Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old July 1, 2012   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG 2012 Taste Fest

Boy did I strike gold. Susan (aka Barbee) has graciously agreed to host this year’s CHOPTAG Taste Fest.

It will be held on Sunday August 19th from 11:30 to 3 pm.

Susan has a farm out in Mount Orab, Ohio. That’s about 40 miles east of downtown Cincinnati. She grows plenty of tomatoes and pigs and gigantic pumpkins and assuming they haven’t eaten him, Mr. Turkey.

If you need some ideas for a greenhouse/shed she has a great one. Amish built and real nice.

We had our Spring Plant Swap at Susan’s and she and her DH Brad were great hosts.

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.

There is only one rule. Bring tomatoes or bring food.

Susan lives at 17127 Minnick Rd. Mount Orab 45154. If you Google map it you’ll see it is just off Rt 68 about half way between Rts 50 and 32.
Old July 10, 2012   #2
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Woo Hoo!!! THANK YOU BARBEE! (Susan)! You have a great place
Old July 10, 2012   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hope to see you all here
We had a nice turnout for the plant swap and I'm optimistic we will have a good crowd for the tasting, too.

I want to mention a couple of things that I forgot to do for the plant swap. First is weather related. We will be hosting the tasting in our large shop.. so rain or shine, we should be real comfy. It was pretty hot for the plant swap but with all the doors open and the fans moving the air around, it was very pleasant. So don't let the weather stop you from coming. Second is kid related. Our kids are grown up and have left the nest so we don't have anything for the kids to play with. There is plenty of room to play ball or ride bikes but we don't have either, so don't be afraid to let them bring something fun with them.
Hopefully, I will have some nice giant pumpkins and watermelons for you to see during your visit and Tom the turkey is always ready to show off for company.
I had my first BLT of the season last night along with a couple of ears of sweet corn. Tomato eating season has officially started
Old August 2, 2012   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

OK it's getting time to discuss the tasting
I have had some damage to my plants the last couple of weeks but I should have plenty of varieties for tasting. Boy that Fish Lake Oxheart is one fine tomato. Oh and Wessel's Purple Pride is another good one this year. Got that nice smokey taste that you need to have perfect conditions to bring out the flavor.

I think I'll bring the meat and drinks for the tasting. That way you can bring side dishes which will travel better. If I get real rambunctious, I'll throw together a kitchen sink cheese ball.

Let's get some good discussion going about the tasting. It will be here before we know it!
Old August 2, 2012   #5
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Things are doing mostly well in my garden, got a late start this year, so I've only had ripe cherry tomatoes until this week. Got my first Stupice yesterday and there's about 7 more on the plant that are blushing. Did lose two plants this week, had to take them down due to disease, but the rest all have green tomatoes on them so I'm hopeful that things will be ripening soon. I'll probably whip up a batch of green salsa again, people seemed to like that last year and my peppers are doing great.
Old August 2, 2012   #6
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

WOW only 17 days. Time sure flies.

My tomato crop hasn’t been that great this year but I should have a few to bring. I’ve had my best cantaloupe crop ever so I’ll be sure to bring some.

In addition to the above I’ll make some Italian Pasta Salad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1758.jpg (357.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1763.jpg (348.8 KB, 42 views)
Old August 3, 2012   #7
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Unlike last year, I should have plenty of tomatoes for the tasting this year. I'll bring a dessert ( or two
Old August 9, 2012   #8
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!!!
Old August 10, 2012   #9
lurley
Tomatovillian™

This is chocolate stripes I got from you
Old August 10, 2012   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad to see you have a bunch of tomatoes. My patch is on its last breath here and I have been worried about having enough varieties to get a good tasting going. Hooray!
That one looks really good. Looking so forward to trying everything!
Old August 16, 2012   #11
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Well it’s been a horrible year – drought, heat, disease and lack of care. But I went out this morning and picked what I do have. I wanted to get them before we get the predicted rain tonight (that’s been a joke this year) so they wouldn’t split even though they get watered regularly.

I’ll have a pretty good selection of varieties but only one or two tomatoes of each.

Deborah and I are looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.
Old August 16, 2012   #12
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I hear you there, I've been battling some disease issues myself, got plenty from Stupice and my cherries, but the rest I'll probably only have one or two tomatoes of each to share. Still much better than last year though for me at least.
Old August 16, 2012   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Disease all over the place here. In fact, I'll most likely tear my garden out after the tasting.
I think 1 or 2 of each variety is plenty enough. Besides, the early bird gets the worm, errr tomatoes, right?
Old August 18, 2012   #14
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Are you insinuating my tomatoes have worms?
I’ll have you know I remove all traces of worms, insects and the like before I serve them.
Old August 18, 2012   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Boy I have been a busy bee the past 2 weeks!
Lets hope we have a good turnout or you're going to be taking lots of food home