Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2017   #76
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Hi from Southeast NC, to you guys in TX.
Looks like we have similar weather pattern. Yesterday in 70s today in 80s. hehe.

Bill, I will look for Tulip Poplar. I have seen them all the way from CT to GA. But here I see the soft maples are budding. Magnolias are in full bloom, daffodils are everywhere. My fall planted tulips are popping. Hey, I am ready. my garden is waiting and my tomatoes are ready too.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

At least one of my pepper plants I planted last year is coming back from trunk under the leaves.
I have no idea which one it was but it was a squash type I think.
Plus I have a wild poke plant coming up from seed by the house.
I have no idea where it came from as I don't have any here at all.
Some bird must have brought it in.
The scraggly sweet tomatoes I left in the ground are sprouting again.
If we have another good freeze it will really mess up some of my trees.
The sap will freeze and kill them back to the ground.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #78
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am tracking the 15 days forecast, as I would like to plant out in March ASAP.
So far the outlook is very good. March if off to a good start, with highs in low 70s. If this trend continues, I'll be in business. My first batch of maters are getting close to plant out size and the seem to be growing faster. Well, maybe they know something.
In the mean time my 2nd batch is germinating and I am busy planting cole crops and few potatoes. Onions sets , snap peas, are already planted, parsley and chives are growing. The weather better be good !
How is it in your neck of the woods ?
Let me tell you somethin, springs always come.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 18, 2017   #79
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

After a very mild January, February has followed in its footsteps. Including our first 60 degree day yesterday and the next 6 looking to be in the 50s. I thought about getting nuts and scratching some spinach seeds into our deck bed and covering with row cover. Then I looked into the pattern for the week after next. That gives us possible shots of snow twice the first 5 days of March in a month where average 7" of snow. So spinach seeds will stay in the basement and I'll keep spritzing my sweet peppers and work helmet heads off the hot pepper seedlings.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #80
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not to swing off into climate change but I heard something on the news the other day.
It said we are in an El Nina event.
We just got out of an El Nino event.
I have not researched this persons comment to verify what he said, he wasn't a weather person.

If it is so then it is not the way these oscillations work at all from my research on weather patterns of the past.
There are from what I can remember so called normal years in between.

From the last few years it seems to be feast (rain) or famine (drought).
Some plants can deal with it others cant.
Last spring (feast) put the hammer to my rosemary big time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #81
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not to swing off into climate change but I heard something on the news the other day.
I have not researched this persons comment to verify what he said, he wasn't a weather person.

If it is so then it is not the way these oscillations work at all from my research on weather patterns of the past.

Worth
We had a very brief normal period between, the time between events can vary quite a bit.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/ana...nsoyears.shtml

There are many other oscillations in the atmosphere that impact weather as well as just chaos. We are only in the 30s of years of quality satellite observations of this planet. I do think after 100 or 200 years (assuming the human race doesn't self-destruct) we will have the observations to see many of these oscillations and likely discover others on longer time scales we don't even know about now.

Regarding climate change, all I will say is this and if this crosses the line, it can be removed. When one side a scientific question threatens anyone that does not agree with them with imprisonment that should be a huge red flag to anyone. In the history of the world scientists were threatened and tarnished when they didn't agree with the consensus (e.g., the sun was actually the center of the solar system, the Earth was round not flat). At those points in history it wasn't merely a science question that motivated this behavior, but much more so money and power. I don't think today is any different--climate science has become less about climate and more about dark motivations mostly revolving around power and money.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; February 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #82
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It wasn't supposed to rain today. I looked at the NWS forecast again. Now they say 40% chance. I has been raining for hours. I think the computer has an insecurity complex about admitting it was wrong.

Here's the radar right now. 40% chance of rain for Carbondale. The darkest yellow is moving west, so it is about rain much harder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40percentchancerain.jpg (209.6 KB, 77 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #83
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
It depends on the strength of the event. Coming out of a Super Niño like last year chances are high that you go into a strong Nina the following year. We had a very weak Nina over the winter and already we are in what is considered neutral conditions. Forecasts are showing going back into Nino this summer, but that is not a lock.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #84
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We had much better success growing in drought years. So far, this year has been wet and hot. It is 80 degrees now and is supposed to rain a couple inches tomorrow.. Last week was the same 88 degrees on Monday and 2" of rain the next day (Valentines day).
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #85
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The weather has been perfect for me, we've missed the big rains and temps have been nice. I do prefer a dry year to grow, it's easy to water but I can't take it out if we get too much. The soil temp was about 66 before we had this last lil front come through so it won't be long now if we don't get too cold with the front coming on Feb 24th. Depending on the 10 day forecast after the 24th, I'm planning to set out plants on March 1st. Last Monday I tilled the garden and made 15 90' rows just in case we have too much rain later. I'm ready for a good year not like the floods from last year.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #86
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It has been nice and mostly sunny here. In all Feb up to now we've had about 2 to 3 inches of rain. With sandy soil we have no big problem with rain. You can never get your shoes muddy.
Today got up to 77F, Tonight's low will be 50F. THIS TREND SHOULD CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 15 DAYS. as far as the forecast shows.
I am ready to plant out. But will wait til end of Feb to see how the 15 days forecast looks then.
Our sandy sol warms up pretty quickly. The other day it checked at 55F.
I have to get my first batch of seedlings out to make room for the second batch.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 24, 2017   #87
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

22F and mostly cloudy in the wire garden today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170224_085828051.jpg (156.5 KB, 53 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #88
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was 92 degrees in the city we were in yesterday. (About 45 miles south of DFW Airport) It is 49 at 10am this morning. I'm starting to get used to it being hot, so 49 degrees with a strong north wind feels cold.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #89
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Today's high was around 85F. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. But night low will go down to 40 and tomorrow night will dip into 38F. Even then it is warmer than average.
I think this February , overall, will be warmest on record here. The temperature have been better than April averages.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 24, 2017   #90
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I am sick of snow, I have snowblowed my drive a dozen times, and lately have started using the tractor. AAARRRGGGHHHH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1593.JPG (331.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1592.JPG (348.7 KB, 33 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote