Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2016   #1
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Cups or Styrofoam?

I messed up and need to buy some cups. I'm ready to start potting up.
I like to recycle and have a ton of red cups from a party but the are a different style and very fragile...the ones with the ridges. Seems they are using less material and have ridges to strengthen them. Also not as tall as the big reds.
I've used the big styrofoam and really like them. And could recycle a bit for packing material and crushed into the bottom of big pots. Still hate buying them.

Maybe my red ones with ridges were stepped on, who knows.
I use the restaurant bus-boy trays and both styles fit really well. Maybe the styrofoam a bit better as they sort of stick to each other.

Is it just personal preference? or is one really better than the other.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can tell you right now I will never allow polystyrene in my house and for good reason.
And I wont use the solo cups either.
But given a choice I would just go buy some new solo cups.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #3
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

We use bus boxes and re-purposed cups from McD's - 20 oz. for tomatoes and annuum peppers, 16 oz. for superhot peppers.

This year we're using Eko greenstripe compostable cups for the peppers, with drainage holes using a Dremel drill.

I'd say, go for the Solo cups. There are heavier Solo cups available. The newer red ones are quite flimsy.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Definitely not styrofoam. Can't-use and can't recycle it. Solo cups, while inexpensive are top heavy owing to their shape and not really reusable for more than one season depending on your budget, I really think it would s better to use greenhouse pots at least 4". I have a vast collection of used ones collected and re used for many years. For next year have everyone you know save the pots they purchase annuals in at the garden centre. Your local Eco centre or an ad on the local buy and sell looking for free greenhouse pots might work as well. They stack neatly, are easy to clean and will last to reuse at least 5 years in my experience. Greenhouses don't use solo cups. There is a reason for that, it's because they are not the best size and shape.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I used an eco type compostable cup one year. They were a weird texture like a cross between cardboard and styrofoam...well, they developed a massive fuzzy growth all over the inside edge and the outside started to break down before i could get them in the ground. Must have been some type of starch.
I found another stack of solo in the garage...they just need a sterilizing rinse. Good for today. I seem to see the red solo more than any other choice.

I should look for a square nursery type pot that is tall and slender...the solos are a real space saver when that little tray of starts, three per cell and good germination, need potting up to four big trays. I run out of room fast!
Old March 31, 2016   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

These are tempting if they did not spend much time in the pots to get root bound. I could see a lot of root development along the stems though.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 11.05.25 AM.png (111.6 KB, 193 views)
Old March 31, 2016   #7
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

like the manure 5" square pots probably the best.

Guess it depends on how many plants, and intended use?

1. Do you plan on putting these in the ground?
2. Are you selling plants?
3. How many plants we talking about?

No-Go on the Styrofoam, everyone has used a solo cup at one time or another just make sure to drill some holes in the bottom.

I have a nursery that I visit and they have a graveyard of planting containers in the 10's of thousands, from very big, to very small. Often they just give me what I want, but usually slip them a fiver.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I just now drilled holes in about 40 solos. And a couple holes up the sides 1/4 inch up. I'm pretty zippy with a drill. (some lip-stick on the edges is gross so i might wash quickly again).

I have another hundred still ok from last year...just need to bleach dip.
I save my nursery pots for gifting and the plant donation we've been having. (a serious storm and flood wiped out a number of towns near me that are on the river....recovering but lawns and gardens were destroyed so i start ten fold what i use). My local mom and pop hardware/nursery lost everything. Another up the mountain near me were fine so maybe i'll check with them for pots.

So no, i don't sell. Just don't like to 'give-away/gift' solos.

I just thought i was ready to go when i started to clean and drill a big sleeve and they were split and cracked up the sides. So heads up, one style to avoid.
Old March 31, 2016   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I know it is ecologically irresponsible but in the past when I gave plants away it was always in a styro cup. Drain holes poked easily in the bottom with a long nail so they could be stacked and the holes poked through about six at a time; Styro is cheap and the variety name could be written on the side of the cup with a Sharpee.

So this year the investment was made in some plastic nursery style pots, 2"X2"X3 1/2" hoping most are returned to be used next year. No more styrofoam here. Solos are too brittle for me to work with and I don't like red.
Old March 31, 2016   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I like at least an 8-10 inch pot and why the solos work for so many of us....I would buy nursery pots that are a bit taller if i could find them. Tall and slender. I pot up deep and usually half full, then add more soil as they leg up. Sometimes just a week later.

I've got about 40 potted up now...and about that much culled.

If i was a market gardener and selling, i would tag and note that return pots get a free plant....
I did recipe cards for a friends heirlooms at market and did not think about return pots.
Old March 31, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been using solo cups. I want to look into buying something like these Coex Cups http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...pots/seed-pots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12775_4176_large.jpg (18.2 KB, 163 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've been using solo cups. I want to look into buying something like these Coex Cups http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...pots/seed-pots

Don't do it yet Salt and I will tell you why in a bit.
I cant remember if I started a thread on this or not.
But there is a very good reason I want to show you what you too need to buy.
Old March 31, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Don't do it yet Salt and I will tell you why in a bit.
I cant remember if I started a thread on this or not.
But there is a very good reason I want to show you what you too need to buy.
I'm not in any rush at all to tell Jan I want to buy $85 worth of planting cups

Sounds good Worth, I have an open mind.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here you go these will last a long time provided you put them away in the shed after you use them.
Always get injection molded containers not the other stuff.
And get square not round and get the trays that go with them.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...d-plastic-pots
Old March 31, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay I am back again, in the middle of making french fried potaters with mustard on them.

The thin form pots if you dont watch out you will be getting no more than the cheap solo cups again.
You will be lucky if they last one season.
Trust me I have already made this mistake.
These are the trays that go with them.
There are also other companies that make this stuff I just forgot where to find them.
These are like the stuff they sell the plants in at HEB.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...d-plastic-pots