Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 27, 2012   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Failure to save my tomato seeds correctly

Well, I saved about 10 kinds of tomato seeds at this years Tomato Tasting Fest.

I read a few posts on how to know when they are ready to dry.

I listened to several folks at the tasting event. I've never soaked and waited for the stinky skin to form before rinsing them and setting them aside to dry.

I failed. I left them in their water cups for a week because no moldy skum ever formed. I washed them and most often, more than 80% were already sprouted. : (

First, are the ones with just tiny teensy weensy almost sprots any good? I am quite sure the ones with real sprots will need to be dumped.

Next big question. Does anyone have a few tomatoes I can come get so I can try all over again and just soak them for 2-4 days?

The one I really want is the Gold Metal and a few of the greens. My plan was to have one of each top 10 in the sweet catagory, that have a very distinct look. One red, one orange, one pink, one striped, one green, one yellow, one white, one cherry, (the black cherry in particulatr) one great tasting black,

you get the idea. I want them to look different in the garden so I can easily tell the difference.

If anyone can put in in touch with themselves or someine else who may still have their fruit source. Contact me here. Thanks.

Last edited by zeroma; August 27, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old August 27, 2012   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I found that when I added too much water, the skin failed to form. When I added just enough to swirl the tomato gunk, it worked fine.
Old August 27, 2012   #3
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I had very little water, but next time, I'll try putting in way less. Thanks for that tip ScottinAltanta.

Now to find out if I can still get some seeds. It is a learning curve , ya know?
Old August 27, 2012   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I had a batch of Brandywine seeds sprout much faster than I was expecting, though I did leave them to ferment a bit longer... so, perhaps, I shouldn't have been surprised.
Old August 27, 2012   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The unpredictability of fermenting have led me to saving seeds with Oxyclean or (if it's available) TSP. 30 minutes and it's done.

http://www.settfest.com/2009/01/saving-seeds/

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old August 27, 2012   #6
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks feldon30! I printed out the directions for Oxyclean. Will give that a try this time around. It will not get the better of me.
Old September 1, 2012   #7
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I did more experminting and got seed, no sprouts on my Lillian Yellow Heirloom and Marozol Braika.. I'm so happy. I'm loving the process when it works. I didn't even try to keep the gel or meaty part of the tomato I pinched and dug at to remove the seeds, put in just a little water and set them aside to ferment.

Is Oxiclean just a powder - I went looking and found it as part of a laundry detergent and as a gel stain remover. What form of it do you use feldon30?

Last edited by zeroma; September 1, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old September 2, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Zeroma,go to the Forums Index,proceed to the Tomatoville Seed Exchange and start your search.Might have to buy some stamps and squish proof bubble envelopes for the Self Adressed Stamped Envelopes, SASE.P.S.click on a posted wanted variety and you will see who responded and PM(personel message)them and find out if any are still availiable.

Last edited by kurt; September 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adddition
Old September 4, 2012   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Is Oxiclean just a powder - I went looking and found it as part of a laundry detergent and as a gel stain remover. What form of it do you use feldon30?
That's correct -- it's a washing powder. Get the plainest you can find (without any other additives).

And don't overdo it. After about 20 minutes, start feeling the seeds with your fingers. Once the gel has fallen away and the seeds are "clean", dump the goop into a strainer and rinse well.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]