Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old June 14, 2012   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Eggplant plant pics - stem/leaf/calyx colors are distinctive

I've noted for awhile that, unlike tomatoes and peppers, eggplant really do have very distinctive stem/leaf/vein/fruit calyx colors that are specific for varieties. This can be helpful for seed savers, as it is pretty easy to spot when you have a cross or mix up.

Some comparisons - stem, leaf, calyx (if present)

Pay particular attention to the veins on the leaves - and how the color can be constant throughout all veins, or be pale at the edges, then shade into a color toward the base.

I know this is really geeky - but it is really interesting to me!

Some CVs

Louisiana Long Green LA Long Green stem June 14 2012.jpg LA long green leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Green Giant Green Giant stem June 14 2012.jpg Green Giant leaf June 14 2012.jpg Green Giant calyx June 14 2012.jpg
Listada di Gandia Listada di Gandia stem June 14 2012.jpg Listada leaf June 14 2012.jpg Listada flower June 14 2012.jpg
Prosperosa Prosperosa stem June 14 2012.jpg Prosperosa leaf June 14 2012.jpg Prosperosa bud June 14 2012.jpg
New York Improved NY Improved stem June 14 2012.jpg NY Improved leaf June 14 2012.jpg NY Improved bud June 14 2012.jpg
Ping Tung Long Ping Tung Long stem June 14 2012.jpg Ping Tung Long leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Lao White Lao White stem June 14 2012.jpg Lao White leaf June 14 2012.jpg Lao White calyx June 14 2012.jpg
Thai Ribbed Thai Ribbed stem June 14 2012.jpg Thai Ribbed leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Indonesian Pink Blush Indonesian Pink Blush June 14 2012.jpg Indo Pink Blush leaf June 14 2012.jpg

some of my own creations - dehybridization efforts

Twilight Lightning Twilight Lightning stem June 14 2012.jpg Twilight Lightning leaf June 14 2012.jpg Twilight Lightning calyx June 14 2012.jpg
Midnight Lightning Midnight Lightning stem June 14 2012.jpg Midnight Lightning leaf 1 June 14 2012.jpg Midnight Lightning leaf 2 June 14 2012.jpg Midnight Lightning calyx June 14 2012.jpg Midnight Lightning flower June 14 2012.jpg
Twilight Skinny Skinny Twilight stem June 14 2012.jpg Skinny Twilight leaf June 14 2012.jpgSkinny Twilight fruit June 14 2012.jpg
Snow Globe Snow Globe stem June 14 2012.jpg Snow Globe leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Ripples Ripples stem June 14 2012.jpg Ripples leaf June 14 2012.jpg

some off types

Indonesian Pink Blush Indo Pink Blush cross stem June 14 2012.jpg Indo Pink blush cross leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Listada di Gandia Listada dark stem Stem June 14 2012.jpg Listada dark stem leaf June 14 2012.jpg Listada dark stem bud June 14 2012.jpg
LA Long Green LA Long Green cross stem June 14 2012.jpg LA Long Green cross leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Prosperosa Prosperosa cross stem June 14 2012.jpg Prosperosa cross leaf June 14 2012.jpg
Old June 15, 2012   #2
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I love the shots for each type, great leaning post.

I've just come to love eggplant and have grown a few, nothing better than fresh cut and cook eggplant.

thanks for posting all those pictures and explaining.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #3
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

nctomatoman,

I got these eggplants seeds from a friend......... he didn't know what kind it was other that it's green........ have you ever seen one like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120617_121343.jpg (207.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20120617_121352.jpg (213.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20120617_121404.jpg (198.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20120617_121800.jpg (178.6 KB, 40 views)
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Weird - that's very similar to what grew out as Apple Green saved seed the last few years - has aspects of both Apple Green and the very small round variety Kermit. Not exactly sure if what you are showing is stable or a named variety. Should be good eating, in any event!
Old June 17, 2012   #5
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Weird - that's very similar to what grew out as Apple Green saved seed the last few years - has aspects of both Apple Green and the very small round variety Kermit. Not exactly sure if what you are showing is stable or a named variety. Should be good eating, in any event!

without knowing the type........ what is the best way to tell if it's ripe for eating....... I grew Louisiana long green last year......... this one I'm growing seems like it maybe smaller and rounder
Old June 17, 2012   #6
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

I just went to your post "Pics of some unusual and interesting eggplant in my garden" and looked at your cross....... man, that looks just like the one I'm growing......... I got these seeds out of one of the eggplants he grew last year...... It was very large........ about the size of a black beauty.......... so far these arent near as large........ but, I really don't know how long to leave it on the vine......... kinda new at growing eggplants.

Did you grow out the (Apple Green and what looks like Kermit) this year?

Last edited by brengolio; June 17, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old June 17, 2012   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can use it at any stage - best when still glossy and firm. All eggplant will go to golden yellow and get dull - at that point, they are great for seed saving only! In fact, you need to let them go yellow for the seed to be viable.
Old June 17, 2012   #8
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Very nice photos! my Ping Tung Long looks almost exactly like yours, perhaps a bit more purple in the veins of the leaves. The calyx has a lot of purple as well. It is still a few days from first bloom, but I'm excited to see what it looks like. Eggplant blooms are so pretty!

I'm also trying a Ratnayake eggplant this year. It is one of several seeds I ordered from Amishland before I joined this site and heard about some of the problems there. Unlike most of her "rare" items that are actually available from other sources, I haven't found a variety quite like this one anywhere else. I may not be looking in the right places, though.

It is supposed to be ivory with long purple stripes. The shape is long and thin, much like Ping Tung. If it looks like the one on her website, it is a really pretty eggplant. One of the flowers has just dropped so, hopefully, I'll have one to see soon enough.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful shots Craig! I love your hybrids as I think the contrast of purple stems and leaf veins is so pretty and ornamental. Let me know when you sell seeds lol....

I've got a few varieties growing this year too and I'm pretty excited to see what I get as I've never grown before other than Rosa Bianca; I have Long White Angel, Southern Pink, Listada di Gandia and something else I can't remember from India. Mostly hybrids.