Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old October 26, 2009   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Mojito Mint

Is the seed for Mint very, very tiny? I want to save seed from my Mojito mint and it looks almost microscopic.
Old October 27, 2009   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried to save mint seed, but I have saved from my local feral catnip and yes the seed IS small, tho not what I'd call micro. But since the flower head of regular mint is smaller than catnip, the seed could also be smaller.

I usually pick off the flower head and then shake it in a baggie to get just the seeds. If you wait too long tho most of the seed will have dropped out on it's own and be gone.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Is Mojito mint a species, or a cultivar/selection? If the latter, then seed will not get you the same plant. Most mints are propagated from cuttings because it's so easy, and because that way you get the variety you want.

Oh, and I cut back my mints before they go to seed, because if you have several varieties and they cross, you may eventually lose the cultivar/selection. (And also because I don't need even more mints coming up from seed!)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2009   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Mojitos are made with ordinary spearmint, aren't they?

Around here -- Virginia -- you couldn't get mint to keep from coming back if you tried, except maybe with a good dose of Roundup. So you may not need to save seeds. Probably someone at the local nursery could tell you if mint winters over (and over and over) in your zone.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2009   #5
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I believe "cuttings" potted up & kept growing indoors till springtime will work better for you than starting from seeds.
LarryD
Old November 1, 2009   #6
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbva View Post
Mojitos are made with ordinary spearmint, aren't they?

Around here -- Virginia -- you couldn't get mint to keep from coming back if you tried, except maybe with a good dose of Roundup. So you may not need to save seeds. Probably someone at the local nursery could tell you if mint winters over (and over and over) in your zone.

Christine
Over the hills, in WV, here, it takes about 10 lbs of salt, 25 gallons of kerosene, a couple of old tires and a bulldozer...

I think that after a nuclear war, the cockroaches would be keeping the harsh sun off their heads by lounging under mint plants.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Terry,

If Mojito mint is anything like the couple of mints I have, the seeds are very, very tiny. I've heard that real Mojito mint is as hard to get as real Cuban cigars.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #8
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I had never even heard of a Mojito until my customers at the farmer's market started buying my mint plants for making their own. You can use any mint, but the true mojito is made from a cuban variety. It was brought to Canada by a mojito enthusiats and eventually made it's way to the U S. I shipped in a couple of plants from Canada and I have grown it now for a couple of years and find that it is not quite as invasive at other mints. As far as i know, Mojito Mint is as hardy as the rest of them but I do keep a few stock plants in the greenhouse over winter for taking cuttings in the Spring
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #9
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Over the hills, in WV, here, it takes about 10 lbs of salt, 25 gallons of kerosene, a couple of old tires and a bulldozer...

I think that after a nuclear war, the cockroaches would be keeping the harsh sun off their heads by lounging under mint plants.
^

I did a little internet research and found this:
Before we start, lets get this out of the way first - the answer to this question isn't the internet favourite of "spearmint". Spearmint comes (originally) from Europe and the smell makes me want to hurl.
As I share that sentiment for the most part (carrots are good w/spearmint, but little else), now I'm intrigued. How does it taste? I might try a mojito if I could be assured of the real thing.
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #10
tomatoaddict

DuckCreek is correct. The Mojito drink is originally Cuban and named after a mint there. Since it is almost un-heard of here in the U.S., bartender's substitute spearmint. I got my true Mojito from Canada.
Old November 3, 2009   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Terry,

Do you have a patch of sugar cane that you've been keeping secret?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2009   #12
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you're better off not dealing with mint seeds. They produce inferior plants. Just keep taking cuttings.
Lemon balm and catnip, catmint and other mint relatives are good from seed, but real mints should be propagated from cuttings.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #13
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Territorial Seed sells the Mojito Mint (Mentha x villosa). Also if you google Mojito Mint you will get many places selling it both as a plant and seed.
Old April 21, 2013   #14
Vickipr
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing Mojito mint for 8 yrs now. I understand that you will not get true Mojito mint from seed that you must use cuttings or runners. And yes it does come from Cuba. There are a few nurseries and people you can purchase it from. I my self gave away a lot already this year.
It really makes a great drink. I also grow banana, chocolate, lime, lemon, cotton candy, fruitasia,
pineapple, orange, berry's and cream. I love them all for drinks and baking. They are all great and refreshing in tea too.

Vicki
Vickipr is offline   Reply With Quote