Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2019   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Taking a year off from tomato / gardening is fine and is sometimes needed or wanted. Each of us are different. This goes for any beloved hobby. Some of us stop for a year and never go back to those beloved hobbies. It's 100% whatever you choose to do.

If you want my personal advice - grow at least a few tomato plants.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Hello
Wondering if anyone has ever taken a Sabbatical ? I am a chef. Truly passionate about tomatoes. I grow about 70 plants each year. 20 + varieties in addition to everything else.
I'm considering a complete season of solorizing. rebuild soil. Vacationing etc...
Taking a break.

Is there life after .....?

Old chef

It sounds like you NEED to take a year off from gardening.

If so, start a plan. Do you think you'll be vacationing for a long term? That may rule out having just a plant or two at home, unless you have friends who could water (or pile on about 6" of mulch and hope for enough rain).

You may also want to search out tomato tasting events that you could travel to on a vacation. Finding a few great tasting tomatoes out on the road would likely ease the pain.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #18
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I garden primarily tomatoes and to me its a renewal of life. I'm 73 and each winter I look forward to starting about 40 plants, seeing them sprout, and seeing them blossom and set. I compare those that I grow in Earth Boxes to the 6 I grow in the ground. I want to do this until I cannot walk. And then I 'll hire some one to do the planting.

MikeInCypress
Old September 7, 2019   #19
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Gotta eat. Am not going to buy them in store. Plus all canning. Nah, can not do.
Although am planning on cutting down varieties and number of the plants.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2019   #20
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If you do take time off, you'll have a great many hours that need filling.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2019   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Why doesn't someone invent a perennial tomato? That would save a lot of time!!

Old Chef
Tomatoes ARE perennials - just not where you and I live .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2019   #22
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Just the thought of not gardening for a whole year made me twitchy!! The past two years my garden has been total refuse but I am planning for next year!!
Old September 9, 2019   #23
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes there is life after. I bought a new house last year and planted a few plants in pots. The deer ate them in short order. I survived. Planned the beds for the next year. And after a year off, I was rejuvenated, chomping at the bit and ready to go. I did amazing things this year after having a year off.
So... Enjoy your sabbatical. No worries.
Old September 9, 2019   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

This was my supposed year off from tomatoes. But I ended up with just ten plants. I've ignored them pretty much, except they have to be watered and the greenhouse opened in the morning, enough to add a half hour to my morning routine anyway and enough to make it awkward to be away. I'm sure it's easier if they're just in the garden outdoors getting by on the rain, but you don't want to come home and find a rat is having them either. You'll feel that you should be tendng them whenever you're close enough to drop by the garden, and they will take whatever you have to give. For a real sabbatical IMO better to have none, do the solarizing, try the tomato tastings route. And have fun!!! And be really refreshed.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Bower! I cant believe you said that!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
My main issue is I don't live year round where I have the garden. So, when I get to Long Island for weekends, I am missing too many family outings and events because I am in the Garden.
Sure I love my garden. I have had a garden for at least 50 years. Why doesn't someone invent a perennial tomato? That would save a lot of time!!

Old Chef
I totally get that. I have been doing farmers markets for about 10 years and a roadside stand. I missed my brothers wedding this past weekend as I can't tell my garden to take a sabbatical for a weekend. what do I do with about 800.00+ worth of food? I can't throw it away nor can I save it until next weekend.. so anything not close enough to drive to in the afternoon on a Saturday doesn't get attended.