Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 20, 2007   #16
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Now it would have been interesting if I'd entered GMG into the best tasting contest and GMG won first and second places, LOL. We'd never be able to live with Grub after that!!! :-) Be calling His Majesty, Sir Grub! :-)
Old August 20, 2007   #17
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Earl, we oughta overnight a GMG to Grub, just to see if our Hemisphere has changed the taste any

By the way..the wife wanted me to let everyone at T-ville know that Earl has the finest piece of tastefest equipment.. a battery operated pepper mill...gosh what a hoot that was to see Earl pull it from his shirt pocket and grind some fresh pepper on his tomatoes 8)
Old August 20, 2007   #18
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the nice words Jerry and Earl. Yep, we are addicted to CHOPTAG, and now thanks to Jerry's prodding, Tomatoville, too. THe event was a BLAST!

"As far as the Cherokee Sausage ...The one in the picture is a small one. He had some twice that big. I’ll let him weigh in with the rest of the details."

We'll have to work on Markus to get registered and weigh in himself, but we have some bragging rights, since Cherokee Sausage is our grand child...

We got Cherokee Purple from various sources over the years, Totally Tomatoes, Seed Savers, Seeds of change, etc. but Sausage, we got in about '93 from a prize winning display at the KY state Fair. Ruth Last name ? from Louisville) was cleaning out her display on the last day and graciously gave us some tomatoes. We have always selected for largest in our seed saving tomatoes, and it seems they have gotten bigger over the years. THe first years they were 4-5" X 1.5-2", but in a good non-drought year, they produce 6-7" X 3-4" fruits. Our friends Steve and Caroline think they deserve a new name, but the jury is still out on that.

Mark has grown our plants for years, and has this one pretty stabilized after three years. THe biggest ones he brought show the blocky characteristics of our giant Sausage at its best. This was the first time we saw it, and it was like a prodigal grandchild had come home and done Good!

So Exciting! I hope it stays stable, because it it tasty like the Cherokee Purple, but big and meaty like our Sausage.

So great to be welcomed by youse guys. I told a friend today we probably have 20 or so new varieties of the best of the best, since choptaggers wouldn't bring anything they didn't like. Cant wait til MArch.

By the way, some day soon I'll post some harsh lessons we learned about seedsaving from newly aquired varieties without proper pre-planting sterilization and careful greenhouse observation. This spring we destroyed about 6000 plants rather than sell them with bacterial spot. I wrote an article and local papers and extension newsletters with help from the head plant pathologist at UK, Kenny Seebold, who helped guide us through the nightmare. Where would be the bestv place for that?

Thanks again for the wartm welcome and all the COOL varieties!!!

The Atwoodites ( Tony and Amy Powell)
Old August 20, 2007   #19
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed over the years normally one spouse of the household is the "grower with the knowledge". Not Tony and Amy..they both are hardcore materheads8) So my question is...will you both get memberships here or just put your name at the bottom of your threads..

Great to have you two here!

David
Old August 20, 2007   #20
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

AmyLou will have to answer that herself!
Old August 21, 2007   #21
Grub
Tomatovillian™

That sausage or black snag looks like a real banger to me. Bring it on. Looks terrific.

Earl and Dave,
You don't know how much I wish I was there. Those tables made even Summer drool.
Old August 21, 2007   #22
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Tony, Amy

Is Cherokee Sausage a cross between Sausage and Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Chocolate? I thought Mark said Chocolate but I was under the influence of 'maters at the time so I can't be held resposible. If it's purple I'll change my post above.
Old August 21, 2007   #23
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

I actually had plane tickets to go up there and see my family and go to CHOPTAG, sadly I missed it, due to DH starting a better job the week before. Iit will be definate next year as my family wont let me get away with cancelling another visit.
Old August 21, 2007   #24
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Bizz, we were looking forward to you being there. Well..considering that you gave me a boat load of seeds..it was kinda like you were there it is kinda like we shared a table8)

Grub that Sausage is a banger! I would say that Tony and Amy better get a name for it soon..or we will have to name it ourselves incredible taste for a paste/?.

I still say Earl's battery powered pepper grinder was the best!
Old August 21, 2007   #25
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Hey Tony, Amy

Is Cherokee Sausage a cross between Sausage and Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Chocolate?
Hey Jerry_ TP here, MArk grew our sausage and Ch. Purple, and I can't remember which was the Mom. I have him talked into joining the tomatovillians after he returns from his Clemson Fruit explorers conference. He is a real botanyhead. He goes to PASA in PA conferences as oft as he can.

Thomas- the heat is on. I know, it is kind of boring, but Mark agrees with you. Ch Sausage is just its working name for now. It could very well be Grub influenced.

Grub, nice meeting you, GMG is fantastic. Exciting to hang out with Aussie Materheads who like to swap seeds. Ever been to Phillipines? Spent time there in the peace corps and met gobs of sloshed Aussies in Manila. Great folks, hard to understand when drunk. Met one old boy who communed with dolphins. Don't think alcohol was his intoxicant of choice.

TP
Old August 22, 2007   #26
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Lol TP.

Missed the call up for the Phillipines once they heard I had a new green-when-ripe that had some more growing out to do Glad you liked it. Sloshed Aussie seems to be the norm' rather than the exception, something to so with our convict heritage.

Can't wait to hear what the final name is for Cherokee Sausage... I'm working on it.

Best. G.
Old August 22, 2007   #27
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Looks like another great CHOPTAG meeting was enjoyed by all. I really enjoyed the photos and reading about all the fun!

I am planning to attend in '08... if you all promise to not laugh at my Boston accent.

It's also nice to see some new faces among the familiar ones. Welcome to Tomatoville, Tony!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Old August 22, 2007   #28
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi All,
We just got back home a few hours ago! I don't know where to begin. EVERYONE was just so WONDERFUL!(Just so you know, not everyone in NY is loud like me) I never thought I could get so full eating mainly tomatoes. Some of the tables were just loaded and gorgeous. I have a Photobucket album I just made. Please take a look:
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...02007/CHOPTAG/
I tried so many tomatoes and I know I still missed many. Plus there was other great food! Dave T's jalapenos were outstanding. The homemade ketchups Gary made for my Gary's hotdogs were absolutely wonderful. I haven't checked to see if Gary posted the recipes, but he must soon if he hasn't. Oh and he needs to post the recipes for the spreads he brought also. And on top of all that Gary also made coleslaw for my Gary's hotdogs!
I took the desserts with me as snacks for the rest of our vacation. They were all yummy. I told my Gary that a group of tomato lovers would of course make other food great. I wish I could of tried it all.
Earl had me taste a pepper that I don't remember what it was. It was very tasty. My Gary asked me to ask what it was. Earl also gave us garlic and walking onions to take home to plant. Earl's wife, Kathy,(as with all the women there) was a great lady. I can see why he always praises her.
I tried Grub's Mystery Green on Earl's table and really loved it. I did not try Dave T's version. (I couldn't try everything Dave had! check out the photo) Though it was obviously great being the winner.
I never did get to try Jerry's peppers. They were so beautiful; I wish I had. The same goes for Lisa's tomato salad. It was just gorgeous. Her children were all adorable and very sweet.
I'm glad I got to meet Dave M. and his wife, Char. Thank you for giving me plates and letting me use your knife!
I had a lot of fun talking to Ray and "Eric". They really made Gary and I feel at home when we first got there.
I'm glad of course that I finally got to meet Terry. I'm glad I was younger than she imagined. My Gary really liked her Monkey's A**. I guess I need seeds for that one too. I sure hope she comes to the party here.
Tony and Amy were such a great couple. They told us about a few things to do while staying in the area like going to the Union Terminal which we enjoyed.
I enjoyed talking to Susan about sweet tomatoes. She had the sweetest tomato I tried with a Russian sounding name that began with a G. The name escapes me at the moment. I think the trip is catching up to me! I'm getting tired.
I know I'm forgetting a few others and I don't mean too! You all were great.
I'm happy we decided to drive down for the trip. It was a very memorable day. Though Gary is not a "hardcore materhead" like me, he had a wonderful time and now truly knows there are others out there worse than me.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 22, 2007   #29
tomatoaddict

Hey Remy!! so glad you got home okay. I hope you and Gary both had a nice time.
Meeting you was a definite highlight for me too. I kept thinking that we've been talking back and forth for a year now but it hasn't even been that long. I think just since Jan. I guess you just feel like a life long tomato friend to me.
Hopefully at the N.Y. party we can talk more. Seemed like we just didn't get enough time.
Old August 23, 2007   #30
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Remy,

Glad you two made it home OK.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Tell Gary the dogs were great. I’ll have to see if I can figure a way to get some shipped down here.

Last edited by JerryL; August 23, 2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: fix the font????