Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2018   #2266
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to read those in the path of flooding are safe now, at least for the now.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #2267
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nan that sounds like a scary drive!
We flipped the switch yesterday into 'normal' summer weather. First two weeks of June were tied for the coldest on record, but for now the ten day forecast looks great - just a couple of cold days, one day of rain, and the rest will see some sun and in the ballpark of 70 F.
Last night was the first time I slept with my window open this year. When I cranked the window last night I could hear faraway singing of frogs. And woken this morning by ravens about their business - seemed like they had a variety of messages to deliver.
Happy solstice everyone, I hope you enjoy a long fruitful day, and a safe one!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #2268
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Happy Solstice! With all the rain, the American Toads are gathered in my little ponds and are singing away, trying to attract females & make more toads. They're some of my best garden workers, eating bugs. I love the toadsong.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #2269
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Dunno what to say,volcanoes eruptin Texas under water,I am tryin at 10 b.93 index,donnie boy,tariff, and FIFA.busy busy..
Old June 22, 2018   #2270
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Nan, we were predicted to get a nice 0.76" of that rain when it came across the other night. As usual, we got 0.01"... if that. I watered well the next morning.

I'm putting in bush beans today, and I actually put down black mulch first to retain moisture. I will plant soaked seed through that in my raised boxes. Other than being a bit dry, it is still beautiful here. Not a lick of blight yet, except a little spotting on the rhubarb.

If not for the internet I would have no reason to think other areas were having any crazy weather.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #2271
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

At 4pm it is 104F (40C) at my house. The temperature gauge is 6' from the ground in full shade. The other gauge on the front of my house agrees. It is 5' off the ground.

The tomato plants are not enjoying this day in the sun.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #2272
imp
Tomatovillian™

Even our local predictions are all over 100 for the next week, here at the house it's usually 2 to 4 degrees hotter than their "take" on the highs.
Old June 23, 2018   #2273
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I still have heat bleeding off at 11pm (I didn't find a definition for that) It's when your body is releasing excess heat. From this site: https://www.indiatimes.com/health/he...dy-242467.html

What causes excess heat in body?

• Diseases, fever and neurological disorders.
• Abnormal thyroid activity, which causes an increase in metabolism and therefore leads to excess heat production.
• Prolonged exposure to the sun.
• Hot and humid weather.

I just learned something. I have known about the last two I put in bold for all of my life, but the first one on that list about the neurological disorders... I just thought I was getting older and don't take the heat as well as I used to. I'll have to research it a lot more now.
Old June 23, 2018   #2274
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I buy freeze-pops in bulk and always have them in the freezer. When I get overheated, I eat a few.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #2275
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I just avoid the heat of the day. I usually go outside early and do what needs done and then by 10 am I head inside. We have been cooler lately (90f) but it's climbing again.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #2276
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I may have to start taking a shower twice a month not once a month it is so hot.

worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #2277
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I stayed up late last night as a thunderstorm was headed for us with hail and high winds. There was a beautiful lightning show - the kind that doesn't strike the ground/trees/etc. It fell apart about 10 miles to our west without a drop of rain for us.

Because it was so late, I slept until 9am this morning. There's thunder just a few miles to our south moving east away from us. Oh well, it adds up to less mowing.
Old June 24, 2018   #2278
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

it adds up to less mowing

Why I have never watered my lawn. Why chase after a lawn mower when that time could be spent at the beach!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #2279
imp
Tomatovillian™

Haven't had more than just a bare sprinkle for some time, and we are hitting the hundreds or over now. Good that it cools to the high 70's at night though late or early morning depending on how you look at it. Humidity is staying under 505, so that helps a lot, too.

Still not turning on the air as yet A pedestal fan and the two ceiling fans help a lot along with the big windows at night to cool it down some. I'm adjusting to the heat, but the other night it got down to 72 as I was sleeping with a good breeze coming through and I got cold! Pulled up my blanket part way and was giggling to myself about needing a blanket in late June in Texas!!!

Sure hope RxKeith and all the folks up north who had the flooding are doing better by now. That caused a lot of destruction.
Old June 25, 2018   #2280
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here we go again with the cold weather - 40 F and foggy today, a load of rain starting tonight and all day tomorrow with a high of 45 F and NE winds gusting to 80 kph.
And bouncing right back with high of 68 F and then 77 F on Weds and Thurs.

One thing about today, the ground is damp from yesterday's rain and it's nice weather for working with a pick, turning over sod and working on some new beds I didn't quite finish earlier.
Tomorrow will not be an outdoor day. Very very wet.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote