Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 15, 2016   #1
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Default Whats the best way to get all the stakes out?

I found a vid of a guy using a jack with fence post. I was wondering how yous guys do it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bnEJk5guI

I have some t-posts in which I know they make a tool. I also have rebar with pex over top of them. Then I have the 2x4's ripped down the middle. So three different types on stakes in use here.

Trust me when I say they are in the ground. no amount of water will loosen them up. My long handle sledge put them down and they wont budge...

Whatcha think?
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mine is the one in the pictures. The grab hook part is for using a chain on round/other poles. Just wrap the chain around the pole and attach it to the grab hook - use the lever. We have pulled 6" wide poles with concrete on them out of the ground using this method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0027.JPG (62.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0028.JPG (67.3 KB, 104 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Oops, that tray thing in the background in the first picture will be a thread here tomorrow when I can show it in use. I have to put the second coat of paint on it today.
Old November 15, 2016   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm leaving all my supports standing over the winter, and plan to add more. I want to have everything built to support the plants before spring arrives. I keep failing to keep up with the plants when I try to build the trellises as they grow.

I've dug plenty of t-posts out with a shovel. It just takes a little patience.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #6
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I had a nice farm jack here and it made short work of them all. Granted I needed to use the chain on the wooden one's. Then the rebar needed the pipe wrench. The t-posts nothing but the farm jack.

Cole maybe next year after my new setup if I can pull it off!

Salt I will be looking for that new thread!

Worth thanks for reminding me I had the darn farm jack!

Hey while I am at it do you guys burn up all the plants at the end of the year? I also have toms and peppers all over the ground. Should i rake all of them up or just til them under?

Hey seriously... idk lol first time garden...

Ty
bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5962.jpg (610.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5965.jpg (622.9 KB, 101 views)
Old November 15, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The plants I would dispose of. I do burn ours.

The tomatoes and peppers... I like volunteers so I leave them and till them under.
Old November 15, 2016   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Mine is put away right now, but basically it's a lever type - a short span from a 2x4 to the end of another piece of 2x4 which has a piece of rope on it. Even using it, there always seems to be one that doesn't want to turn loose. For that one (actually those), I bring the hose and put the setting maximum small stream. I use this to dig around the base of the stake. Then the lever action works well enough. It always works then, even on metal stakes that are "concreted" in place by dried out garden soil which has been more prevalent this year than any other year.

The draught is horrible here. Norris Lake is lower than I have ever seen it. Can't launch the boat any more. All the launches are dry to the end of the concrete ramps. The soil in my garden is cracker box dry and hard as concrete. I haven't had any rain since sometime back in July. I keep the bird bath full for my feathered buddies. Lots of critters are coming out of the woods looking for water and food. I've seen more possums, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, deer, coyotes, and the occasional bear in my front yard than all the previous 8 years combined.

Even the birds are hurting. Haven't seen many flocks of starlings or blackbirds moving south. The fires around here keep the air pretty smoked up. I'm in no danger here, but many of my neighbors are sweating this one out. We've bush hogged a lot of brush around a lot of homes and have hoses set up for immediate use. Our whole world here smells like a campfire.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #9
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Very sorry to hear that Ted. Hope you get good rains soon!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ted, it's so dry where you're at that they are talking about it on the news here in Texas. Accuweather talks about daily too.
Old November 16, 2016   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind words. This soil will grow anything and do it quickly, but it is so dry that Governor Haslam has a burn ban in place till December 15th. No one can remember when that kind of ban was ever put in place.

I've lost a lot of the grass in the yard - about 30%. On a positive note, I haven't had to mow the grass nor break out the weed eater. And, I've been out at the lake walking along the edges and have found a lot of stuff people drop off boats - glasses, hemostats, tools, boat motors, anchors, rods and reels, and a bunch of artificial lures that don't float. I'll be going out to some of the marinas with my metal detector and see what has fallen off the walkways. It gets me out of the house.

They're saying we have "a chance of a shower or two Friday or Saturday, but it will be hit of miss". The long range forecast doesn't have any hope in it, either. The county takes water from Norris Lake for our drinking water. I've heard that the intake pipes are only about a half dozen feet from being exposed. That would shut down three or four entire counties.

My apologies to the folks in the coastal areas, but we need something on the scale of a hurricane to park here for a week or so.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Years ago I was around 16 and some guy was below the dam at the spillway after huge floods in the Mississippi valley.
all the rivers were backed up and no water could come out of the lakes.
There was an older guy with a huge magnet on a rope dipping it in the water.
What are you looking for I asked.
Sinkers he said.
How many have you found so far?
None.
You wont, you cant pick up lead with a magnet.
Really your kidding me.
Nope here is one give it a try.
He did and was shocked.
How on earth did someone in their late teens early twenties get that far along not knowing you cant pick up lead with a magnet.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #13
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Drought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Thanks for the kind words. This soil will grow anything and do it quickly, but it is so dry that Governor Haslam has a burn ban in place till December 15th. No one can remember when that kind of ban was ever put in place.

I've lost a lot of the grass in the yard - about 30%. On a positive note, I haven't had to mow the grass nor break out the weed eater. And, I've been out at the lake walking along the edges and have found a lot of stuff people drop off boats - glasses, hemostats, tools, boat motors, anchors, rods and reels, and a bunch of artificial lures that don't float. I'll be going out to some of the marinas with my metal detector and see what has fallen off the walkways. It gets me out of the house.

They're saying we have "a chance of a shower or two Friday or Saturday, but it will be hit of miss". The long range forecast doesn't have any hope in it, either. The county takes water from Norris Lake for our drinking water. I've heard that the intake pipes are only about a half dozen feet from being exposed. That would shut down three or four entire counties.

My apologies to the folks in the coastal areas, but we need something on the scale of a hurricane to park here for a week or so.
Ted, I tried detecting here when lake was down. There was so much junk I gave up . Amazing how much stuff is lossed or thrown in water! Some people had luck though! Getting out of house is a good thing. Hope you find something great and at least get huge tropical storm!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #14
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Mine is the one in the pictures. The grab hook part is for using a chain on round/other poles. Just wrap the chain around the pole and attach it to the grab hook - use the lever. We have pulled 6" wide poles with concrete on them out of the ground using this method.
Who made that puller Salt? It looks heavy duty...

Last edited by MrSalvage; November 16, 2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old November 16, 2016   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had to go look. The label gave all kinds of info including a 1-800 phone number. It is a Priefert T-post puller https://www.priefert.com/products/fe...t-post-pullers Mt. Pleasant, Texas. It was made on 6-10-2004. Made in USA

It is very easy to use.