Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 25, 2020   #61
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

This season I grew Black from Tula tomatoes for the first time. I was surprised by how much they looked and tasted like Brandywine Dark. The first two pictures are of Black from Tula and the third is Brandywine Dark. Black from Tula more consistently has dark green shoulders. But the major difference between the two varieties is that Brandywine Dark is much earlier, much more productive and the brandywine Dark plants are more vigorous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Black from Tula 2020-01-25 (1).jpeg (28.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpeg Black from Tula 2020-01-25.jpeg (28.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Black Brandywine 2 2018 12 09.jpg (62.8 KB, 177 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2020   #62
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

DISCUSSION OF BANNED MEMBERS IS NOT ALLOWED HERE - M.
----
I hope everyone's season is going well. I had the largest harvest ever in January but have been really negatively affected by the bad weather almost 3 weeks ago and the wind a couple of days ago. On the bad weather 3 weeks ago, I am just waiting on the fruits to somewhat ripen, and then will cut back or pull those plants.

Larry - how is the broccoli doing? I picked a few really nice ones late December and then again recently (those were grown in an EB) and now my originals are making the 2nd heads. I have one plant that is making 2 additional heads concurrently.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020   #63
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
----
I hope everyone's season is going well. I had the largest harvest ever in January but have been really negatively affected by the bad weather almost 3 weeks ago and the wind a couple of days ago. On the bad weather 3 weeks ago, I am just waiting on the fruits to somewhat ripen, and then will cut back or pull those plants.
Barb, do you mean the near-freeze, or the near-summer temps right before that? We covered nearly everything for the freeze and came through that OK. The hot temps, though, caused broccoli rabe to flower and some of the lettuces to bolt.

So far the only thing mostly on track are the tomatoes. It seems to be taking way longer to get fully ripe fruit than I'd expected, but these are shorter sun-days than for those growing in summer I guess. We've been getting a lot of small cherries, but those are almost done (determinates), and have been getting some of the larger ones. Dwarf Pink Passion, Neptune, Boets (or Boetz, depending on who you ask), and finally one Dwarf Purple Reign which is wide and very flat. At least some color change on the Peachy Keen, but they aren't quite peachy yet.

The wind knocked one container tomato completely over, and also I had to redo some of my bamboo supports, but not too bad.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020   #64
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Peas are working fairly well this season. I’ve grown them before without trellising and they sprawl all over the ground, so this year I trellised them. They are said to get 28” high but mine are up to 5 ½ ‘ tall. They seem to flower much better where the sun gets to them. I spaced rows 20” apart this season, next season I will try 36-40”. Also, I will be able to keep them weeded and I will fertilize them. As soon as they come out, snap beans go in, if it is not too late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Snow Peas 2020-02-12.jpeg (60.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpeg Snow Peas II 2020-02-12.jpeg (40.7 KB, 111 views)
Old February 13, 2020   #65
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Barb, Broccoli was OK this year, but I didn't try too hard. We started our 3rd crop of the season 2 weeks ago, so should have Broccoli in 7 to 8 weeks. I'm still harvesting some broccoli from 20 leftover transplants. The transplants were in 4 1/2 inch cups for 20 weeks before I planted them and they are still produced Broccoli. I still have a few of these transplants left and they have been in cups for approx 29 weeks now and I think they will still produce Broccoli.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; February 13, 2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old February 13, 2020   #66
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I also had really mature broccoli seedlings that I hadn't planted out and planted 5 of them in an EB first then a few weeks later another 5 in a trough, and I pulled some of my already headed broccoli out of the raised bed. In the EB, the heads were really nice - all done now - pulled the broccoli and sowed lettuce. The ones in the trough have small heads so far but look great - I think the ones in the raised beds are doing well also. Some of my original plants are huge now.

My mature broccoli seedlings were super root bound - actually entire roots in the deep cell -- They didn't seem any worse for the wear by planting like that.

===
The near freeze - well it wasn't going to freeze here but the 'feels like' temperature was going to be 29.

---
Larry - Are they your tomato plants or pea plants? Either way, they look great.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020   #67
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

See this thread. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...412#post753412

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2020   #68
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I feel like I've been a bad plant parent. The first round, that I started last August, were lovingly cared for and babied; those tomatoes really produced nicely, and I definitely have ones I'll grow again. The second round, started close to the holidays, got somewhat neglected because of holidays and a bout of winter illness, then the up-and-down Orlando weather took a toll. So the first round has been producing until just about now, and the second has been pretty pitiful in comparison.

I'm starting some Jochalos and Lille Lise micros to experiment with growing those indoors, probably in a sunny window and/or with lights. Some indoors, some in small pots where they'll mostly only get direct morning sun. That and some indoor lettuces/greens. Currently I'm just pleased that my earlier seed saving seems to have worked very well as I've gotten good germination on the micro seeds saved. I wish I'd saved more! Actually still getting some final ripe ones off the initial plants so I've got to get on that.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote