Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old April 7, 2010   #46
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Tim, will do. Both EF [a pink beefsteak] and AGG [gold beefsteak] have won best tasting out of around 100 different types at previous CHOPTAG Tastefests.
Old April 8, 2010   #47
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Important – Please Read

It seems Miami Township is going broke like everyone else. They have started charging to reserve the shelter we use for our CHOPTAG events. Each reservation is $50.

I have paid (through Mark Richardson) the registration fee for both the 2010 events and our reservations are set.

So, if you show up at the Plant Swap in May I’ll be hitting you up for a couple of bucks. I’ll see how many people come and then set the amount. Based on previous attendance it should only be 3 or 4 dollars.

Seems like a small price to pay for all the Tomato Plants and food.
Old April 9, 2010   #48
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Will you take a check? Or require a credit card or cash? :-)
Old April 9, 2010   #49
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

No check or credit card from you Earl. Cash only with serial number verification.

Maybe from Kathy - I trust her.
Old April 12, 2010   #50
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello I am okay with a rental fee. See you soon. Susan
Old April 13, 2010   #51
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Mr.President, we knew what we were doing when we elected you. Trust but Verify. :-)
Old April 13, 2010   #52
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

ooo I'm so excited. We should be able to come and my babies are doing great! I will post my trade list this weekend.
Old April 14, 2010   #53
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Tony and Amy are still alive and growing 80+ varieties...nothing new this year...we'll bring some YRB's of course and whatever else we can fit in the car. I am looking for some of the Berkley Tie Dyes and Lime Green Salad and Box Car Willie. Missed you all so much for the tasting...won't let it happen again!!! See you soon!
Amy
Old April 14, 2010   #54
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Amy, I'll pot up a Lime Green Salad for you.
Put me down for one of your YRBs.
Old April 14, 2010   #55
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I've got BCW and BTD pink if you're interested
Old April 19, 2010   #56
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Hi all, I post on another gardening forum that forbids me from even mentioning other forums, and someone from the Louisville area asked about mail ordering plants, and I thought about the CHOPTAG spring plant swap as a way for people in the area to get seedlings, but what if they don't already grow any plants? Is there a way to have sales or would that mean permits and such? Also, what about seed sales?

As I said, I couldn't link to this site for the other person, and the CHOPTAG website doesn't have any info past 2006, so I'm just fishing for info here to pass on.

Thanks,
TZ
Old April 19, 2010   #57
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Heirloom Tomato Plants in Louisville

TZ, This is my tenth year as a volunteer at Thieneman's Nursery in Louisville, Kentucky. I help select the seed for pepper and heirloom tomatoes and when possible assist in their germination. This year as last year we will be offering about 150 varieties of heirloom and a few F1 tomato varieties. There will be about fifty varieties of sweet and hot peppers. These will be available for sale on FRIDAY 23rd and 24th beginning at 9:00 am.
Please pass this information along to your contact. Tell them I will be present both days to help folks and answer any questions they might have. I am attaching the link to Thieneman's web sit which will have varieties listed and directions to the nursery.
Thanks for sharing your concerns here.
Gary Millwood

Thieneman's Nursery
http://www.thienemans.com/
Old April 19, 2010   #58
Earl
Tomatovillian™

TZ. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, so I'm Not speaking on behalf of the group. Some of the purposes of CHOPTAG is to promote the preservation of, growing of and enjoyment of heirloom tomatoes. If someone is serious about growing heirloom tomatoes and don't grow their own plants because they don't have seeds or don't know how to do so, and would like to learn how to do so; then I'll share some plants with them/and seeds, as most any other CHOPTAGer would do.

If this person would like to join us at the plant swap/share meet then you can or have them send me a PM.

But if they only want a few heirlooms to grow then Gary's suggestion is the way to go.

Earl
Old April 19, 2010   #59
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

OK, here is my list that I'll have "traders" from (don't ask what happened to the T-Z peppers, they were with the peppers that my husband murdered). I have about 12 other varieties starting but they may be too tiny for this season, we'll see...

Amish Paste
Big Rainbow
Black Plum
Black Prince
Brandywine
Golden Jubilee
Green Pineapple
Grimes Moundsville
Jersey Devil
Lil Pink
Marglobe
Moon Yellow
Mortgage Buster
Orange Banana
Ox Heart
Polish Heart
Ponderosa Red
Principe Borghese
Purple Passion
Riesentraube
San Marenio (name given as traded, diff from San Marz)
San Marzano
Sausage (Red)
Sub-Arctic Plenty

Let me know if you are very excited about anything you see above and I will be sure to set it aside for you. I have to count & make sure that I have enough...right now it's too much to juggle to try to count. I'm hoping this weekend.

I need some cherries, and I'm especially fond of bicolors and blacks and German Johnson Pink (which I have started late and hasn't come up yet).

Kate
Old April 20, 2010   #60
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kate,

I'm new to CHOPTAG this year and, althought I don't have any plants to trade this year, I will bring food to the event.

If you have a plant left over after you've traded with all the folks there who want your seedlings, I'd love to have one plant each of Black Plum, Big Rainbow, and Riesentraube. I've grown the first two in the past and been very impressed, and I've been curious about the last one for some time now and would like to try it out.

Thanks!
Tim