Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 4, 2012   #91
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Limei,

Thank you for the feedback. "Floradade" (aka "Flora-Dade") is an impressive old-timer (1976?) and it's good to hear it did well for your mother. It has done well here in both greenhouse and field, and it seems to have some disease tolerance built in. Interestingly, for me, the early season Floradade tomatoes were better tasting than those harvested later in the season - the opposite of other varieties. Some of the newer creations from Randy Gardner should also do well for your mom. I need to try them myself. Check out:
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/MOUNTAI...ductinfo/3213/

Did the OP version of "Fourth of July" do anything for you or your mom? I appreciate any feedback (good or bad) on it's performance. Thanks!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #92
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
I'm happy to announce Heritage Tomato Seed is now offering all 9 of the new dwarfs introduced last year by the Dwarf Tomato Project:
http://heritagetomatoseed.com/catego...omato-project/
I am also in the process of listing our other tomato additions and hope to have them completed in early November.

As an introduction, Heritage Tomato Seed is a joint venture between my sister Marla and myself. We are still (this our third year) a very small tomato seed company and we save all of our own heirloom/OP tomato seeds.

Marla has been an avid gardener all of her life and operates our Sacramento, CA trial garden - she also does most of the blossom bagging, tomato grafting and is the only one of us that can read, and understand, a scientific paper on plant genetics. She is the brains behind the business - I'm sure she would agree.

I (Steve) run the San Diego trial garden, fill the seed orders, and do the website stuff. I have raised dahlias commercially, as cut flowers, for 30 years, so I am much more of an expert on dahlias than on tomatoes, but I'm observant, and am learning fast.

Thanks to Mischka for creating Tomatoville and thanks to everyone here for sharing your tomato growing experiences. I find the information here invaluable.

Steve

http://heritagetomatoseed.com/

Hello Steve

I know this is an old post, but is your Summertime Gold just as beautiful as the Sweet Scaret Dwarf plant.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #93
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Steve

I know this is an old post, but is your Summertime Gold just as beautiful as the Sweet Scaret Dwarf plant.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
Hi Joyce,

Compared to what you are probably seeing on Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Summertime Gold is a slightly taller plant with smaller PL foliage. But, all of the project Dwarfs have that distinctive, "cute" look going for them.

Steve
Old August 10, 2012   #94
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Joyce,

Compared to what you are probably seeing on Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Summertime Gold is a slightly taller plant with smaller PL foliage. But, all of the project Dwarfs have that distinctive, "cute" look going for them.

Steve
You are right about that. If I am going to grow a Hybrid I want it to be beautiful and taste good, like the Green Zebra's. Believe it are not " I have more Coorongs tomatoes growing per plant than my beautiful Sweet Scarlet. I had no other choice but to grow the project dwarfs nare my deck where I feed the Birds each year, to keep them away from my Heirloom Farm Area. Well It must taste good, because every out-side animal has eaten my sweet scarlets. So one day I decide to put off a beautiful greem one that had a little corol on the bottom. I waited a week for full color, than my grandchild eat it because her middle name is very simular to Scarlet. I guess she was thinging that tomato plant of grandma's was perrty like herself, and i must eat it first.

As for my Coorong: nothing eats it. I think because of the very strong deep deep tomato taste. I am going to bag the whole plant today out of this netting metrial that the sun can get through for the new forming flowers.
Old August 10, 2012   #95
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Joyce, your grandchild has good taste - I think Craig and Patrina are anxious to stabilize Sweet Scarlet Dwarf and get it released to the public. Hopefully, in a few years it will be available to everyone, it is a very good tomato. It sounds like you are having fun working on the project!

Steve
Old August 11, 2012   #96
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I am having much fun with my first out-side project.

I hope it "will not" take that long.
Old August 11, 2012   #97
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I just looked it up on Tatianas date site to see your decription of the plant. You are right is a beautiful plant but not as beautiful as the Sweet Scarlet. Here is her pictures on the plant.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Summertime_Gold

I am so pround of you-all research, because many people are living in apartments, but wants to grow tomatoes. You-all research is giving them this oppurtunity, I am glad to finaly help out, . I never thought this project would be so joyful to my soul.
Old August 14, 2012   #98
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Joyce, your grandchild has good taste - I think Craig and Patrina are anxious to stabilize Sweet Scarlet Dwarf and get it released to the public. Hopefully, in a few years it will be available to everyone, it is a very good tomato. It sounds like you are having fun working on the project!

Steve
Yes, I give a special thanks to Graig ana Patriina for letting me help out with this project:

Here is a picture of Coorong & Green zebra cooking with my lamp chops just to get a feel of having to different strong tasting Tomatoe tgether. it was good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamp with tomatoes 039.JPG (623.2 KB, 112 views)
Old August 14, 2012   #99
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have to say I have not ever had much luck with Green Zebra! I keep trying and it keeps breaking my heart!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #100
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

SharonRossy,
You should try Green Zebra Cherry (and Heritage sells it), it's been fabulous this year. So prolific and SWEET! It has gone on my "grow every year" list.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #101
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I have to say I have not ever had much luck with Green Zebra! I keep trying and it keeps breaking my heart!
Sharon
I sorry about that: I treat & grow my Green Zebra's just like Heirlooms. It loves to grow in natural organic soil,
Old August 14, 2012   #102
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
SharonRossy,
You should try Green Zebra Cherry (and Heritage sells it), it's been fabulous this year. So prolific and SWEET! It has gone on my "grow every year" list.
That new to me: do it taste like the Green Zebra at all.
Old August 14, 2012   #103
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Green Zebra is always really tart for me. Green Zebra Cherry is sweet and very tasty. The two tomatoes are not related at all. The cherries start out light green with dark green stripes, then when they are ripe, the light green turns to orange. They are large cherries, maybe the size of a ping pong ball. Highly recommended!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #104
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Joyce, my experience with Green Zebra and Green Zebra Cherry is the same as Robin's - two completely different tomatoes. We received our Green Zebra Cherry seeds from Carolyn through her SSE offerings 2 years ago and were surprised at it's flavor and size of the seeds (for a cherry). GZC also carries a recessive gene for variegated leaves and, although it is only expressed at an early (4-5 leaf) stage, and is not obvious without careful examination, it is there, and can be observed on a fair percentage of seedlings.

Now you will have to make beautiful lamb chops with Green Zebra Cherry

Steve
Old August 16, 2012   #105
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Joyce, my experience with Green Zebra and Green Zebra Cherry is the same as Robin's - two completely different tomatoes. We received our Green Zebra Cherry seeds from Carolyn through her SSE offerings 2 years ago and were surprised at it's flavor and size of the seeds (for a cherry). GZC also carries a recessive gene for variegated leaves and, although it is only expressed at an early (4-5 leaf) stage, and is not obvious without careful examination, it is there, and can be observed on a fair percentage of seedlings.

Now you will have to make beautiful lamb chops with Green Zebra Cherry

Steve
Steve, as I recall you weren't the only one to see leaf variegation on Green Zebra Cherry. Right? I know it was mentioned by a few others as well.

I've been thinking about that. First, when Manfred Hahm found what he named Green Zebra Cherry in a small box of mixed charries, he was able to trace those cherries back to the Netherlands.

Variegata is said to have first appeared in Ireland. And I know that it was grown in Europe before we ever knew of it here in the US. I also know that the name of Variegata was changed in the following way.

I got seeds for what was called Splash of Cream from a man in TX who had a catalogue with some interesting perennials and some veggies. I asked him where he got the Splash ones from and he gave me the e-mail address of someone in either Belgium or France, I don't remember which without checking that out.

I e-mailed this person only to find that he had received seeds as Variegata but changed the name to Splash of Cream b'c of a flower variety that had variegated foliage.

I've tried desperately to get the name Splash of Cream changed back to the initial name of Variegata, with not total success.

I was very good friends of Kees Sahin, of Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands, he passed away a few years ago, and almost at the same time that I listed Variegata in the SSE YEarbook he had sent them seeds for same.

And he took on as Garden Manager at one time the son of the owner of a very large tomato breeding company,again, I can't remember the name but it could have been something called Enzada, who still breed lots of great hybrids.

So I've wondered if Variegata got passed around in the Netherlands and in some way was used in cherry tomato breeding, not hybrids, but OP's, and that's why recessive genes for variegation are found in Green Zebra Cherry as named by Manfred, but I have no idea at all if any of the cherries in that mixed box of them ever had a name, I doubt it, and were bred just for export sales primarily in Europe.

The large size of the seeds in GZC has always interested me as well.

Ok, fun to speculate which is exactly what I've been doing here.