Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 19, 2013   #1
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Default Which Tomatoes Most Attractive To Bumblebees?

Have you noticed particular cultivars of tomatoes that are highly attractive to pollinators? Which varieties?

Have you tried hand pollinating tomatoes? Were there any plants that easily released clouds of pollen when vibrated? Which varieties?

This summer I noticed two tomato plants that the bumblebees loved. Most any time I'd go into the garden there would be bumblebees hanging on flowers of those two plants. The bees mostly ignored all the other tomato varieties. The attractive cultivars were Jagodka and Nevskiy Red. Both varieties also released lots of pollen when vibrated.

I would like to convert my tomatoes into a promiscuously pollinating population so that I can more easily do mass-selection plant breeding. I have already identified two parents that can contribute to this effort. I'm wondering if there are others?

I specifically asked about bumblebees because there are high populations in my gardens, but if there are tomato varieties that really draw in a different species of pollinator I'd love to hear about those as well.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumblebee , cross pollination , crossing , jagodka , pollinators