Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old July 20, 2009   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default 8th Annual CHOPTAG Taste Fest.

It’s time to start a new thread for the 8th annual CHOPTAG Taste Fest.

It will be held on Saturday Aug 22nd starting at 1pm.

It will be held at our usual location, Paxton Ramsey Park in the Loveland, Ohio area. (Eastern side of Cincinnati)

http://www.miamitwp.org/recreation/parks/paxton/paxton.htm

Come prepared to have a good time, share tomato stories, eat good food and enjoy some of the world’s best tomatoes.

Remember, everyone is welcome, with or without tomatoes. If you don't have tomatoes just bring extra food.

As your plants start produce and you begin to know what you’ll be bringing post here.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Directions to the park:

If you are coming from the North, Down I-75 or I-71 you’ll want to take I275 East to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Using the CENTER lane turn LEFT off the exit. This will put you in the right hand lane on Wards Corner Rd. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

If your coming from the South up I-71/75 take I-275 North to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

For those coming from Indiana on I74 use I-275 through Kentucky continuing to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.
Old July 23, 2009   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Jerry,

I hope you have a great event again this year. And for you
folks that live even within a 2 hour drive of Cincinnati, you
won't find a better place or group of people to spend the
afternoon with. Oh, and remember, there will be lots of
tomatoes, and possibly Earl's BBQ!

How are your plants doing this year Jerry?

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old July 31, 2009   #3
Mr Stripey
Tomatovillian™

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for inviting me to the forum and the Taste Fest. I hope to make it up there but I'm starting a new job next week and I may have to work that weekend.

I enjoyed looking at the pictures from the past Taste Fests.

Jon
Old August 10, 2009   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hello. Hello. Earth to CHOPTAGer’s. Earth to CHOPTAGer’s. Is anybody out there?

I’m beginning to wonder if anyone is going to show up this year.

We’re 12 days away and no one has said they will be there. The best we have is a maybe from a new joiner down in Lexington.

Has your tomato lost its flavor on the bedpost over night?

Is it something I said?

Are the contests too intimidating? Is it because I won two categories last year?

Are you ashamed because Earl brings more tomatoes and better food than you each year?

Come on folks. Let’s post a few posts. Drum up some enthusiasm. After all it is TOMATO time!!
Old August 10, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'll be there! I guess I thought you just KNEW that

If I get a bit of luck going...I am hoping to have lots of ripe tomatoes and I'll have sweet corn so the big question is...do you want me to pre cook it or does someone want to grill it? Either way is fine with me, so if we have a super griller out there who wants to stand over the grill I'll just put it in a cooler of ice. Let me know.

I have 3 or 4 people from my area who are planning to come, too. With tomatoes.

FYI, I have a ginormous Burrackers Fav. starting to ripen that I know will win the biggest tomato contest so the rest of you might as well give up the ghost on that category.

Also have a darn ugly Costoluto Genovese sitting out there green as a gourd.
Old August 10, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Eyeball squiggling HOT peppers

I'll bring some for those that want to try them. I'll even bring some kleenex for ya
Old August 10, 2009   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a call to arms from the President! Me and Kathy and her dad Walter will be there. For me it's been a pitiful tomato year taste-wise. Must be the cool summer temps causing it. We may need a new category called "Worst Tasting." :-) I'm not sure what kind of food we'll bring, nothing major like though, palate cleanser type stuff I reckon. Looking forward to seeing all the troops. Hopefully we'll have a short AWOL list.
Old August 10, 2009   #8
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default The Tomato Tasting.........

Gary here to say that friend, Cathy, and I will be present on the 22nd. She is driving me again as we have the last several gatherings.

In addition John Logan of Frankfort, Ky will be there. John and I met on Tomatoville when he was searching for Yellow Cherry. I couldn't help myself so sent him other varieties as well. Then John appeared at the Thieneman's Heirloom Tomato plant sale and took home more tomatoes.

Friend, Maria(blueribbontomatoes.com) and her mother plan to go to Cincinnati and spend the night and be at the Tomato Tasting.

Roger Postley mentioned he might attend the Tasting. I will check with him in the next day or so.

My tomatoes are slow, slow slow. I don't know if I will have anything to share but hope to have a few. I'm creating some new dishes I hope all of you will enjoy! May even repeat something we have had before.

Larry talked about driving up but he has not mentioned that to me in the last week or so.

Soooo looking forward seeing my 'mater friends!!!
Gary
Old August 13, 2009   #9
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

I will be there with bells on...should have some maters too ...I will have a few guests as usual although not sure how many...the banner has been located and is in a safe place...can't wait to see everyone!

Ray
Old August 14, 2009   #10
yrb
Tomatovillian™

I will be there Jerry! I'm not sure about Tony. We have already enjoyed all of our first giants, so don't worry all of you who want to beat me this year! We have lots to bring though...see you then,
Amy
Old August 15, 2009   #11
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello Went out to the garden last night. I have lots of beautiful big ones. Just hope they show some color this weekend.No Chocolate Chrekee or Kentucky stamper will be ripe. I picked ripe ones and started saving seeds. But my husband and I will be there. See you next Saturday. I am bringing zuckini bread and pepperoni salad.
Susan
Old August 17, 2009   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I am happy to report that many tomatoes are ripening up and I will have several varieties to taste on Saturday. If you are worried about coming without tomatoes, don't be! I will have plenty to go around. The corn appears to be ready as well. Now if I can just keep the raccoons and crows out of the corn patch, we'll be in good shape!

I will also bring my hot peppers, and if anyone is interested, we can have a pepper tasting/heat rating, too. I've got Craig's experimental peppers, plus a few 'take the head off ya' varieties of my own.

My monster Burracker's got too ripe and I was forced to eat it on a BLT So the game is back on!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
Old August 17, 2009   #13
tomatoaddict

I can't make a firm committment to being there or not. I have lost quite a few plants to the blight so if I came it would be just to visit you all. No tomatoes
I won't know for sure if I can swing it or not until pretty much last minute but I am going to try.
Old August 17, 2009   #14
rldaye
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Will bring "Lonely Lost Lawn Chair" again this year. Don't know about tomatoes, they are starting to ripen, but the birds are getting lots of them. Will see you Sat. Ron
Old August 19, 2009   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

OK, the corn is looking iffy at this point. So I'm going to plan B which is I don't know yet, but it'll be good
The raccoons are nice and full though