Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old May 31, 2010   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG -2010 - Taste Fest

We have a date set for the 2010 CHOPTAG Taste Fest. It will be Sunday August 22nd from 1 to 5pm.

As usual we’ll use Paxton Ramsey Park. http://www.miamitwp.org/index.php?op...d=87&Itemid=91

Bring the fruits of your labor and share with others. Of course food is always welcome.

I have resolved to taste more tomatoes and less of everything else this year but we'll see how well that works out.

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.

We’ll have the usual contests – Biggest (circumference), Heaviest, Prettiest, Ugliest, and most important – Taste.

There is only one rule. Bring tomatoes or bring food. You can of course bring both.

Hope to see everyone there.

Directions to the park:

If you are coming from the North, Down I-75 or I-71 you’ll want to take I275 East to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Using the CENTER lane turn LEFT off the exit. This will put you in the right hand lane on Wards Corner Rd. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

If your coming from the South up I-71/75 take I-275 North to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

For those coming from Indiana on I74 use I-275 through Kentucky continuing to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.
Old June 3, 2010   #2
tahmato
Tomatovillian™

I sure hope i remember to come. I missed the last few choptags. So sad .
its on my calendar.
I planted 100 tomato plants and today only 50 are there . With the rain my deer proofing is not working out. Just not in my budget to cage so many plants.
so if all else fails. I will go to the taste fest this august.
sue
Old August 5, 2010   #3
richardsom
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally getting some of the larger maters

Very excited....everything was late this year....late at starting seeds, late at transplant, later harvest. Just this week I've started picking some larger tomatoes. My sister visiting from Texas enjoyed a mixed platter of maters with dinner. Said the Earl's Faux was the best tomato she has ever eaten.

Mark
Old August 15, 2010   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

We're only a week away. Is anyone else coming?

I know it's been a hot year and that might have affected production but we can still have a good time/tasting with what we do have.

Let's hear from you.
Old August 15, 2010   #5
richardsom
Tomatovillian™

Jerry-
I plan on being there. It has been a hot one and perhaps it will end our season a bit short....but this past week my plants were took off. Did a huge batch of sauce yesterday simply because I knew I couldn't eat 'em all fresh. Hoping next batch of maters is ready for the weekend. Will be bringing my brother from out of town.

Mark
Old August 15, 2010   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning to be there. Not sure what I'll have to share, but should have several varieties. Looking forward to seeing everyone
Old August 16, 2010   #7
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Tony and I will be there! I am trying to talk some of my market friends into coming as they all grow heirlooms also. They look at me funny when I talk about this group! Do you think they think we're weird or something!!! They know Tony and I are tomato freaks but did not realize there was an organized group of us! See you soon!
Amy P
Old August 16, 2010   #8
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

My DH and I will be there.
I had an oopsie in the planting this year (used compost that had seed in it!) and didnt end up with exactly what I thought I had, but no total spitters (the side yard currants will be stripped out of future competition tho, boring)

If it stays cooler I can bring some cornbread! this heat has been tough this year.
Old August 16, 2010   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Me and Kathy will be there but will only have a couple types to bring, if more ripen by weekend. Bad year for a lot of reasons. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Earl
Old August 16, 2010   #10
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Will miss seeing all of You!

Dear fellow CHOPTAG Gardeners, I was hoping I would be able to make it to the Tomato Tasting but will be unable to this year. I always look forward to seeing each of you and hearing about family and talking "tomatoes" with such good folks. Friend Larry was planning on driving me but plans seemed to be coming together this past week to get this procedure behind me. I will keep you posted via our Tomatoville Thread.

I was disappointed with my tomatoes this season. The heat resulted in blossom drop on many of my plants so production was down. In addition I had early blight which didn't help matters. The extreme heat has been difficult for me with my congestive heart failure; the heat just sucks the life out of me. I am preparing for a Bilateral Hernias Procedure. I was hurting with terrible pain in the stomach when I coughed; took care of the cough and Doctor ordered a Cat Scan and discovered the hernias. I saw my surgeon and he suggested I see my Cardiologist because I am on War Farin, a blood thinner. I saw him last Monday and they scheduled a Stress Test and a Heart Echo Gram for this Wednesday. Then I have to be off of my blood thinner for four/five days before surgery can take place. It has been difficult getting in to see the doctors which has caused the delay. I was concerned about the bleeding and my cardiologist indicated a 3% to 5% risk factor and assured me he would do everything to make it as safe as possible for me.

I look forward to seeing lots of pictures and any special new varieties you all have grown this season. The passion of growing tomatoes can only be understood by those in the brother/sister-hood like CHOPTAG!
Have a great Fall and Winter! Looking forward to a Spring Plant Exchange and sharing time with each of you!
Gary
Old August 17, 2010   #11
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I miss you being there already!

We will charge up the camera battery and bring you there in pictures.
Good thoughts for you and your surgeons, please keep us updated (or one of your sons if they can?) as you have a chance. Jerry and I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

This summer didnt go as smoothly as Id have hoped, but we have scads of black cherry, and some Depps Pink Firefly from Blue Ribbon Tomatoes! and one of my Ernesto is finally going nuts.
Old August 17, 2010   #12
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

I will be there as well...banner in hand..tomatoes? not sure..had my usual early rush and I am now in a lull..no matter when I start or transplant I am alwas in between at the taste fest...I am having a pretty good year plant health/harvest wise..can't wait to see everyone!

Ray
Old August 18, 2010   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I went out and picked the CHOPTAG maters today in case it comes a rain. It's gonna be slim pickins from me compared to last year. A week earlier and I'd have had a nice selection to choose from. It seems to work out that way every year durnit! I do have some nice varieties of hot peppers to bring for you pepper heads. I'm bringing a cheese ball and the infamous break and bake cookies

Gary, sorry to hear you won't be attending. My sister still laughs about the guy with the ball cap with the little tomatoes hanging off of it. Hope you feel better soon friend.
Old August 20, 2010   #14
pete
Tomatovillian™

Gary, good luck with your surgery!!!

I hope I can make it, kids have soccer games. My toms were a jammin last week, now sputtering out.

Hope to see y'all sunday,

Pete
Old August 24, 2010   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to let you all know how much I missed seeing your faces Sunday I had a crazy morning and everything that could go wrong did.. and by the time I got a chance to get my stuff packed and head down there, it was already 2:30.
I hope the turnout was great and the tomatoes were tasty. I'll catch you all next time.