Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old June 14, 2013   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default 2013 Taste Fest

Hello fellow CHOPTAGers.

I’ve been getting a good number of fruit set and laughed to myself when I thought I should start listing the varieties I would bring to the Taste Fest. Then I remembered the Taste Fest isn’t scheduled yet. I think the biggest obstacle is finding a place to hold it. If anyone knows of a place we can have the Fest let me know.
I thought we would hold it around the end of August.
Old June 18, 2013   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default The Place, Date and Time is set

Susan ( Barbee) has graciously offered her place for our 2013 Taste Fest. We’ll be holding it on Sunday, Aug. 25th 2013 from 11:30 ‘til 3pm.

Susan has a farm out in Mount Orab, Ohio. That’s about 40 miles east of downtown Cincinnati. She grows plenty of tomatoes and pigs and gigantic pumpkins and assuming they haven’t eaten him, Mr. Turkey.

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.

There is only one rule. Bring tomatoes or bring food.

Susan lives at 17127 Minnick Rd. Mount Orab 45154. If you Google map it you’ll see it is just off Rt 68 about half way between Rts 50 and 32.
Old August 11, 2013   #3
yrb
Tomatovillian™

See you there! Many new varieties to share!
Old August 17, 2013   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

A week from tomorrow. I’m looking forward to tasting some great tomatoes. I should have a few new varieties to share also.
Old August 17, 2013   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Sounds exciting Jerry. What new varieties do you have in your garden this season?

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 17, 2013   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Do not forget to take pictures and post the results.
Thanks and have a great TASTING.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
Old August 17, 2013   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Gearing up for the tasting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harvest8-13.jpg (182.3 KB, 67 views)
Old August 18, 2013   #8
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Lee,
Varieties that are new to me this year are - Red Bird, Mennonite Orange, Taxi, Bernardini, Burbank, Honey Drop Cherry and one I dug out of the 2006 bin, Thai Pink Egg
Old August 22, 2013   #9
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to the tasting. I think I might have to make that spinach dip again.
Old August 22, 2013   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

That was good Heather!
I'm going to do BBQ and cole slaw again. And some type of dessert!
Old August 23, 2013   #11
fenneltop
Tomatovillian™

I most likely will not make the tasting. If I do it will be towards the end. Out in Adams County all weekend for a class on true bugs. Not many ripening tomatoes. Tragedy struck my patch. 5 inches of rain with my heavy soil took its toll earlier this year. Every plant wilted down and looked to be on deaths door. I had just feed them prior to the rain and was worried if they did survive my their food was washed away. This wilted condition lasted quite some time. I thought I out right lost 1/3,1/3 looked bad but would live and the last 3rd seem alright after 2 weeks. I stripped off much of the fruit and hit them with a fungicide knowing that in this condition every leaf disease around would be lining up for their share. Fast forward to today, all but 2 plants look incredible. Loaded with fruit and no disease. My spacing has helped. They are ten feet apart in big cages. I have the room.
Old August 23, 2013   #12
fenneltop
Tomatovillian™

I think the plants probably had to regrow much of their root mass since the old roots suffocated.
Old August 23, 2013   #13
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenneltop View Post
I most likely will not make the tasting. If I do it will be towards the end. Out in Adams County all weekend for a class on true bugs. Not many ripening tomatoes. Tragedy struck my patch. 5 inches of rain with my heavy soil took its toll earlier this year. Every plant wilted down and looked to be on deaths door. I had just feed them prior to the rain and was worried if they did survive my their food was washed away. This wilted condition lasted quite some time. I thought I out right lost 1/3,1/3 looked bad but would live and the last 3rd seem alright after 2 weeks. I stripped off much of the fruit and hit them with a fungicide knowing that in this condition every leaf disease around would be lining up for their share. Fast forward to today, all but 2 plants look incredible. Loaded with fruit and no disease. My spacing has helped. They are ten feet apart in big cages. I have the room.
fenneltop, you are so close by already if in Adams County! Please do stop in as we will run over a bit like always and I have a group of giant vegetable growers coming in towards the end of the tasting to see the watermelons so there will be a nice crowd here pretty much all day. I will send you home with a few tomatoes too
Old August 23, 2013   #14
fenneltop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
fenneltop, you are so close by already if in Adams County! Please do stop in as we will run over a bit like always and I have a group of giant vegetable growers coming in towards the end of the tasting to see the watermelons so there will be a nice crowd here pretty much all day. I will send you home with a few tomatoes too
I have looked at the route and plan to stop if the hour is good.
Old August 25, 2013   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

My dawgs are barking tonight but boy we had a good turnout! Thanks to all who made the trip to the farm and for those we missed, hope to see you at the next tasting! I did not count the tomatoes but I heard we had 85+ varieties. Here is a little sample of the offerings. Jerry took quite a few pics so he can post more. Hint: this is 18 feet of table space plus they spilled over to a couple of other tables too. I think Ray wins the most varieties tasted award this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 tasting85.jpg (91.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Barbee; August 25, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: adding more info