Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 12, 2016   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Belarus Tractor Engine Powered Snowblower

The engine I intend to use for this project is an air cooled diesel, likely built in Eastern Europe. The engine was listed for sale, as a Russian Tractor Engine and that is what I used in the title, when asking if anyone could help me with information on it. Worth discovered that the engine was used in the Belarus 420A tractors. Thank you again Worth! The following link confirms that is quite likely. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...arus-420a.html
DieselEngineFor Snowblower_1.jpg
Looking closely at the engine tag, I think the engine may have been built in southeastern Ukraine. The engine tag has the name "жданова" on it, which translates to Zhdanov in English. "им.А.А." translates to Academy of Science. Zhdanov was the name used by the USSR between 1948 and 1989 for the city of Mariupol, Ukraine. Mariupol is known for its metallurgy, and heavy engineering. My guess is that this engine may have been built in Mariupol, Ukraine and used in tractors such as the Belarus 420A which were manufactured in Minsk, Belarus.

This project started in my mind several years ago. My original plan was to find a large 3 point snowblower that needed some work on it and could be bought at a reasonable price. 3 point blowblowers are made to mount on the back of farm tractors and are powered by the PTO (power take off) shaft on the back. Snow removal is accomplished by driving the tractor backward in reverse gear with the operators head looking over their shoulder behind them and their arms and legs forward to steer and control the tractor. It can be a real pain in the neck.

The original plan was to front mount a 3 point snowblower and self power it with a couple of 12 or 16 hp Kohler engines. But shortly after buying the snowblower I came across the ad for the diesel engine above and said to myself, Wow man that's it.

I will be continuing this thread over the next several weeks. In the next day or two I will be posting pictures of the snowblower and engine as they look now, before any modifications.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; November 13, 2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dutch first your welcome it took a lot of looking to find what I was looking for.
On a side note The folks in the former USSR Russia or what ever also make a BMW looking motorcycle that looks like it came out of the 40's.
I saw one in Alaska.
It is a IMZ-Ural
Here is the story behind it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9pcMpmo3K9XjKw
When I saw the similarities between the Deutz and the Belarus I was wondering if the same thing happened in some way.

Now I dont know if you know it or not but the big blowers they used where I worked at were mounted on the front of the big CAT front end loaders.
They had their own motor too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2016   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Jeez, no point in getting a service manual for this guy...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2016   #4
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to progress pics !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Pictures of the snowblower and engine, or in other words, the basic raw components.
3PointSnowblower_a.jpg3PointSnowblower_b.jpg
3PointSnowblower_c.jpg3PointSnowblower_d.jpg
AirCooledDiesel_a.jpgAirCooledDiesel_b.jpg
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Old November 14, 2016   #6
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Nice project Dutch! While in Wisconsin we took quick tour of our friends brothers dairy. We smelled like cows for hours! Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Nice project Dutch! While in Wisconsin we took quick tour of our friends brothers dairy. We smelled like cows for hours! Jimbo
For sure Jimbo! The cows here in Wisconsin have been the butt of quite a few “dairy air” jokes.
Dutch

Old November 15, 2016   #8
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, while in your great state, we met a guy named Terry. He had a large working horse he had to sell after the horse tossed his wife several feet with a mere twist of her head! The woman raised and trained horses. After the horse got agitated one day in went right thru side of barn! They sold the horse to an Amish family who were very experienced with the breed. We all went out to visit the horse on that farm. I don't think I could have put my arms half way round her neck! Terry had entertaining stories and kept us laughing all day. So much fun in Wisconsin!
Old November 15, 2016   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Cows smell good - almost as good as horses.

Dutch, I can't see how the engine will mount. It will have to be roughly axial to the PTO input, so behind the chute. But will that fit between the implement and the tractor(?). How about a side view?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Old November 15, 2016   #10
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

The Amish family we met only allowed themselves one motor so they devised ingenious ways to quick connect motor to various equipment thru the use of belts and pulleys or some such thing. Their driveways were gravel compacted somehow. No concrete or asphalt.
Old November 16, 2016   #11
loulac
Tomatovillian™

A perfect blend of Amish traditions and modernity...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amish.jpg (116.1 KB, 47 views)
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #12
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Working hosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
A perfect blend of Amish traditions and modernity...
What a scene! Magnificent horses! Don't know breed of horse in Wisconsin. Sort of blond color .wasnt Clydesdale.
Old November 17, 2016   #13
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
What a scene! Magnificent horses! Don't know breed of horse in Wisconsin. Sort of blond color .wasnt Clydesdale.
The blond mane Percheron and Belgian Draft horses are the most common working horses in Wisconsin. Below is a 2 minute clip showings a pair of “Gentle Gaints” prancing, side stepping and pulling 18,000 lbs (9 tons).

The following video is of the “National Championship Draft Horse Pull” competition held in Florida and shows the pride and love these horse owner have for them. It is common for these horse owners to take better care of their horses than themselves.

Dutch

Old November 17, 2016   #14
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Got up early one morning walked fifty yards to stand in gently rolling fields of green "basketballs " glistening in the sun. Their was water still puddling in the leaves of cabbages from the night rain! The grass along highway grows right up to the asphalt and must be mowed on regular basis ! Ancient stone silos left standing for us to enjoy! Oh Wisconsin! Yes those are same horses! Thanks Dutch
Old November 17, 2016   #15
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Only some dogs can rival these horses in their desire to do what they do.

This vid is a love song to draft horses.