Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old May 23, 2009   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG Planted So Far Report & etc

Well, I finally got 22 tomato plants in the ground [17 types], but still have to mulch around the plants and put down weedblock and put up cages. Between the heat, my dilapidated body/bones and old age creeping up on me I can only do gardening stuff in the mornings anymore. Still got that number again to get planted plus other stuff like peppers, beans, squash and etc. My earth containers are starting to get planted also, herbs in some and etc. Got one with small cukes on vines.

Anyone got anything planted they'd like to report on?

Too, Gary you gave me a tomato plant at the meet and it wasn't named. Any idea what it might be.
Old May 23, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I had 5 tomtoes planted at the swap. I got 20 more put in before that cold wet spell hit us. So they sat there and did nothing but look poopy'er every day. I thought even as late as this past weekend I was going to have to trash them all because they looked like they had every disease and virus I'd see pics of. Now I'm thinking it must have been the cold weather working them over, cause they are looking good now. Yay!
I have 24 peppers planted, a couple of zuke hills and today I planted 3 rows of green beans. 2 cherry tomatoes are in a container on the deck (flowering) and 2 deck peppers planted. I still have 4 tomatoes to get in the ground and some giant pumpkins. My heirloom onions look fantastic, as does the horseradish. The crows and canada geese have been feasting on the sweet corn so much, I think we're going to have to do another planting.
I think I'll lay down newspaper under the cages and then straw over that to try and keep the grass down in this new mater patch. I'll work on that in the morning cause it's been darn hot today. I planted my green beans this morning and I think the sweat dripping off my face probably watered them right in.
Amy or Tony, if you read this, my hubby forgot before we even got home what medium you used in your pots this year. All he could remember was Piqua, Ohio. So I'll need to find that out and write it down immediately.
Old May 24, 2009   #3
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Hey Earl!! .......and everyone else too

Sorry that I haven't been around for a while.
I've been preoccupied with some pretty intense issues the last year or so and
tomatoes kind of got put on the back burner. (Terry, you know some of it.)

But, this year I decided that I was going to get my beds in shape and raise some toms.
Having the toms in the ground and seeing them grow is good for the soul.

I have 18 plants in the ground including:
Mule Team
Arkansas Traveler
Paragon Livingston
Soldaki
Mortgage Lifter
Annas Noir
and Green Zebra for the wife

I also have 24 Genovese Basil plants, 2 Rosemary, 2 cilantro and several rows of
Vidalia onions in the ground.

I'm pretty happy with the beds so far since I have several toms starting already!

I have one Mule Team that is about 2" now and and a few Arkansas Travelers that
are about the size of a marble.

That frost the other night hurt my basil just a bit.
The top leaves got a little touch but not enough to do much damage, toms came
through just fine.

I have to admit, I cheated a bit this year.
I bought my plants from the Ohio Historical Society and they were about 10-12" tall when I bought them.
The Adena Mansion is here in Chillicothe and they have a plant sale every spring, so, nothing from seed this year.

But, they are heirlooms and they are growing.

I've really missed talking with you guys.......