Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 22, 2012   #31
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Georgia Green tomato question

I'm looking for information on the yummy green tomato listed as 'Georgia Green' .

Any one know where I can look. It does't come up when I goole it.

Thanks
Old August 22, 2012   #32
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I received seed of this variety from "winterfly", Millard Murdock, and believe it is of his own creation. I only have one plant, and have promised to return seeds to him this fall from what I have to help increase his supply. I will grow more next year and maybe can offer some then but for now, I don't know anyone else that has any quantity of seeds. My fellow CHOPTAGers were scooping out a few for themselves to grow next year at the tasting but no one got more than a couple as they don't have a lot of seeds.
Old August 22, 2012   #33
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Georgia Green

Thanks for such a fast reply. So now I know why no one on the entire WWW has infor! I guess I'll gaurd the few seeds I got at the taste event well.

thanks again.
Old August 23, 2012   #34
winterfly
Tomatovillian™

Georgia Green is an F6 from a natural cross of Lillian's Yellow and an unknown variety. For me, The first few tomatoes low on the plant are beefsteaks, but later on they are oblong paste tomatoes. The F2 of this cross was a sweet brown tomato that I named "Sweet Georgia Brown". The F3 lost it's sweetness, so I dropped the "Sweet" and called it "Georgia Brown". The F4 generation yielded a green fruit which I named "Georgia Green". I still have the "Georgia Brown" variety, although, to me, its not as tasty. I grew one plant this year that only yielded two tomatoes, but I didn't save seeds from either. I guess I was waiting on more tomatoes to save seeds, but that didn't happen. The plant was stunted because I planted kale nearby, which I later learned would stunt the growth of tomatoes. Lurley, I hope you have enough seeds that allows you to share with your friends. I only need 20 or so to grow next year's crops and probably 300 seeds to allow me to list with Seed Savers, but I don't have to do that. I should be able to manage my seed saving better than I do.
Old September 9, 2012   #35
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post

Unlike last year, I should have plenty of tomatoes for the tasting this year. I'll bring a dessert ( or two
Where did you get the containers you have the tomatoes in?
Old September 9, 2012   #36
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I would also like you to know your source for the containers that you have your tomatoes in?

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 15, 2012   #37
lurley
Tomatovillian™

The container store, pricey but I love them, think they were about $18 each, not on sale.