Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2006   #31
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Love Your Work

Gosh darnoodley!

Great use of the English language, Manto.

They sure are coming through nicely now and, I'll tell you what, the harvest is just so staggered.

In the slow bed, Aker's West Virginia — gosh darnoodley it's a nice plant — is setting them and the flower trusses are many. And the fall crop bed is starting to really set some beauties.

In case you're wondering what to do with the green tomatoes just make an Insalada Caprese. Oh, my, gosh darnoodley, it tasted great.

Then there is the prospect of green tomatoes, green haberneros, cucumber, green pepper and cilantro, making some kind of green salsa thing.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #32
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

GRUB..... GREAT CROP!!! And wonderful pics!!! Keep your reports comin'...My mouth's a-waterin'. Think I'm falling in love with GMG!!!!
Old February 12, 2006   #33
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

LOL. The gosh darnoodley was an automatic edit for d*mn. Must be a no-no in here
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #34
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Yeh, you're right!

I had that one come up on one of my posts, too.

Got some Livingston Favorite seeds for you Manto. Given the fruitset through the summer, I think it will do well for your. It's a dense, vigorous one.
Old February 12, 2006   #35
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Could I impose on your good graces and ask for a couple of seeds as well Grub? I've just been through this thread with mouth watering all the way. I'd love to try those Livingston's Favorites.
Old February 12, 2006   #36
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds

No probs, Ray, What's mine is yours. I also really recommend Polish. It's very productive, very tasty and very robust. I do think the big pinks would do well in Armidale.

Also, College Cropwell, part of the Aussie Seed Growout this year, has a number of fruit on it and is now setting some more. Enough, at least, for a good seed save.
Old February 12, 2006   #37
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Oh, my, gosh darnoodley, it tasted great.

Ned Flanders, is that you? 8)

Then there is the prospect of green tomatoes, green haberneros, cucumber, green pepper and cilantro, making some kind of green salsa thing.

Great pic as usual. Looks almost christmas-y.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #38
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

what a bunch of classic pics Grub -
Things are looking great grown down under ~

Unfortunately us NHers have had a major set back this weekend - 14+ inches of snow in 2 days ...
But ? spring will come just yet !!! won't it ??? lol ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2006   #39
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default More Coming

Picked another load today. Very excited because a big fat bomb of a Prue, my first, is in this lot. Some other Prue fruits are hearts

Also my first Golden Queen to compare with a similarly ripe Golden Monarch. Then there is a troica of nice round Persey, my first of these determinates about double-golf ball size.

Also picked eight from the clump of 11 fruits on the Large Big Dwarf in the ground, plus plenty of regular reds. Oh, and that's right, a nice big first Dr Neal for the year. And Victorian Dwarf is very productive in a pot. I just scoffed down a Kimberly ( or maybe it was a Russian Red) as this was taken. Nice and sweet.

This is late summer so the plants are doing very well. A little dieback and EB on the undergrowth, but that's my arm holding a Livingston's Favorite beside the plant. I suppose it (and many others) are 8ft, the height of their stakes, and climbing now.

The slow patch is now starting to take off, with fruitset on my second Earl's Faux, Box Car Willie, Mule Team, Mortgage Lifter, Akers West Virginia (I am so in love with the stocky vase-like growth habit of this darling) and more.

And in the kitchen there is plenty to choose from, which might explain my keen hunting look. That's the Prue in my hand...

But first things first. Tonight we have our first deliciously ripe Earl's Faux to tuck into.

Catch you with the next update soon.

I see my first Cherokee Purple, for this season, on the turn. And there are many of Craig's in my fall patch
Old February 18, 2006   #40
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default NICE

WOW, you're drivin' me crazy Grub! I showed the picts to my wife and she was "off like a lizard drinkin" to go pick some of our own. Then she remembered it's about 5 degrees out and the dead of winter!!

Funny story about the broad Ripple tomato... I worked for a fancy schmansy dining establishment in Broad Ripple WAY back when and we used to walk along the canal to get to work. I would always look for the yellow cherry tomatoes growing behind this lady's house and would snatch a fist full every day. Who'd a thunk it? I just assumed that it was some seed that got dropped behind her fence and it just kept re-sowing itself.

Thanks again for the glimpse of summer!!!
Old February 18, 2006   #41
Warped
Tomatovillian™

nice plants grub!

i wish i had gotten settled in after the move faster to have more plants but i guess ill have to wait until next season

my one sole little plant has about 8-10 fruit and first 3 just ripening its gone well for a small pot with no fertilising LOL

next season = expansion! and i have awhile to learn as much as i can
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #42
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Warped

Warped,
You're in the right place if you want to get into tomato growing. All the help you will ever need and some, plus seeds, are at hand here.
Cheers, Grub
Old February 18, 2006   #43
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Grub..... man, oh..man!!! WHAT a lush & verdant garden!!! Can hardly wait for your "flavor report" on Prue & Earl's Faux!!!

Lookin' gooood.....
Old February 18, 2006   #44
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

Grub,

Thanks for the photos! I'm not sure if they are helping to get me through winter here(-7F right now) or if they are making it harder to bear! Either way, please keep them coming.

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #45
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

The pictures are great Grub, looks like you’re having bumper year. That’s an amazing number of tomatoes you’re pulling out of the yard.

What were the reds in the upper left of your Insalada Caprese? Hope they were as good as they look.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote