check in every day too.
I've wandered into the world of Hydroponics, starting with an Aerogarden "Harvest" (which is great for lettuces), then two more systems because I want to grow cukes and beans and maybe a micro tomato or two! Along the way, I found the Kratky system, and am using mason jars, just to get the feel of it before venturing into bigger containers.
I can't decide whether to start my veggie seeds in an Aerogarden this season or stick with the old grow lights in the basement. it's supposed to be a lot faster in the AG.......
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2024   #22
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I stop in every day as well. Nice to see so many familiar names still here, hoping to chat about and learn about tomatoes. We've got snow on the ground and more on the way tomorrow, unusual for here in Virginia, but I'm starting to get excited about the garden. Nearly time!
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2024   #23
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I check in every day too.
I've wandered into the world of Hydroponics, starting with an Aerogarden "Harvest" (which is great for lettuces), then two more systems because I want to grow cukes and beans and maybe a micro tomato or two! Along the way, I found the Kratky system, and am using mason jars, just to get the feel of it before venturing into bigger containers.
I can't decide whether to start my veggie seeds in an Aerogarden this season or stick with the old grow lights in the basement. it's supposed to be a lot faster in the AG.......
I got an aerogarden and agree about the lettuce. Mine grows a basil, a cutting celery, lettuce, and other things get experimented with. I have not tried cucumbers inside.
I have not yet found a cherry tomato that was very tasty.

Regarding using it to start transplants, yes, it does work, but I didn't think it optimal. Timing can be tricky: while some plants in a pot can wait a couple of days if the weather is uncooperative, inside it might grow to the point you will shock it very badly by potting it up and setting it out in indirect sun.

I failed miserably with some flowers last year.

Tomatoes DO work well, and you can get a clone or two and still have the original as well. It's kinda cheating, but ONE seed of an expensive hybrid could be two or three in your garden.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2024   #24
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Eyolf thanks for the info about seed starting. I was planning on keeping them in an AG for a month, then potting up into potting mix and keeping them under lights for another month, but it does worry me about changing mediums and stressing the seedlings.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2024   #25
galleri
Tomatovillian™

I have lurked off and on for the last few years. Might as well come out and say hi! Try to get myself to use the forum more often.
galleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2024   #26
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I'm here, just spinning lots of plates these days. Got my humble eight plants started though.
Old January 23, 2024   #27
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hey Bill. I am busy hunting from Sept thru Jan but will be getting back in the planting swing soon.

I think a lot of it is just that webforums are in decline...the new blood with curiousity that needs questions answered goes and searches youtube nowadays.

How did your okra do last year, any good? I am due for a good year up here.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2024   #28
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I think a lot of it is just that webforums are in decline...the new blood with curiousity that needs questions answered goes and searches youtube nowadays.
Being one of the "webforum" users offers answers to questions on a mostly personal level from folks who actually have experience. You Tube may be OK but I would never have been able to make personal friendships with some of the really well known tomato growing experts...and peppers and melons and..... if not for the old school modern websites. Carolyn, Craig, Tatianna, Fred, Darrell, Tom, and even Darrell Kellogg and I would never had personal discussions if social media was relied upon. In my remaining gardening years I will steadfastly remain on the gardening websites frequented over the years, me here since Jan 2006...not many 2006ers left.
Old January 24, 2024   #29
kurt
Tomatovillian™

While you are here,here are your EML,second set,thanx,first succumbed to the humid conditions plus 90 plus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (206.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0437.jpg (96.5 KB, 55 views)
Old January 24, 2024   #30
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I stop in here and also agree that seeing the older posts from familiar people here help me a lot when researching tomatoes to grow. This year I am thinking of doing 100 plants with varieties I have never before grown. It is invaluable to go back and see what people here recorded and what they liked or disliked about them. Fun to see folks chiming in now too!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote