Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old February 14, 2011   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default Pick your 2011 CHOPTAG Dates

It’s time to start thinking about the dates for the Spring Plant Swap and the Taste Fest.

I’m proposing either the 7th or 8th of May for the Plant Swap and the 27th or 28th for the Taste Fest. Both would start around 12 noon and go until whenever.

Let me know your thoughts.

I’ll decide and reserve the park by the end of the month unless someone else wants to take charge this year.
Old February 14, 2011   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

YES!

(from someone who may actually show up at the swap because she has planned a good assortment and has raised from seed for 2 years!)
Old February 15, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

WOO HOO! I've been waiting for the next event ever since I learned about
CHOPTAG!
Old February 15, 2011   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Ok - glad to see some excited people. Do either of you have a preference on dates?
Old February 15, 2011   #5
Wargamer777
Tomatovillian™

I have a mixed bag of seeds that I got from wintersown from CHOPTAG 2009. I'm growing out a few this year. I wonder what I'll get....
Old February 16, 2011   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Jerry! Either date will work for me. I missed last year's tasting and I've been bummed about it every since.
Old February 20, 2011   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jerry. Either day works for me. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Not sure what seedlings I'll have to post on the forum to choose from since I may be cutting back on how much gardening I do because of medical issues. I'll commit to bringing some fresh baked bread. Will add more to the menu later.

Earl
Old February 20, 2011   #8
anthemion
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jerry,

I just found you guys! I would love to join you for the swap but I'm busy that weekend with the Civic Garden Center Plant Sale. I, however, want to make the TomatoFest. When is that??

Kathy
Old February 20, 2011   #9
lurley
Tomatovillian™

either date is fine with me
Old February 24, 2011   #10
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

If it's on a Sunday I can't be there until like 3...we're both pastors...

Of course if it's on a Saturday we might not be able to come either, 'cause someone might wanna get hitched or go in the hospital... :/

I'll certainly be there in spirit...

Kate
Old February 24, 2011   #11
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

"I’m proposing either the 7th or 8th of May for the Plant Swap and the 27th or 28th for the Taste Fest. Both would start around 12 noon and go until whenever."

Greetings to all of my friends at CHOPTAG!
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to seeing all of you. It was one of my greatest disappointments from last year while recovering from surgery. Either dates for me on the Plant Exchange and the Tomato Tasting.

I am making up my list now so don't know just what I will have to share at the Plant Exchange. Have some new varieties and hope they do well so I can share a few!

Have a great Spring !
Gary

Old February 26, 2011   #12
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Well, I thought it was about time to check and see what was going on, and apparently I am a week late already this year!

I hope everyone had a great harvest last year and has plans underway for exceeding it this year. I sure hope we have better weather than last year!

I would prefer the Saturday dates, but I can make Sunday work too if that's what the majority would like.

I saved seed from two varieties sold as heirlooms from the early 1900's that I found at a garden center in Waynesville last year that I couldn't find any source that listed seed from either variety. I don't know a lot of the seed sources though, but has anyone ever heard of "Ben's Ivory Pear" (creamy white pear shaped and easily well over 1000 from just one plant) or "Flying Jenny" (orange cherry with truss-like clusters of tomatoes on a wispy plant)? Both of them did so well for me last year in spite of the bad weather conditions.

Can't wait to watch and learn from the posts here and try my hand at raising plants from seed this year. Wish me luck!

Tim
Old February 27, 2011   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I will post a list a little closer to planting time as to what varieties I'll be starting. Can't wait to see everyone again!
Old March 1, 2011   #14
lurley
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first time attending. Can anyone tell me what size the transplants should be that I bring so I know when to start them? 6pk, 4pk, 3in, 4.5 in are the size cells and pots I have, and what would be a good quantity to bring? And how many people would be a safe number to plan on for food, meaning how many servings should l bring of what I make?
Thanks!
Lurley