Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old January 25, 2010   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default Pick your Dates for 2010 Events

It’s time to set the dates for the CHOPTAG Plant Swap and Taste Fest. Last year we seemed to have quite a few no-shows due to time conflicts.
So, here is your chance to influence the dates.

I think the afternoon from 1 to 4 is a good time for the Plant Swap and 1 to 5 for the Taste Fest. I’ll take suggestions on the times as well as the dates but I really do think afternoon is best.

Possible dates for the Plant Swap:
Sat May 1, Sun May 2, Sat May 8, Sun May 9, Sat May 15, Sun May 16

Possible dates for the Taste Fest:
Sat Aug 14, Sun Aug 15, Sat Aug 21, Sun Aug 22

All the dates above are subject to Park availability so give me a first and second choice for each.

I plan to ask Mark to check into our selection by the first week in Feb so get me your choices soon.
Old January 25, 2010   #2
pete
Tomatovillian™

May 8 or 15 for plant swap,

aug 15 or 22 for tasting,

Pete
Old January 25, 2010   #3
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG DATES

May 8 and August 22 work for me.
Looking forward to seeing all my CHOPTAG Tomato growing friends!
Old February 1, 2010   #4
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to Tomatoville and joined so I could connect with the CHOPTAG folks so just tell me the dates and I'll plan to be there for both events. I live in Lebanon, OH, and I work about 5 miles from the park.

I'm looking forward to meeting other enthusiasts in the area and to growing some real tomatoes like those from my childhood (many years ago) in Tennessee. My father-in-law who is now 82 and has grown heirloom tomato plants most of his life wants to join me as well.

Tim Clark
Old February 1, 2010   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm in for whatever dates work best for everyone else
Looking forward to seeing you all again!
Old February 1, 2010   #6
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the madness Tim. You and your father-in-law are most welcome to join us. And anyone else for that matter.

I plan to set the dates sometime this week so check back and get set for a unique experience.

How did you hear about CHOPTAG?
Old February 2, 2010   #7
tomatoaddict

I'm good for most of them except the end of May.
If anyone is growing Ghost Chili's, I would love to have a couple of plants..woot woot!
Old February 3, 2010   #8
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jerry!

I saw a reference to CHOPTAG on a site from a lady in California (Laurel something or other) who sells heirloom tomato plants, and I did a little searching until I found the connection to Tomatoville and the CHOPTAG section. I may still order a few plants from her nursery because she had so many unusual varieties I'd like to try, but I can't afford too many plants at her prices after the shipping costs to get them here.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. How does the plant swap work? My father-in-law always raises way too many seedlings from the 2 or 3 varieties he's been growing for many, many years from seeds he saves from only the very biggest tomatoes, and I'm sure he'd love to pass some of those along to others. I don't think he even knows the variety name because he's raised them so long. I know one of them is a huge yellow tomato with red streaks in it that is on a very prolific plant. My wife doesn't like yellow tomatoes, but she likes this one from her dad.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Tim
Old February 3, 2010   #9
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

My main objective is to give away more plants than I take home.
A lot of folks will list the varieties they are starting and folks will request from those lists. In addition, everyone brings some of their extra plants in hopes of “swapping” for a variety they want to grow but don’t have.
Everyone also brings some food to share and of course plenty of Tomato Stories.
Old February 3, 2010   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Hello, CHOPTAGers,

Having the events on a Saturday works best for those who are busy on Sunday mornings. So Aug. 21st would work for the Taste Fest. Too, later in August or even early September would give those late season [90 day] type plants time to ripen, especially if we have a late Spring. With the type winter weather we're having I wouldn't bet on have an "average" spring this year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Plant Swap; and Sat. May 8th sounds good.

Earl
Old February 8, 2010   #11
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

I would like to come to events on Sunday, but we are ministers (and live in Connersville, IN) and so 1pm starting time would be hard for us to make. If it was 1:30 or 2, we probably could, depending on how fast the organist played and whether there was a meeting after church that day.

I would REALLY like to come to the plant swap this year. I will have tons (Lord willing, creek don't rise!) of plants to trade!

Kate
Old February 8, 2010   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Kate,
I got to the plant swap late last year and there were still plenty of tomato addicts there to take my extras. Not only that, but a few mater plants even snuck into my car and rode home with me
I will be posting a list later of what I'm growing and will be more than happy to plant extras if anyone wants me to.
Old February 8, 2010   #13
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

Honestly, I just want to meet everyone. I have been hanging out on forums for so long it will be nice to meet real tomato people.

I had conflicts last year with both the plant swap and the tasting (and *I* had awesome tomatoes last year!) and I was annoyed that I couldn't come. Plus we've only been here just over a year and it'd be nice to meet some people in the area.

Will there be trading of "tomato accessory" plants as well? I'm planting out 10 kinds of basil. I may have extra.
Old February 9, 2010   #14
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yes there's always the extra goodies there, too.
Last year, I came home with a couple of nice pots of basil and some mater seeds.
I hope you get to join us this year. If you love tomatoes, you'll fit right in.
Old February 16, 2010   #15
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Barbie Did you want some sweet meat west virgina seeds? They are good. I will not be growin them this year. So far ;]. I am just finihing my pick now. I have been more intersted in peppers this year. So far;]
Let me know how you are doing Susan aka tootaloo