Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 19, 2012   #16
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone today at the tasting. I may be a little late and have to leave a little early, but I'm finally getting to come to a tasting!

I'm bringing some bean salsa and chips -- and a few different varieties of tomatoes for tasting, of course, including my new favorite of this year's new ones to me, Dagma's Perfection. It's the bomb!
Old August 19, 2012   #17
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Hooray! See you later!
I'm officially going offline now to do some last minute stuff. Everyone have a safe trip and I'll see you soon
Old August 19, 2012   #18
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Was good to see everyone today, tasted lots of wonderful tomatoes. Here's the photos I took of all the varieties we had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1951.JPG (126.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1952.JPG (239.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1954.JPG (218.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1955.JPG (237.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1956.JPG (208.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1960.JPG (165.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1953.JPG (156.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1957.JPG (138.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1958.JPG (101.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1959.JPG (123.3 KB, 53 views)
Old August 19, 2012   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes everywhere today! Thanks for the photos Heather and great to see you again! Now I never thought I'd say this EVER but I may have had enough tomatoes for the day LoL
Old August 19, 2012   #20
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for hosting Barbee! It was a great way to spend the day
Old August 20, 2012   #21
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I got the impression everyone enjoyed themselves yesterday. I know I did.

First I want to thank Susan and Brad for hosting this year’s event. Everything was ideal.

There was a lot of talk about the tough season everyone was having but there didn’t seem to be any lack of tomatoes. I tasted some old favorites and plenty of new ones. Plus there was the usual bounty of food.

Lurley won the tastiest tomato vote with Georgia Green and while we didn’t vote I declare her Banana Cream Cookie thing the best desert.

Thanks to everyone who came.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1776.jpg (319.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1781.jpg (365.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1782.jpg (434.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1783.jpg (449.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1786.jpg (342.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1788.jpg (392.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1790.jpg (206.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1804.jpg (478.1 KB, 70 views)
Old August 20, 2012   #22
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I'm so glad everyone had a great time. I really miss you folks. I am having the worst year ever for growing tomatoes. I have picked 4 or 5 so far. That's it! Usually it's 4-5 bushels by now! Too hot too soon and my tomato patch going on 15 years of growing in the same spot needs some major help aka chicken poo etc.

More pics please!

Duane
Old August 20, 2012   #23
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Had a great tasting time Sunday

Thank you Susan and Brad for hosting a wonderful new experience for me. I was there from Dayton with my friend and fellow gardener Susan.

I've never tasted so many tomatoes in my life. Since I've never been before, I didn't know what to expect and your event was beyond my expectations.

The favorite tomato for me was the Gold Medal, even though it didn't win overall. Last night after I go back home, I started soaking all the seeds Susan and I collected and am already invisioning them growning away next year.

Can't wait to show the photos Susan took to our 'clinic study" garden group and tell them what they all missed.

Hope to see you in the Spring with some great seedling to swap.

Vicki
Old August 20, 2012   #24
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Duane,
You're just going to have to come down next year and do the tasting with us. If you don't have any tomatoes, we will send you home with plenty! Seriously, come down next year and enjoy with us

Vicki, I liked that Gold Medal too! That was really a nice surprise when I popped it in my mouth. Not normally a yellow tomato fan but that one was nice! I'm so glad you and Susan made the trip down and I hope to see you next spring at the plant swap!

Jerry, poor Tom in jail for the day and molting to boot. He is one sorry looking turkey. And yes that nanner pudding that Lurley made rocked! We are still talking about that delicious thing today LoL
Old August 21, 2012   #25
Crispy Corners Guy
Tomatovillian™

Yes, many thanks to Barbee and Brad for hosting and to everyone for the opportunity to taste so many different varieties. Georgia Green was the best tasting green I've ever tried.

I do have to agree with you, Jerry, that Lurley's banana pudding was outstanding! Got to try that recipe for myself soon.

I just finished putting up another 13 quarts of tomatoes tonight. The chickens will sure have a treat tomorrow with all the cores, skins, and occasional bad spots, and they'll help next year's tomato crop by giving me plenty of poop to put on the garden when I clean out the barn this fall too!

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you all in the spring!
Tim
Old August 21, 2012   #26
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

The pictures are incredible, there sure was plenty to sample, even if it was a bad year, gosh I would hate to see how many tomatoes there would have been had it been a good year....LOL Looks also to have been a great sheltered placed to be for the tasting, this almost, I say almost made me want to be back in northern Ohio so I could have come.... I miss my friend in OH but I sure don't miss the winters.

Thanks so much for sharing some of the pictures from you wonderful mater tasting. I rate this an A+ event.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old August 21, 2012   #27
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Lurley,

Would you mind posting your banana desert recipe here? I like anything "banana" and would like to give it a try as well.
Old August 21, 2012   #28
salix
Tomatovillian™

What Mark0820 said...
Old August 21, 2012   #29
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I used this recipe, from Ms Paula Deen
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html
Old August 21, 2012   #30
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Susan for hosting. I had a great time! Never thought I would ever get to the point of having to spit out mouthfuls of tomatoes during a tasting! I'm sure the 2 helpings of nanner puddn had nothing to do with that!..I think we had more varieties than ever to taste! We have the best tomato family!