Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2017   #586
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Someone made the comment yesterday about the strange cool weather.
I said it isn't strange this is what it is supposed to be like.
We have had early hot weather for so long we have gotten used to it.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #587
bower
Tomatovillian™

We had a lovely day yesterday. I moved the tommies back into the greenhouse to soak up some sun. But today it's raining and doesn't look like we're going above 60 F under glass. I have no plans to bring them indoors again but the forecast is no good for planting this week either. Two frost nights! and northerly winds, and rain. Temperature doesn't worry me if it's at all sunny the greenhouse will be warm as toast and hold some heat the night after, but the glum days will drive the day/night temperatures down and down. Hope we get even half an hour of rays tomorrow. I am one of those 'inland, low lying' situations.
@Oakley we are running a good two weeks behind the normal delightful island spring. A coat made of small furbearing animals would be ideal, especially if alive, friendly and well behaved and actively heating.
Thu, 25 May
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of drizzle. Fog patches. Wind north 20 km/h. High 6 except plus 2 along parts of the coast. Night Cloudy periods. Low minus 1 except minus 5 in low lying areas. Fri, 26 May A mix of sun and cloud. High plus 4. Night Rain. Low plus 1. Sat, 27 May Rain or snow. High plus 3. Night Showers. Windy. Low minus 1. Sun, 28 May A mix of sun and cloud. High plus 5.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #588
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Brrr. I'm ready. Starting to pack. At least the fishery has extended to some extra
weekends starting i think July 1st.
Let me know if you need anything hard to come by....stopping at a Nursery friday that
has over a hundred seed supplier racks. Some not even on-line. (commercial only)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #589
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oakley are you coming soon then? I heard Bonavista area is still socked in with pack ice, no more than a week ago I thought.
Brrrr indeed!
If you want any perennial herbs for your Bonavista garden, send me a PM when you're in the St. John's area. Tons of hardy stuff here in my garden, and it's soooo early spring - easy transplant time, perfect!
Old May 24, 2017   #590
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Second week in June i'm guessing....no ferry reservations yet. Finishing up a NYC project. Talk about
contrast.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #591
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter Ouch! Sorry for your loss and trouble!

Last edited by tryno12; May 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM.
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #592
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

A cool 45f this morning with bluebird skies and 80f for this afternoon. This morning will be spent fertilizing the garden and general tending the flock. If I thought it wouldn't kill them I would even sing them a few songs. I love days I don't have to work.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #593
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

it poured here again yesterday. the sky darkened in the afternoon and started pouring down and blowing sideways.. for about an hour. the storm was just circulating over us..
Old May 25, 2017   #594
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Second week in June i'm guessing....no ferry reservations yet. Finishing up a NYC project. Talk about
contrast.
I wouldn't mind a bit of contrast myself right about now.
My personal long term forecast, expect a frosty night or two in the last week of June, and then a blast of heat around the first week of July. Whether the 'summer' lasts two days or two weeks, I cannot say. But that's all I really expect of it.

So ironic, by the time I developed a tomato that can put up with this nonsense, Greenland will have finished melting, and then we'll be hot as blazes like everybody else.
Actually, all we need for some decent weather is the ol prevailing SW winds of a normal summer of yore, to blow the ice away and bring us some of the southern weather trends.
Old May 25, 2017   #595
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Our Level D3 drought took a nice hit here in SE Georgia yesterday. 2.64" of rain since Sat nite. Got a much needed soaking.
Old May 25, 2017   #596
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
This morning will be spent fertilizing the garden and general tending the flock. If I thought it wouldn't kill them I would even sing them a few songs.
You'll mind that your plants are incredibly tolerant. They have to be; they can't run away.

Animals, OTOH, will flee as fast as they can. If you get up at night and tune up the pipes in the back yard, you will keep the deer away. Beware gunfire from the neighbors, though.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #597
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
it poured here again yesterday. the sky darkened in the afternoon and started pouring down and blowing sideways.. for about an hour. the storm was just circulating over us..

Oh, I do not care for that type of weather, especially at this time of year, LOL. Not scared, but it makes me watchful.

We got between 3.42 to 5 inches the other day and it was going on past us so that was good, but it sure was heavy here at the house.

I get watchful when we get rotation and the bad cells coming through.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #598
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

same thing this morning. rotating storm counter clockwise moving SE to NW. finally it has stopped for a little bit.
Old May 25, 2017   #599
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
You'll mind that your plants are incredibly tolerant. They have to be; they can't run away.

Animals, OTOH, will flee as fast as they can. If you get up at night and tune up the pipes in the back yard, you will keep the deer away. Beware gunfire from the neighbors, though.

Nothing quite like the smell of Napalm in the morning!
Old May 25, 2017   #600
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to hear some of you who are needing rain have gotten a fair amount. It doesn't sound like it was enough to relieve the drought, but it's a start. We have had an abundance of rain this spring and everything is super green.