Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 23, 2007   #31
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello Loved looking at the pictures. I had a great time.Getting to know everyone and the tomato knowledge is the highlight of the season. Never thought I would be able to pick and choose tomatoes by their taste unless I grew them..With the support and encouagement of this group, Heirloom tomatoes will be a growing hobby for folks that love to grow their own produce. Susan

Last edited by tootaloo; August 23, 2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old August 23, 2007   #32
Earl
Tomatovillian™

A few more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrival.jpg (90.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg CHOPTAG2 2007.jpg (132.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg CHOPTAG 2007.jpg (83.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cuttin-tastin.jpg (98.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg David-Ken.jpg (124.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg David's table-wife.jpg (128.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Lisa's Family.jpg (93.4 KB, 45 views)
Old August 24, 2007   #33
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Remy
Glad you enjoyed Union Terminal. Man that is dedication to tomato craziness to travel as far as you and Gary did. Very admirable! Amy is still working up to posting, so I am sure she'll weigh in soon, but it was great meeting you and Gary. Let us all know if there are any events up your way we should know about. Who knows who'll show up.

I say "us all" as if I am an old hand around here, but these folks have made us feel very welcome, and have given us a sense that, yes, we are not the only one who are "ate up" with maters. Glad you Gary was able to see it first hand. Maybe he'll get the bug...

Toe
Old August 24, 2007   #34
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

You said "growing hobby"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootaloo View Post
growing hobby
Toe
Old August 24, 2007   #35
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
I am planning to attend in '08... if you all promise to not laugh at my Boston accent.
You have a great accent.

Loved the pictures, everyone. Looks like you folks had a wonderful time.

I was also thinking about attending next year.
Old August 24, 2007   #36
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Mischka, it would be an honor for you to attend the '08 gathering. Would you route the Lear by NY and pick up Carolyn and gang? :-) As to overlooking accent, I'll over look yours if you'll overlook mine. LOL.
Old August 25, 2007   #37
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Yessiree.. been told 'bout mesouthernhia accent too Earl
Old August 28, 2007   #38
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Toe,
When I told people at work I was going to the party. I think some of them thought it was a bit nutty. Today, I showed people at work the photos I took of the tables of tomatoes. They were actually wowed by them, and seemed to more understand that it was really a TOMATO party. I had a wonderful time and would drive it all over again to attend.
I'm still surprised though how willing Gary was to go. Slowly over time I've been converting him into a gardener. I don't know if he'll ever be as nuts as me!
Another tomatovillian, Mark Korney, and I are holding our first tomato party a couple Saturdays from now. I don't think we will have such a nice display of so many tomatoes as you all did, but I think we are going to have a great time. You did make me think I should post about other things to do in the area on our forum so if people are thinking of coming up this way, even at another time, they will have ideas of what to do.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 30, 2007   #39
fenneltop
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Sausage

Greetings All,
I am the one who introduced several of you to the new chance cross between Cherokee Purple and Sausage.
Here is how it all started. Four years ago I notice this odd tomatoe in my patch. It didnt match anything I was growing. It was purple and pear shaped. Of course I saved the seed.
The following year that seed crop produced six distinctive varieties. The two most promising were CHerokee sausage and a long light pink. Others were varing shapes of purple.
I am loving the Cherokee sausage more and more. As someone said it looks like a puple opalka. Kind of three to four sided with a pointy tip, green shoulders that fade into purple. The flesh is increadibly juicy and sweet. The skin is very delicate.In fact it is the most delicate tomatoe I have dealt with. You just have to look at them funny and they bruise. The fruit doesnt suffer from concentric cracking but it does get some longitudinal cracking. Its a regular leafed plant with heavy foilage cover.
The name Cherokee Sausage works for me. Thats what it looks like and thats what it truly is.
I was very happy Tony and Amy called me about the tasting. It was great to meet everyone. The tomatoe diversity was incredible.
One other side note. On my way home from the conference at Clemson I stopped at the ashville NC farmers market. Its really almost a whole sale place but thats beside the matter. A fewer farmers or distributors where selling hierlooms by the bushel. Old German and Cherokee. 44 dollars was the going rate.

Mark
Old August 30, 2007   #40
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Markhead, Welcome aboard. Fenneltop is a great handle.Now I just have to get Amy to post. Check out Thomas's compost tea injector at "gardening in the Green" He's the concrete contractor with beaucoup bajillion varieties at the tasting. Lots of cool stuff throughout, like the cross hemisphere dwarf project, very technical cross breeding info. WOW! Explore, have fun.
Toe
Old August 31, 2007   #41
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Mark/fenneltop,

Welcome to the madness. Great to see you posting.

It’s good to hear the history on Cherokee Sausage. It’s a terrific tasting tomato and has a great look.

I’m hoping to plant two or three plants next year and see how it does making sauce.

Thanks for coming to the Taste Fest and sharing it with us.

As Tony said there is a wealth of information here. Search to your hearts content and if you don’t find what you’re looking for just ask. If the people here don’t know the answer – there is no answer.

Last edited by JerryL; August 31, 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Dumbness
Old September 23, 2007   #42
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone pm me the person I need to beg for some Cherokee Sausage seeds I will post in the wanted section.-R
Old September 23, 2007   #43
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Rena

Fenneltop (Mark) is the founder of Cherokee Sausage. I’m not sure how many people got seed from him at the CHOPTAG Taste Fest. I’m also not sure if he considers it ready for general distribution yet. When I asked for seed I promised I wouldn’t distribute any until he felt comfortable with it. I don’t know if anyone else made that promise.

He doesn’t visit T'ville often so I’m not sure if a PM would reach him anytime soon. I do have a way to get to him if you would like for me to follow up for you. Just let me know.

I’ll post this in both your threads.
Old September 23, 2007   #44
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Rena and Jerry,
Rena, Jerry is right, Mark Fennelhead didn't want to make it available until he grew it out at least another year, or at least that is what I remember. I'll call him and tell him there are already Cherokee Sausage groupies eagerly awaiting his word.

PS, "C.S." is just a working name. Thomas expects something much quirkier.
See ya's
Toe
Old September 24, 2007   #45
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Sure I understand LOL- really I will look for seeds next year OR maybe I will come to Choptag next year and beg for some in person.