Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old June 29, 2011   #16
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Lurley I have a similar situation brewing.but not due to rain.We have a forced move and have to be out by the 22nd of July. Some stuff was already in the garden and growing.One variety of mater blooming.So I gotta transplant what is in the soon to be former garden and have the plants planted in another location.Add to that I have plants that did not get planted still in peat pots.Lets pray we have some harvesting we can enjoy.I was gonna save seed too.

Kevin.
Old June 29, 2011   #17
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Kevin, I know you are going through a hard time right now, and having to move your garden is an added difficulty I wouldn't wish on anyone. If I do get a seed crop this year you are welcome to any of them. I will send you a list of any I get and you can pick any and all you like ( assuming I have some). At least that will give you something to look forward to for next year for a new season at your new place.
Old June 29, 2011   #18
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
Kevin, I know you are going through a hard time right now, and having to move your garden is an added difficulty I wouldn't wish on anyone. If I do get a seed crop this year you are welcome to any of them. I will send you a list of any I get and you can pick any and all you like ( assuming I have some). At least that will give you something to look forward to for next year for a new season at your new place.

Thank you for kind offer.will look forward to it.Good luck.

Kevin
Old July 2, 2011   #19
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Only 150 left to go, but it is raining today. I already sprayed those that I have planted with fungicide, so will spray again after the rain. I don't mind the rain today because I was planning on watering those already planted today if it didn't rain, although I would've probably hit it with a little fertilizer too, I guess that can wait a little while. All those still in pots waiting have already had infected foliage removed and been sprayed for fungus also so hopefully the rain can't cause too much more spreading of disease. I ordered some EXCEL to try that should be here early next week, if that doesn't work I've got some Daconil concentrate coming also.
Old July 2, 2011   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sheesh, Lurley...can't believe you're still planting and it's still raining where you are! Really hope you're able to wrap it up soon and that the fungicides hold things at bay so you can get a decent return for all your worry and hard work.
Old July 2, 2011   #21
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I moved back here to Chillicothe Ohio last July 2010 and never got my 150 plants in pots into the ground - had some trial CHERRY tomatoes in hanging baskets and that's all I brougt w me - left about the same in the ground in Calif - turned over my seedling tom and peppers to a friend to sell to some of my nursery customers

this year I started late on my seedlings (running business) so little time and only started 500-750 - couldn't find promix bx or promix pg so had to use jiffy NK and some other brand of seedling starter mix - can't buy anything in bulk - had some damping off(1st time in 50+ yrs of growing) and worst germination EVER - had to search out and find some groers of heirlomms to get plants that I could plant - then a month of rain and muddy clay - had some of my own 10,15, and 20 gal hort pots and begged and borrowed other so I have about 75 plants is all - my babies just ready to pot up so will only be planting he 55 day stuff - and a few others to see how they grow here - may not see fruit on them unless late frost or low enough for frost blankets - still trying o find people with plants to get rid of - have had to go deep with a few leggy ones already - found metro mix 360 so should have better luck potting up - got my 1/2 gal of omri approved endo and ecto microbes 20 plus var of each and watered in to new plants - thet have been in the ground 2 wks(a couple 4) - cut off all of the first two sets of flowers and stripped up to last 2 sets of braches before planting - better roots system and now getting 3rd set of flowers and some started to set - yeh will have some to eat - some 2" across now
Old July 2, 2011   #22
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you are making good progess Lurley. If you are just 150 plants short of 1,000, that is pretty good. With that many plants, you should be able to get a fairly decent crop of tomatoes this year.
Old July 5, 2011   #23
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Yay! Got the last three dozen plants into the ground this morning! DH was very happy to be able to go back to work today after his long weekend. I sprayed with some MG yesterday, followed by a second round of fungicide due to the rain two days ago, and made visual inspection of the troops. It looks like zebra cherry and big zebra didn't make it.(I think they drowned in all the rain and couldn't recover or EB finished them off) Is anyone else growing these this year that can bring them to the taste fest for me to try? Now we will start the staking and the weaving...and catch up on the weeds that have been trying to consume the corn and beans while I have been busy planting tomatoes.
Old July 5, 2011   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations, Lurley! I'm happy to hear that monumental task is completed.
Old July 5, 2011   #25
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wow that sounded like a lot of work - I can't imagine. Congratulations!
Old July 5, 2011   #26
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Glad you finally got everything planted. Hope things fare well despite the late start.
Old July 25, 2011   #27
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I didn't pinch the blossoms off but. most fell off after planting from eb anyway. I have lost about 25 plants, but most are now growing well and flowering but are only about 3 feet high (although some were buried as much as 18 in deep) Many are late large beefsteak types so I keep working, hoping first frost will be late and I will have a harvest this year... Come on tomatoes!

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Old July 26, 2011   #28
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I had someone ask me for plants on July 1st, and I did still happen to have a few, and, luckily, most with shorter DTMs!

Couldn't bear to just throw 'em away..... okay, maybe, even now, I still have a couple left, you know, just in case.....
Old July 26, 2011   #29
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Three feet isn't too bad given that you just finished planting a couple weeks ago. If it stays as hot as it has been, I'm thinking you might have a few tomatoes late Aug./early Sept.
Old July 27, 2011   #30
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I was out trying to prune a lot of them today, with the thought that they would then put more energy toward fruit production instead of all the sucker growth. Noticed some more blight creeping here and there and will spray again tomorrow. I also purchased some MG for tomatoes, thought that might spur some flower and fruit development, so MG first, then fungicide. I originally planned to leave them unpruned and weave them, I have two rows like that, but the rest will be pruned before I weave them. We'll see how the two compare in the end. On a positive note, the peppers and eggplants are doing well, they went in earlier, and DH dug out a few rows of corn from the weeds so far, so I might have some sweet corn too, yay.