Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2014   #1
snagged
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie Q on Freeze on Young Plants

A couple of weeks back when the late frost hit Atlanta, I had a few young plants (4-6 inches tall, true leaves, but no suckers or blossoms) get some freeze/frost damage on top, but lived. How long should I give them to show new growth and what should I look for before I pull and replace?

I've noticed my bigger, store-bought plants with suckers seem to be coming out of the freeze ok since the suckers are taking over for the main growth. But, the younger ones seem alive, but stalled right now.

Summer's around the corner. If my plants are gonna be productive, I'd like to keep them. But, if odds are against me, I'd like to go ahead and replace sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by snagged; May 1, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #2
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

I set my plants out the third week in Feb., which is normally safe for my immediate area. Not only did we have a late frost, we had three. I ended up replacing a few plants because not only did the leaves look frostbitten, but looked like they had signs of fungus starting because of the cold damp soil. Lucky for me there are a few local nurseries that sell heirloom plants.

Donna, Texas gulf coast, zone 9
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It's going to depend if the growing bud on top was injured. If it was they'll never grow anymore. If it's still hanging out around 50° F they are going to grow very slowly.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I disagree with Doug on the point of never growing anymore. Even if the plant(s) took it on the primary top, the suckers will take over. As a former north Georgia resident, I can speak from a position of experience. Don't prune the suckers. You'll probably see a two week delay, while the plant recovers from its injuries. Exercise a lot of patience and the plants will reward you for waiting.

The suckers will become new tops and the plant will have an opportunity to progress at about double speed. One of my golden rules is "If it's in the ground and still alive and undiseased, let it rock and roll".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

I've had good success by leaving plants like this. They usually come back from the suckers. It can be slow. After two weeks, I would expect to see something by now, but it is hard to say. Pull and replant half of them ? Good luck
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #6
snagged
Tomatovillian™

To update, and for folks who look at this in the future, the warm weather seems to be doing its medicine. They've been much improved the last couple of days. The younger plants are now suckering profusely to make up for the injured parts. One or two are even throwing out suckers near the tops that were injured. We'll see how things go from here (fingers crossed). Thanks again for the help!
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #7
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

2 years ago i was trying to grow some tomatoes during our coldest months where we get down to 18-20F. The plants were about a foot tall and had tomato full of flowers on them. A cold spell frost burnt the plants to the plants they looked like goners (everything was black). So i cutt them down almost down to the ground level only to be surprised with new growth when we started to get warmer temps. The plants produced just fine and you could not tell they were the plants that had no hope. I've come to realize how hardy Tomato plants are just when you think there no hope they seem to come back strong and surprise you. Just start some new backups and give the plants that were damaged time a 2nd chance.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote