Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2019   #16
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I love them too! Care to share the ancestry of these F2's?
I'll share what I know. Until you asked I hadn't thought through just how convoluted their ancestry is - and I only know the ancestry of their mama. Their papa is an unnamed, striped, multicolored, unstable (I think) indeterminate I received from another breeder. I know nothing of its ancestry.

It's too complicated for me to write out, so I put together a pedigree chart. I'll attach it here. It goes back to one of the Dwarf Project lines you worked on, I believe - Rosella Purple. It is far enough back that it doesn't contribute much, but it is there. The first few in the chart with the Xs are crosses I've made. The rest came from others.

Needless to say, given all that mixture of genes, it may take a while to stabilize. (And with my luck they will burst out with multiple sets of blossoms and lose their uniqueness.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedigree.jpg (205.3 KB, 111 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the chart! I have an ocd mind when it comes to these kinds of things and love to figure out connections when possible. I have seen terminal giant blossoms on the main stem on some of the dwarf project selections in their early growth, but they will usually bush out with side branches to more fruit later.

I had a great time growing the original micro seeds that you sent me. I apologize for not getting back to post results in the thread back in 2016! The project has moved way beyond what I saved seeds for now, but the plants were so attractive that I have been planning on maybe posting pictures in the general "we need more tomato pictures" thread, because more people should be growing them on their summer balconies and decks.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #18
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for the chart! I have an ocd mind when it comes to these kinds of things and love to figure out connections when possible. I have seen terminal giant blossoms on the main stem on some of the dwarf project selections in their early growth, but they will usually bush out with side branches to more fruit later.

I had a great time growing the original micro seeds that you sent me. I apologize for not getting back to post results in the thread back in 2016! The project has moved way beyond what I saved seeds for now, but the plants were so attractive that I have been planning on maybe posting pictures in the general "we need more tomato pictures" thread, because more people should be growing them on their summer balconies and decks.
Are you still growing anything from the ones I sent you? That was back before I was smart enough to keep track of who I sent what, so I don't know what I sent.
Old February 5, 2019   #19
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Are you still growing anything from the ones I sent you? That was back before I was smart enough to keep track of who I sent what, so I don't know what I sent.
I do think we need a separate posting header in maybe the 'breed/cross talk' (?) for dfollett's micros and
reports...
My time is so limited and often can't fine a place to post quickly...minor chunks of free time at work but
no place to report easily. I've been growing non-stop since having seed. And trying to get all the pics in
one file ...eventually.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #20
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

I saved seeds from some of them, but have not grown any out besides that first year. I was hoping they would work for winter windowsill plants for me, but without supplemental artificial lights, the plants that I saved from summer and brought in, grew very lanky with long internodes and eventually developed powdery mildew, which is what happens to any tomato I try to grow inside. Our winters are just too cloudy, and with the short day length, even a large south window alone won't work for me. I'm sure they would do much better with artificial lights added.

I'm thinking of starting a few early ones to be grown on our deck this summer. I will have to go back and look at my notes to see which ones I liked best. I did keep records and have lots of pictures, just never got them finalized for posting.

You sent me seeds the first year you offered them, and this was from my midseason notes:

I am growing out multiple plants of 6 of Dan's F3 crosses:

11X-F3-1 6 plants 4 PL + 2 RL, RL's are taller.
11/12X-F3-1 4 plants all PL
13X-F3–2 5 plants, RL (one bushy w/ a few odd PL growths?)
13X-F3–7 4 plants, RL tallest of all
14X-F3–2 5 plants, RL earliest fruiting
15X-F3-3 4 plants, RL, short, but taller than 14-2, not as early.

Old February 5, 2019   #21
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I do think we need a separate posting header in maybe the 'breed/cross talk' (?) for dfollett's micros and
reports...
My time is so limited and often can't fine a place to post quickly...minor chunks of free time at work but
no place to report easily. I've been growing non-stop since having seed. And trying to get all the pics in
one file ...eventually.

This is a good idea. I discovered a folder on my back up drive where I had already reduced and labeled a lot of pictures to illustrate my grow out, plus the report that looks pretty much complete. But it would be totally out of sync to post it now on the original thread. But if I started my own new thread in a separate header, I think there might be some interesting things for others to see.

Old February 5, 2019   #22
oakley
Tomatovillian™

A post header with key wording would be easy to search and not get lost?...
like 'dfollett's sent seed for micro, dwarf, multiflora, reports'

I have started mine in sept and again in November, and potting up more now. Starting another
tray that does so well as early grows putting out (grow bags) when the weather warms.
Well ahead of indeterminates. I get a head start on smaller plants that need less room.
Thicker stems like my dwarfs. Hearty and compact unlike the leggy ones.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2019   #23
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

It apparently didn’t do any good to reintroduce the troubled young plants back into their tomato culture. They finally realized they weren’t sunflowers but ended up becoming some of the ugliest tomatoes I’ve seen.

The first photo is the current state of the first one shown in the original post. It stretched way beyond a micro – but it is multiflora….

The next two photos are the second one shown in the first post. It ended up being the ugliest tomato I’ve ever seen. It actually has a leaf/stem growing out of the bottom of the original single fruit.

The last two photos are the third from the original post. It also ended up way ugly and is the largest hollow tomato I’ve seen. They were all fused blossoms originally, so I shouldn’t have expected anything much different.

I actually did find a cousin of the three who was raised by tomatoes from the start. That one turned out more like I hoped the others would. I’ve included its photo.

This should help everyone realize the importance of being raised by your own species…..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123-1.jpg (107.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 123-2.jpg (69.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 123-2a.jpg (73.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 123-3.jpg (72.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 123-3a.jpg (68.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 123-4.jpg (54.9 KB, 65 views)
Old March 9, 2019   #24
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Well, there's nothing like seeing something with your own eyes! At least that last orange tomato looks good, I suppose those little greenies on the plant won't get to the same size as the first big one. That leaf growing out of the fused tomato is something else! Can you tell if the blossoms/baby tomatoes encircled the leaf as they grew, or does it actually originate from the tomato?

It'll be fun to see how many tomatoes are set from that multiflora influorescence in the first picture. And their final size! Lots to learn from your experiments!

Old March 9, 2019   #25
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Each one of those pictures is insane! What fantastic weirdness. You should name this variety "Fukushima".
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2019   #26
bower
Tomatovillian™

Whoaw!! Those are some fancy messed up tomaters! Love the combos of stripes, zippers, scars and tucks!

twisted:

You may get some very pretty fruit from those same plants, I wouldn't doubt it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2019   #27
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, there's nothing like seeing something with your own eyes! At least that last orange tomato looks good, I suppose those little greenies on the plant won't get to the same size as the first big one. That leaf growing out of the fused tomato is something else! Can you tell if the blossoms/baby tomatoes encircled the leaf as they grew, or does it actually originate from the tomato?

It'll be fun to see how many tomatoes are set from that multiflora influorescence in the first picture. And their final size! Lots to learn from your experiments!
That one decent looking orange one is also from a fused blossom, so the others won't get to that size. I can't tell if the leaf stem that appears to be growing from the fruit originated in the fruit or if it is a stem that is growing through a hollow fruit. Once it ripens, I'll dissect it and see.

My guess is that many of the blossoms in that first photo will not set. These are indoors with no pollinators, no wind and I don't vibrate them to pollinate. Many will, but probably not the majority.