Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 19, 2009   #16
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Tomato Tasting and Living History Interview

I’m so looking forward to the CHOPTAG Tomato Tasting; this is one of the highlights of the year for me. In addition, I thought I would share something about the Living History Interview I will be having the first of next week. It will involve my experience with gardening, garden stories, and stories about heirloom tomatoes, I am sure! Following the interview, we have planned a light Lunch with some of the things from the Kentucky Garden I helped get started at Blackacre Nature Preserve.

Some weeks ago I received a letter from Kate Black who is the archivest. of the Appalachian Collection at the University Of Kentucky. Her project is to interview gardeners in a living history context by recording the interview, picture taking and any printed matter shared. This information will become a part of the Appalachian Collection in the University Of Kentucky Library which is available for information and research. She is also considering it as a possible book publication. The interview date is set for August 25th. I have made arrangements to do this with friends at Blackacre, a Homestead from the 1700s here in Jefferson County. It is now a State Park and has lots of acreage. I spoke there in the spring to the Master Gardeners. June who is MG in charge of some projects discussed with me the possibility of a Kentucky Garden. I shared about 40 KY Heirloom Tomato varieties with them and some other heirloom seed/plant materials. I have the privilege of bagging blossoms there and marking for seed saving which pleases me so much. A friend who lives several miles distant from there lives on property which also was part of the original homestead; her family was related to the homesteaders. I have the same arrangement with her for bagging and seed saving.

Blackacre Nature Preserve
http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/depar...blackacre.html

Last edited by VGary; August 19, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old August 21, 2009   #17
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Gary, I think it's great that you're being recognized as a valuable resource by many folks for your experience and research on Kentucky heirloom tomatoes.
Your time and efforts are to be applauded !!!!!!
COGRATULATIONS !!!!
Old August 21, 2009   #18
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

OK folks - here's what I'm bringing. If you want to know what they are you’ll have to show up tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0092.jpg (273.0 KB, 41 views)
Old August 21, 2009   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Here's my loot. 21 varieties. Woot!

Old August 21, 2009   #20
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Mine are bagged up and ready to go.See you tomorrow. Susan
Old August 21, 2009   #21
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

I will be picking tommorow for maximum freshness ... the Lemon Salsa is ready to roll tho..How about a picture of Earl smokin' up a big pork butt for some pulled pork?..See everyone manana...

Ray
Old August 21, 2009   #22
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Tony and I are unable to make it. I double booked us and am in Louisville for the state fair....argh! Will miss you all. Can't wait to hear of the goodies you experience!
Amy
Old August 22, 2009   #23
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I will be there in spirit only I'm afraid. I miss all of my Choptag friends! Have a wonderful time and once you think you have ate all of the tomatoes you think you can.....take a deep breath...and eat some more!

HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Duane
Old August 22, 2009   #24
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

oh man. Thank you everyone! It was great to see Barbee, Gary, Jerry, Earl, Susan, Ray, the youngest tomato grower/prettiest contest winner, and everyone else! sorry, im on tomato-brain overload!

Thanks so much to Barbee, Earl, and the younger dark haired couple at the left back for the leftovers!

We visited my dad on the way home, and I bought a bag of ice to put over the cut tomatoes.... we got home and I threw the cut ones in pans in the oven with onions, garlic, roasted peppers, fresh basil and oregano.

Most of the larger whole tomatoes went into juice- I saved seeds from a number of them. Ill be bugging Barbee for her abbreviations list!

Gary said his friend in Appalachia does distribute seeds, but mostly of KY heirlooms- Barbee, do you have any place youd like the seeds donated or would you like them?

I dont grow a lot else, but ive got salad burnet seeds, and ill have borage, as well as seeds for the Romanian tomatoes. Let me know if I can do anything in return!

Cossak Pineapple ground cherry is one tasty fruit! im still processing thoughts on the large tomatoes, but we both like Stump of the World. my Jerry says thanks too!
Old August 22, 2009   #25
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hehe, came home and took a little nap! What a fun day
Garnet, the seeds are yours to do whatever you like. Donating them sounds great to me, if it's not too much trouble to do so. If Gary's friend doesn't want them, maybe the wintersown lady would like them. I believe she distributes free seeds to others but not sure. Maybe someone reading this can chime in on where to send them.

OK I pulled out my notes. I always write down standout tomatoes or I forget. Old age I guess Here's my standouts. These will all be in the running for garden spots next year:

Stump of the World- Wow! Very tasty tomato and early to boot. I need a few earlier varieties but have never been impressed with the taste. This one definitely has taste!
Grandfather Ashlock-Pure goodness. Pretty to look at, wonderful taste. I loved it.
Spears Tennessee Green- Outstanding green tomato.
Lescana- My kinda tomato. Big and tasty.
Graveau Romania from the village of Lisa- Excellent tomato. Gorgeous to look at. It's a winner. I definitely want on the list for seeds
Sweet Meat from WV- I have this written down, but no info. I'll have to figure out what it means later LoL

I had a great time seeing all the familiar faces and enjoyed all the new faces there, too. My sister and I laughed about Gary's hat all the way home . And Susan, I don't know what you're doing, but you have some monster tomatoes!

Thanks to Dwight for the Striped Romas, Gary for the onions, and Earl for the Garlic. Ray for the fabulous hot dip recipe, and all the brave folks who rated Craig's peppers. For those of you who took home a squash pepper, they are HOT! So you've been warned.
Old August 23, 2009   #26
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

oh Jerry even made ristras from the thin-walled smaller peppers!
Old August 30, 2009   #27
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Thanks for sharing your seed for a worthwhile cause.....

Thanks to those of you who shared your excess sliced tomatoes with me at the end of the Tomato Tasting – Earl, Jerry, Ray, Mark, Maria, Dave, Susan and Kelli.. This was almost three gallons of seed to process; it the most of any I have ever processed at one time. Most of these were medium to large varieties and will go to my Appalachian Heirloom Tomato Project and to Trudi at WinterSown if she would take them. No doubt, these seed are some of the Best Of The Best. They will be shared with elderly/poor in the mountains. Regardless the mix being unnamed varieties, they will feed many folks. What’s in a name when you are hungry? Others who have good varieties of mixed medium/large varieties who would care to share seed
for this project are welcome.
Gary
Old September 1, 2009   #28
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

hello All It was so good seeing everyone and meeting new people. Of course trying to decide on the best tasting tomato was a joy. But the one thing I relized is that I was able to try tomatoes I grown in the past againest ones I have yet to grow.I now feel I am able to look to the past for my favorites instead of just the ones out in the Yard.
Hope to hear from you all as the season winds down. Susan