Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2019   #31
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

They are all staying in the 1 gallon pots which don't take up much space so I'll let them go to fruit.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019   #32
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
these are the 82x F2 fuzzy carrot leaves. They aren't as hairy as the picolo gato, I have 8 plants, probably will germinate 4 more. I'm more partial to the ones with thinner leaves.
Nice. How many did you start to come up with those 8?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #33
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Nice. How many did you start to come up with those 8?
10, but lost one because it was a bit wet.
Old May 26, 2019   #34
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
10, but lost one because it was a bit wet.
They are F2 seeds. I'm not sure how all the genes interact but I think we are working with two recessive genes in the fuzzy and carrot leaf. If they act like normal recessive genes, about one in four will have the carrot leaf and one in four will have the fuzzy leaf. That's why there is the difference in leaf type in those you show. Most won't be carrot leaf or fuzzy. So, approximately one in four will be carrot leaf and one in four of those will be fuzzy. So, about one in 16 will be both fuzzy and carrot leaf if you're lucky. Those look a little fuzzy, but I don't think there is what I would call a fuzzy carrot leaf.

That is why I always say plant LOTS and cull heavy. Most of the plants will not be what you are looking for at this stage of the game. Once you have found a carrot leaf, a fuzzy leaf or a fuzzy carrot leaf, all the offspring should carry the traits going forward.

Here is a photo of an F4 fuzzy carrot leaf I'm growing. At the F2 stage, I started a few hundred seeds to find a few with both traits to work with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuzzy Carrot Leaf.jpg (246.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Fuzzy Carrot Leaf2.jpg (271.7 KB, 168 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #35
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Oakley, have you ever tasted a "Lady William" and was the flavor good? How does one obtain seeds for the "Lady William"? I still have one of Dan's growing - I believe a 33X RRXRQ F4 TyDyeXPork Chop - I have taken several cuttings in last 2 yrs. - I am bad at keeping track/records - I got "Life Busy" and apologize for that. I will post a pic of plant tomorrow - picked and ate 1 from winter plant - not great but ok.
If the "Lady William" is good, how would I acquire seeds?
Thank You
Pete

Last edited by tryno12; May 26, 2019 at 01:39 AM. Reason: incomplete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #36
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Here is Dan's #33X prob f5
Pete

Sorry about the sideways - don't know whyYY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #33X.jpg (472.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg #33X Closeup.jpg (437.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by tryno12; May 26, 2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Picture
Old May 26, 2019   #37
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Retry on Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #33X Closeup Redo.jpg (437.5 KB, 156 views)
Old May 26, 2019   #38
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Here are the Cherry's I picked today from the 33X
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (163.5 KB, 162 views)
Old May 27, 2019   #39
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Oakley, have you ever tasted a "Lady William" and was the flavor good? How does one obtain seeds for the "Lady William"? I still have one of Dan's growing - I believe a 33X RRXRQ F4 TyDyeXPork Chop - I have taken several cuttings in last 2 yrs. - I am bad at keeping track/records - I got "Life Busy" and apologize for that. I will post a pic of plant tomorrow - picked and ate 1 from winter plant - not great but ok.
If the "Lady William" is good, how would I acquire seeds?
Thank You
Pete
I only save seed from the best taste to move forward. Second I look for size and in this case multi-flora.
Really don't care how cute they are. Too many choices to not like the flavor. This round of plants are starting
to flower. Once fruit proves true to my liking...and size, I will immediately plant another flat for late
summer/fall fruit. repeat. Like I posted, they are growing at the seedling stage rather stable.

Best to be patient when growing and advancing a selection. Giving them 'working names' helps to
divide the best from the others. Names are so secondary but easier for me and family to 'talk' about them.

I see no reason yet to share seed until I see a stable line. I'm using a full tray of seed each planting. Over a hundred. Saving a batch for back-up if I have a starting/seeding fail.

I so suggest looking at all dFollette has to offer and committing to a personal grow out project.

I selected a dark cherry and ran with it. And will offer seed eventually.

(take pics in landscape mode on a cell phone and they will be proper format when loading)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019   #40
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Oakley,
Pete
Old May 29, 2019   #41
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Update: after a couple days ripening they taste great!!
Pete
Old June 3, 2019   #42
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Picalo Gato is the earliest ripe fruit in my garden so far. Probably 85days from germination. Spent 2/3rd of that time indoor. Fruit is a large cherry, 1.5 inches long.

I'll comment on the taste once I tasted a few from both plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190603_175543.jpg (250.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190603_175635.jpg (338.5 KB, 131 views)
Old June 9, 2019   #43
loeb
Tomatovillian™

I am subscribing to this thread.. too pretty to let it go And its exactly what I wanted to do, just mine would be + variegated.. Uh... those "culling" advices really seems to be important, as I am usually very bad at culling and I'm just stuffing my friends and neighbours with leftover plants and doing some guerilla tomato planting wherever I can:/
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019   #44
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Picolo Gato F6:
The earliest fruits are big. Skin color is pink I believe, not red. The flavor is good, it's mildly sweet and mildly tart, low acid. Maybe it could be sweeter if it was grown in bigger container with more sun, as it has been raining for an entire week.

The skin is a little thick, but not much. It have that hairy texture similar to the leaves. I don't think many people would enjoy this in their salad because texture of the skin reminds somewhat of kiwi. I don't mind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190619_180115_.jpg (305.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; June 19, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old June 22, 2019   #45
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Here's a clearer photo with more pinkish color. Actually after more tasting, they are decently sweet and quite tasty. Very much recommended if you don't mind the hair on the skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190622_193955.jpg (228.9 KB, 69 views)