Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 26, 2010   #16
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

OK -- I've been waiting patiently for a report on this event. Anybody??? Would really love to hear about the great tomatoes you sampled.

Sherry
Old August 27, 2010   #17
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

I has planned to attend too, but I had all kinds of things that went haywire and just couldn't make it. I'd love to hear how the tasting went and which varieties got top honors.

I had two HUGE Sudith Brandywines that were just perfectly ripe yesterday, and my wife (whose love for real tomato flavor drives my passion to grow these amazing plants) enjoyed most of one of them with dinner last night and took the other today to her 82-year-old father who has been in poor health and not able to grow real tomatoes this year. She took lots of Mexico Midgets to her Dad too for size contrast and because they just taste really great -- and the one plant we have has produced boatloads of the tiny things this year.

I took a sack of Striped Caverns, Ben's Ivory Pear, and Sungolds to my coworkers who thought they'd died and gone to the new heaven of heirloom tomatoes!

Thanks so much to all who gave me plants in the spring, and I can't wait to hear how the tasting went. I sure hope I can make it next year!

Tim
Old August 27, 2010   #18
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

We got there late- we had a few Speckled Roman (pretty, boring raw) , some Black Cherry (YUM!) , a few of our friends Aurel Coman from Romania (mostly acid)

I really enjoyed Amish Paste (sweet and nice!), and a few my DH took pics of so I could remember! fewer tomatoes and people this year, sorry to those who couldnt make it, there were still some tasty gems to enjoy!

I ate my leftovers Monday on crackers with some reduced fat herb cheese spread topped with basil leaves!
Old September 6, 2010   #19
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

I just have not been on the computer. My surgery lasted about an hour on Thursday. I was in the operating room recovery for an hour and then back in the other room for an hour. They would let me go home if I could urinate. I couldn't so they put a catheter in and had me spend the night. Doctor came back in to see me the next morning and said I could go home. Leave the catheter in until I see him on Tuesday of this next week and he will remove it. I went back on my blood thinner on Friday!!
I am sore and walk in a bent position to avoid pain. I have difficult getting up from lying flat on my back so am sleeping in my recliner. I am able to get out of it with out help. I am not eating much at a time but am getting enough I am sure.

Folks who I have talked with who had similar surgery indicate it just takes time for the pain to go away.

Thanks for all the concerns and good wishes!

Gary
Old September 6, 2010   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Gary,

Glad to hear that you're on the mend....albeit slowly. I can relate to the walking doubled over to avoid pain or trying to get up from a flat sleeping position. Did that for about 3 weeks or more in May after my surgery. As for the getting up from a flat sleeping position - all I can say is to flip to your side and work your way up from horizontal to vertical by swinging your legs over the side of the bed and pushing up with your arm(s). Easier said than done, I know. You have my full commiserations.

But I have a feeling you're not going to be down long. Too much to do in the garden that it will beckon you outside.

Take care and best regards to your DW/caregiver.

Zana
Old September 8, 2010   #21
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Thank You

Zana, Thank you for the encouraging comments. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he removed the bandages from my surgery. I am feeling stronger a bit each day. I tried sleeping in my bed last night but then had to get up and sleep in my
recliner. I feel very rested today.
I cut back on the number of plants I grew this year but seem to have expectations of growing more than I am capable. Louisville was the hottest place in the country for July and August; With my heart problems it just sucked all of the energy from me. We are enjoying some cooler weather now.
It is good to know you have recovered from your surgery and doing well! All good wishes for better health in the months to come!
Gary