Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old December 18, 2008   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG 2009 - Events

The dates are set.

Our Plant Swap will be on Saturday May 9th starting at 12 noon.

Our 8th annual Taste Fest will be held on Saturday Aug 22nd starting at 1pm.

Both events will be held at our usual location, Paxton Ramsey Park in the Loveland, Ohio area.

http://www.miamitwp.org/recreation/parks/paxton/paxton.htm

Come prepared to have a good time, share tomato stories, eat good food and at the Taste Fest enjoy some of the world’s best tomatoes.

Remember, everyone is welcome, with or without plants/tomatoes. Just bring extra food.
Old December 31, 2008   #2
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jerry,

I am looking forward to seeing you all this Spring. I will arrive late, I am sure, because I will be at market on Saturday morning peddling tomato plants!

Lisa
Old December 31, 2008   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yahoo! I was just thinking about the plant exchange today. Can't wait to see everyone again.
Old January 26, 2009   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

If this mini-Ice Age keeps on keeping on we may need to change the plant-share meet date to July, 9th!!! :-)
Old January 26, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

OK...since we can't start any plants yet......how about we discuss when we're going to start them I'm kicking around starting mine mid March IF I can stand to wait that long LoL

Since this will be my first plant swap, what is the average plant size or age of tomatoes that people bring to swap?
Old January 27, 2009   #6
yrb
Tomatovillian™

Yay Jerry, Tony and I will be there with many. Narrowing down my list of what to grow this year! See you soon,
Amy
Old January 28, 2009   #7
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Earl
The weatherman said that your area was expected to continue experiencing unusual cold temperatures for the next 40 days. Ouch! Might just have to move the date to August?

George
Old January 31, 2009   #8
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barbee,

I always start my plants on the first of March, then transplant them to 4" pots on the first of April. They are ready for market (and CHOPTAG) on the first weekend in May. They are still pretty small.... guessing about 6 inches. I have seen all sizes at CHOPTAG... from little 1-2" seedlings to 2-3' plants!

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING Y'ALL!

Lisa

P.S. Baby is due on Valentine's Day, so I will get to introduce the newest family member!
Old January 31, 2009   #9
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

If this darn weather keeps up, I'm going to go snow crazy!
I may bring my trades in gallon pots
Congrats on the little one.
Old February 10, 2009   #10
tomatoaddict

anyone posting what they are bringing yet?
I think I'll post my list before I sow and that way if anyone wants something I will just grow extra's of that.
Old February 11, 2009   #11
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Good idea. Here is what I plan on growing so far. Order early for best selection.

Amish Paste
Amish heirloom variety produces paste-type fruit with an oblong oxheart shape. 8 ounce tomatoes are solid with an outstandingly good, sweet flavor. Indeterminate.

Andes Horn
This big robust heavy yielding plant is from the Andes Mountains of Peru where it has been grown for many generations. Called Andine Cornue in French, it grows easily in high altitudes. The delicious, meaty 7" fruits, plump and cow horn-shaped, are deep orange-red, growing in bountiful clusters of 6 to 9. Some fruits grow 'double', looking like twin horns joined at the stem end. Horn of the Andes fruits have very few seeds, are great for fresh eating and for cooking. This really big plant will need extra support and growing space.

Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
Disease resistant- Intense red color beefsteak- great flavor. 12-16 oz.

Ashleigh
Large red beefsteak, ribbing at shoulders - originally from Lazec, Macedonia - named for the niece of Neil Gillard - Moderately sweet, few seeds, meaty with a lemon finish. Moist shapley fruit.

Aunt Gertie's Gold
Indet. potato leaf - Large plant, high yield of 8g-1# gold fruits. Some may be blemished but the taste of this variety is superb. Golden Yellow 10-20 oz. fruits on huge potato leaf plants that grow quite tall. This variety is a Virginia heirloom with flavor that you won't believe. It reminds us of a mango crossed with a tomato. Delicious!

Black Cherry
This is the first truly black cherry tomato we've found. It is not a plum, but a perfectly round cherry with classic black tomato flavor, sweet yet rich and complex. Fruit picks clean from the stem and is produced in abundance on vigorous, tall plants. These cherries are irresistibly delicious and a unique addition to the color spectrum of cherry tomatoes now available.

Box Car Willie
Red - Regular Leaf. Very heavy crop of 6-10 oz smooth red fruit. Delicious flavor. Round globes are disease resistant and don't crack. Abundant production.

Brandywine, Sudduth
Description from Heirloom Seeds - From the legendary Ben Quisenberry collection, we now offer this great tasting Brandywine variety! Mr. Quisenberry obtained this variety from Doris Sudduth Hill in 1980, whose family took pride in growing for over 80 years. This large, pink beefsteak variety is considered by many to be the best tasting pink tomato. The luscious fruits can weigh up to 2 pounds and have an intense, rich tomato flavor.

Brandywine, Yellow (Platfoot)
Golden fruited, large fruit, oblate shape, some green shoulders, some ribbed shoulders, some cracking, yield can range from low to high, potato leaf, meaty, flavor intense and on the tart side. This special strain of Yellow Brandywine comes from seed saved by Gary Platfoot of Ohio, who felt that it had special attributes that were only adding to an already wonderful variety. The main improvements of this strain are increased productivity and a smoother shape than regular Yellow Brandywine. Otherwise, Platfoot strain offers the same incredibly rich and delicious flavor in deep golden-yellow tomatoes that weigh from 1 to 2 lbs. Tall vines have potato-leaved foliage.

Canestrino
A local Costoluto with a "fiasco" shape, looks like a gathered draw string purse. 1.5" at top, 3.25" at the bottom, 2.25" height, 7oz. Deep red with thick walls. Makes a good sauce or stuffer. We bought a tomato in a COOP Market in Sienna Italy and brought the seeds home. A very small taste test while saving seed - 8.5. The first tasting of 2008 was great - a 9.5 sweet and full bodied - Ruddy, with fluted, gourdlike shapes and a high meat-to-seed ratio, their rich, silken flesh offers moderate acid and full flavor whether you eat them raw or simmered into spaghetti sauce - Unique appearance,shaped like fat hershey kisses. The name means "Little Basket"in Italian.

Carbon
This is among the darkest of the "black" tomatoes that we've seen and one of the very best tasting tomatoes of any kind that we've sampled. Its flavor is exceptionally rich yet sweet and the essence of delicious summer tomato flavor. Medium to large, 8 to 12 oz. tomatoes are flattened round and smooth, without the cracking or blemishing that seems to plague some black tomatoes. They are dark purplish-brown on the outside with a deep brick-red interior.

Cherokee Green
Another variety submitted by Craig LeHoullier who writes, "In 1997, I grew out Cherokee Chocolate from another seed saver. One plant gave me fruit that stayed green when ripe with delicious flavor. Suspecting it was a cross, it has nonetheless proven to come true from saved seed, indicating that it may be a mutation. It is essentially like Cherokee Purple or Cherokee Chocolate in plant habit, fruit shape and size and flavor, but the interior ripens bright green and the skin takes on a yellowish hue when ripe."

Cherokee Purple
Very productive plants bear loads of 10 to 12 oz. dusky rose/purple fruit with deep brick red interiors. The tomatoes are absolutely delicious with a pleasantly sweet and rich flavor. With thin skin and soft flesh, the fruit is somewhat perishable, but they taste so good they will be eaten quickly anyhow. Heirloom from Tennessee. Indeterminate. 80 days.

Diener
75 days - A selection of Santa Clara Canner, but deeper crimson; Very large, well shaped and superbly flavored fruit - Scarlet Red, Medium large

Dr. Carolyn
70 Days - Ind. reg. leaf cream-translucent cherry tomato. This variety was selected from a sport of the yellow cherry, Galina's, and named after the well known heirloom tomato enthusiast, Dr. Carolyn Male. Great taste and production.

Eva Purple Ball
80 days - This delicious German heirloom dates back to the late 1800’s, and has pink fruits that are perfect globes, each weighing 6 to 8 ounces. The sweet, juicy flesh of this variety is delicious! A high yielding variety. Indeterminate vines.

Frank's Large Red
Large red, seed found in 1998 in an envelop marked 1973

Granny Cantrell's German Red
Kentucky Family has shared a few Heirloom Tomato Seed with me which they have grown since 1945. They loved this tomato so much that it has been the only tomato they have grown all those years. They do not have a name for it but stated that it was a German Red. For record purposes, I am going to call it Granny Cantrell's German Red Tomato. I would like to send you 15 seed if you are willing to grow it and save seed for me to use with the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy group; we are organizing to preserve rare Heirloom Plants/Vegetables which have been grown over the years. These seed will be made available to members within the organization.

Guido
A very productive red beefstake. Firm, meaty full flavored. Up to 2lb- most about 1lb

Italian Sweet
85 Days - Large and luscious red beefsteak tomatoes grow on tall, potato-leaved plants. We got the stock seed for this variety from a 3 lb. tomato we bought at a farmer's market. The fruit was incredibly sweet and juicy, full of old-fashioned tomato flavor. Indeterminate.

KBX
This is a PL Kellogg's Breakfast from VA Martha

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Beautiful, clear yellow beefsteak fruit weighs at least a pound with a flavor that is rich and complex, yet refreshingly sweet. Very meaty tomatoes have few seeds while still being juicy and absolutely delicious. The vigorous plants are potato-leaved, which is not often found in large yellow varieties. Considered one of the finest tasting yellow heirlooms and unique for its pale yellow, not golden, color. Indeterminate. - Beautiful lemon yellow color, meaty, few seeds, flavorful, moderately sweet with citrus overtones, smooth texture and tender skin. A great mouth feel.

Lucky Cross
80 days; indet potato leaf, fairly stable selection from Brandywine & ?; bee-produced cross; Brandywine shape and size, red-yellow bicolor, near Brandywine flavor, delicious, named by Craig , assisted in it's stabilization by NC BO L

Marianna's Peace
Beloved Czech heirloom. 8oz.-1Lb. deep rich pink beefsteaks. Tall and thick potato leaf foliage. Very intense sweet flavor when left to ripen fully on the vine. Needs good soil to yield well.

Mark Twain
Fruits ripen with a distinctive red ribbing set on yellow fruits, finally turning red. Avg. 20 oz

Mortgage Lifter, Radiator Charlie
75-85 days.- Indet - reg leaf - Also called Radiator Charlie. Long-time favorite with good yields of very large, smooth, pink-skinned fruits even in droughts. Very meaty fruits with few seeds, much like Giant Belgium, but not quite as large. Very mild, delectable, sweet flavor.

Pomme d' Amour
Thomas Jefferson documented planting this relatively unfamiliar vegetable in his kitchen garden from 1809, the first summer of his retirement, until his death in 1826. Small-fruit tomatoes that were mostly grown for ornament; however, the mild, pinkish-red tomatoes are ideal for garden snacking, salads, and drying.

Purple Calabash
Extremely attractive, the dark maroon colored fruit is very fluted and pleated, with a rich complex flavor. The prolific vines will produce a large crop of 3 inch tomatoes. - One of the most interesting looking and complex tasting tomatoes you can grow. The Cinderella pumpkin-shaped tomatoes are about 3 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches tall and very deeply ribbed. Light green-purple at the shoulders gives way to dark purple at the base and an equally dark purple interior. Very complex deep swirling tomato flavors, reminding you of a fruity cabernet wine.

Red Brandywine
First introduced in 1885 by Amish farmers in Chester County, Pennsylvania, the large vines produce fruit that are 8 oz. to 1 pound in size and deep red in color. This excellent tasting tomato is very productive, and is our favorite! This is the original Red Brandywine, first offered in 1989.

Rossi Nostr
A round, flattened variety that rippens a deep red. Very fluted like Costotuto. We bought a tomato in a COOP Market in Sienna Italy and brought the seeds home. A very small taste test while saving seed - 7.0

San Marzano
Produces good yields of 3 ½" bright red tomatoes. Very meaty. Excellent for making paste, sauce, puree, and canning. Crack Resistant. United States Department of Agriculture, NSL 5916. Indeterminate.

Sausage
Plant produces good yields of large 6" long red tomatoes. Very flavorful. Excellent for making ketchup, paste, and sauces. Also suitable for canning. A heirloom variety from the USA. Indeterminate.

Sungold F1
Very sweet, bright orange cherry tomatoes taste not just sugary but also fruity and delicious. Vigorous growers, these tall plants bear long clusters of fruit. Try these for a real taste treat, you won't believe you're eating tomatoes! Indeterminate.

Tiffen Mennonite
Large, dark pink fruit with an outstanding flavor and smoothly textured flesh. Tomatoes are somewhat similar to those of Brandywine, and plants have large potato-leaved foliage. Heirloom variety from the Mennonites. Indeterminate - Meaty yet moist,very few seeds, sweet with a subtle tangy finish. Brings back tomato taste of my youth.

Tom's Yellow Wonder
Large Yellow Beefsteaks (some with pointed fruits) RL Plants ( let me know if you get PL) Disease Tolerance

Wessel's Purple Pride
A cross between Cherokee Purple and Sausage found by Mark. As someone said it looks like a purple opalka. Kind of three to four sided with a pointy tip, green shoulders that fade into purple. The flesh is increadibly juicy and sweet. The skin is very delicate. In fact it is the most delicate tomatoe I have dealt with. You just have to look at them funny and they bruise. The fruit doesn't suffer from concentric cracking but it does get some longitudinal cracking. It's a regular leafed plant with heavy foilage cover.

Winsall
While there have been a lot of tomatoes distributed under the name of Winsall, this one is the original grown from stock seed we obtained from the USDA Seed Bank. The plants have regular tomato foliage and produce large l lb. or more pink fruit with absolutely scrumptious taste. Heirloom originating with the Henderson Seed Company in 1924

Wuhib
From Carolyn's Book - Red, Determinate, plum shaped, very subtle, somewhat sweet. 1/4 lb An Online source - Indeterminate plants. Red plum-type 1 to 2 oz paste tomato

Wes
Good yields of large red heart-shaped fruit. Indet - high yield 1 to 1.5 lb. 85 days.

Vinson Watts
Indeterminate, 1 lb., regular leaf, beefsteak: salad/slicing. Large, flattened fruit with excellent flavor with a balance of sweetness and acid. An old Virginia heirloom that was grown in Moorehead, Kentucky, for over 50 years by the late Vinson Watts, Sr.
Old February 11, 2009   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

This is what I'm planting for myself and neighbors. I plan to bring my extras to the swap. IF all goes well LoL

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Krim
Black from Tula
Black Cherry
Better Boy Hybrid
Box Car Willie
Earl's Faux
JD's Special C-Tex
KBX
Marianna's Peace
Mr Stripey (large beefsteak)

I don't know how hard it is to keep track of who requests what. My memory was never too good, but I'll try my best If worse comes to worse, I'll plant extras of the varieties I get requests for and the request-ers can sort it out at the swap.
Is it okay to bring flowers and peppers, too?
Old February 11, 2009   #13
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Jerry, regarding Purple Calabash, as stated:

Quote:
Very complex deep swirling tomato flavors, reminding you of a fruity cabernet wine.
I had to laugh . Poetic license at it's best. Have you grown it before? One of only two 'spitters' I have ever grown. But like they say, your mileage may vary.

Duane
Old February 11, 2009   #14
tomatoaddict

LOL... I grew Purple Calabash 2 seasons ago. Mainly as a curiosity for the people that like to come to the garden. They got a kick out of the shape and color. I had to look back at my notes to see what I thought of the taste. I didn't have it down as a spitter but it definitely wasn't up there on the taste scale. What was your other spitter Duane?
I'll be posting my growlist here shortly for those that want to get back with me about any extra's.
Old February 11, 2009   #15
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

My only other 'spitter' was Sugary. Just plain awful. Thick skinned vile thing. The bugs and birds didn't want anything to do with it. Some kind of 'award winner'. Uh huh. Sure. No taste, thick skin, just plain awful. Purple Calabash I actually did 'spit' after tasting it in the garden. Winey? Who wants a tomato that tastes like wine? Somebody might like it though, and if they do, hey...more power to 'em. Not everyone likes what I like and that is fine. I am not offended.

Duane