Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 28, 2016   #481
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Of course, it is the picture in post 47 of that thread that has peeked my interest. I haven't seen any reports on flavor. Curious minds need to know.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2016   #482
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Of course, it is the picture in post 47 of that thread that has peeked my interest. I haven't seen any reports on flavor. Curious minds need to know.
Shouldn't that be curious mouths need to know b/c taste perceptions are transmitted to the cluster of brain cells dedicated to tomato taste.

I'll ask if any of my seed producers who are growing Ribera have anything close to ripe.I can't really tell from inside if one of my pinetree looking tomato plants with practically no foliage is a Ribera one.I do see some large green fruits out there but there are other large ones as well that they could be.

There's also the issue that in Spain they pull the plants when the fruits are only slightly ripe,so I don't know how this fits into the picture either.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2016   #483
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default long day at the office

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I agree, being multi-lingual is an excellent ability to have, and also agree with Carolyn about Latin, since it is the root of several languages. Staring so young, when the mind is pliable and accepting, plus having access to classes in other languages from native speakers at reasonable costs is such a stroke of luck!

I keep struggling with Spanish though, and have Audible Spanish tapes tapes to listen to and attempt to learn from. I may mangle it, but will keep trying as I think it is important and a major language to be able to at least understand.

I wish both you and your son many happy years, enjoying and learning languages together.
Mil gracias!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Instead of me trying to teach the guys I have worked with English I try to learn Spanish from them.
This way I get good stuff at the Taco truck not the gringo egg and potato.
Plus it helps me with my work and asking for tools and such.
It really isn't that hard many of the words are one we use for different things.
By the time it is over we are both speaking a mix of both.
Been a long time though.
Screw=tornillo very close to tornado.
Es=is.
Ladder=escalera think rise.
Hammer=martillo very close to mallet.
Martin martillo grande y escalera amarillo.
It was this or pull my hair out and get mad.

Worth
Escalera think to scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The catch about learning another language is that if you don't use it, you lose it. Even a person's native tongue can be forgotten if he or she leaves the company of native speakers for long enough.

I once had a girlfriend from the Dominican Republic. She came to the US at 16, speaking no English. I knew her about ten years after that. At one point I asked her, "do you think in Spanish or English?" She had to ponder the question for a moment. She said that it had been long enough since she arrived here, using English every day, that by now she thought mostly in English.

I took a couple years of Latin in high school. It did help with learning legal terms, many of which are Latin. But it made me a pronunciation snob. Since Latin is dead as a spoken language, modern people tend to break pronunciation rules to make it sound more like English. For example, Veni Vidi Vici, (I came, I saw, I conquered) would have been pronounced by Caesar as "Winnie, Widdie, Wickie," which sounds kind of silly in English, like a quote from Elmer Fudd.
Good friend of mine came to visit and he had a masters in classics and spoke only a few words of spanish, it was fun to watch him navigate everything with ease. I was in a similar boat to your Dominican lady, you have to dive in to the language, and in doing so you shed a little of all the others, nevertheless, with relatively little effort you can keep those neuron tracts for the other languages spic-n-span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Shouldn't that be curious mouths need to know b/c taste perceptions are transmitted to the cluster of brain cells dedicated to tomato taste.

I'll ask if any of my seed producers who are growing Ribera have anything close to ripe.I can't really tell from inside if one of my pinetree looking tomato plants with practically no foliage is a Ribera one.I do see some large green fruits out there but there are other large ones as well that they could be.

There's also the issue that in Spain they pull the plants when the fruits are only slightly ripe,so I don't know how this fits into the picture either.

Carolyn

Carolyn
The trusses are big on La Ribera, as with most multifloras the fruit set is pretty dismal, and it may been related to bug attacks and harsh weather.

De Colgar 100 averaged about 8-10 per truss.
Papuo 3-9 per truss range, a lot of 3s
La Ribera had lots of flowers and not so great fruit set, with the above qualifiers.

I've harvested fruits and am waiting for them to ripen, so it may be a long wait. They had reached color on the vine for the most part. There's a few I've tried for fresh eating and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to eat them.

The correct way is to wait 3 mos and then smear them on bread.

I've got seedlings for the above three destined for a 2nd fall run, this time with a lot more water restriction.

I should have plenty of seeds for papuo and 100, not so many for La Ribera. In a few months, yes, plenty. I hope.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #484
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Carolyn

Carolyn
Don't know anybody that pulls plants when fruits are slightly ripe.

if you meant trushes, you want to pick when half of just over half of tomatoes have some color. That means some will be totally ripe, some green. That is for maximum storage. For fresh eating pick fully ripe.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #485
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

The trusses are big on La Ribera, as with most multifloras the fruit set is pretty dismal, and it may been related to bug attacks and harsh weather.

De Colgar 100 averaged about 8-10 per truss.
Papuo 3-9 per truss range, a lot of 3s
La Ribera had lots of flowers and not so great fruit set, with the above qualifiers.

I've harvested fruits and am waiting for them to ripen, so it may be a long wait. They had reached color on the vine for the most part. There's a few I've tried for fresh eating and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to eat them.

The correct way is to wait 3 mos and then smear them on bread.
both papuo and 100 en pom de la Ribera are very good for fresh eating. Very good intense flavour and very good texture with a lot of aroma. I have papuo in the amazing category. Let some ripen on the vine.

Taste in de colgar tomatoes is usually quite different from normal tomatoes.
Old August 29, 2016   #486
imp
Tomatovillian™

ilex, what is the best way to store the tomatoes, to ripen through the winter months?

I have both a butler's pantry area and a basement, both temp stable on the cooler to cold side in winter, but the basement is darker. Would either of those do to string tomatoes up?

If the basement would work, have open rafters there, though the ceiling is lower and I would have to remember to not use any of the floor joists that have some of the old knob and tube wiring running along them yet! Could get a shock!

Last edited by imp; August 29, 2016 at 10:44 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #487
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
Don't know anybody that pulls plants when fruits are slightly ripe.

if you meant trushes, you want to pick when half of just over half of tomatoes have some color. That means some will be totally ripe, some green. That is for maximum storage. For fresh eating pick fully ripe.
I go back to the picture of the elderly man holding the whole plant of Ribera which was not inground but had been pulled.

So if I'm wrong,I'm wrong,and it wouldn't be the first time.

I also remember some wonderful pictures posted somewhere here of de colgar types,hanging from rafters to ripen and those were whole plants.

Where did I go wrong,I know you'll tell me.

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2016   #488
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
both papuo and 100 en pom de la Ribera are very good for fresh eating. Very good intense flavour and very good texture with a lot of aroma. I have papuo in the amazing category. Let some ripen on the vine.

Taste in de colgar tomatoes is usually quite different from normal tomatoes.
I will do that.

The 1st plants were/are being grown using RGGS tubes, so the tomatoes are a bit diluted, nevertheless, they do possess a fair amount of flavor and the texture is outstanding.

I have new plants that will grow in water restricted containers to help concentrate the flavor, we still have a lot of sun left for Sep and Oct, so they should produce well, and hopefully I can weave a few long ristras.

Macizo de Monserrat is a great dwarf plant.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 29, 2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old August 29, 2016   #489
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for superhots

Yesterday I was a vendor at a large festival called "Festival de Chiles en Nogada." It's a traditional Mexican dish the nuns whipped up as a last minute recipe for some important visiting clergy, and they went bonkers for it and it endures to present day.
The particulars of the restraining order filed against me by cheese precludes from partaking.

I'd read about superhots being finicky germinators so I doubled up on the amount of seeds and they germinated extremely well, meaning surplus plants.

I transplanted them into brand new 4 in pots and made them look nice with a sticker and hydroton as mulch. It was amazing to see how everyone's eyes gravitated to the pebbles. They could care less about the plants, the hydroton was new to many.
Ended up selling practically all of the superhots. Only a few were to males, for the most part it was older ladies.

I was honest and told them why I was growing them, and most seemed to immediately invoke a particular person. I could almost see their wheels turning. And then they merrily walked away with a Carolina Reaper or a Trinidad M or a 7-Pot or a Bhut seedling hidden in a paper bag.

It was a successful day. Thank you generous pepper folks for making it happen.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 30, 2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old August 29, 2016   #490
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And what does this refer to may I ask, and yes,I just asked?

(The particulars of the restraining order filed against me by cheese precludes from partaking.)

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2016   #491
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And what does this refer to may I ask, and yes,I just asked?

(The particulars of the restraining order filed against me by cheese precludes from partaking.)

Carolyn
Cheese and I do not get along, we are like the Clantons and the Earps.
Old August 30, 2016   #492
imp
Tomatovillian™

Cream and cheese both in that dish- I looked it up, <smile>. Images of presentation look

Learned 2 new words, too- that's right food will do it! LOL.lovely.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #493
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I go back to the picture of the elderly man holding the whole plant of Ribera which was not inground but had been pulled.

So if I'm wrong,I'm wrong,and it wouldn't be the first time.

I also remember some wonderful pictures posted somewhere here of de colgar types,hanging from rafters to ripen and those were whole plants.

Where did I go wrong,I know you'll tell me.

Carolyn
He's not holding a plant, just a trush at each hand. Those leaves are part of the fruit flush. There are two varieties one at each hand. They are usually picked at the stage of the one at his left hand, or slightly more ripe.

Now that I've grown quite a few 100 en pom de la Ribera and look at the picture, I'm afraid to say it's not that one At least I'm getting something else from that variety (and I got the seeds from the man in the picture). I'm getting nipples and no ribs.
Old August 30, 2016   #494
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Cream and cheese both in that dish- I looked it up, <smile>. Images of presentation look

Learned 2 new words, too- that's right food will do it! LOL.lovely.
It sure is a pretty dish eh? It was a patriotic celebration, so it integrated the colors of the flag, and your other words for the day are verde, blanco, y colorado, just like the river.
Old August 31, 2016   #495
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Drip irrigation functioning

Emitters and 1/4 in tube placement finalized on 30 + containers.

These are the recent additions, most at the 1st cluster stage. All duplicates unless noted.

Alka
Arbuzynyi
Chang Li x4
Cherokee Purple
Copper River x8
Cowlick's x4
Dark Italian
Everett's Rusty Oxheart
Gallego x4
Grandee
kornesevsije
koroleva
L Skorospelyi x4
Lavender Lake x6
Macizo de Monserrat x4
Malachite x6
Mikhalych x4
NAR
Negrillo de Almoguera
Noire Charbonneuse x4
Papuo
Patty's Striped Bfstk
Paul Robeson x4
Pruden's Purple x4
RAF
Rosella Purple
Speckled Roman
V. Ukho
Winsall
Zarca x6

A lot more diligent on buzzing flowers, and the results are showing. Joseph's HX-9, 100 Pudov, Marianna's Peace and Moskvich have killer fruit set.

Baby Doll F1 watermelons appear to be stunted, so I may drop new seeds of Blacktail mountain instead.

I still have to pot up about 20 slots on the tubes, also with duplicates.

Breaking out the 25 and 45 gal rootpots for tomatoes, and the 100 gal for carrots.

Setting up the 25 gal roopots with adjustable multistream drippers. There will be a total of 10, three plants in each, single-double stems + CRW cage.

Lots of sun left. In about a week I'll drop more seeds for the winter batch.