Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 18, 2014   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaLola View Post
Hi, new to this forum. I hope it's ok for me to post here since the previous post was
October 2013. Hope it's not too old to discuss ...

I was looking at these seeds company. My grandfather was born in Ukraine so I have interests in it. He said that he had such delicious vegetables and fruits growing up near Black Sea. Especially tomatoes and watermelons.

I was able to find Ukrainian tomatoes elsewhere and have planted. However I am interested in this Nikitovka seeds - in particular the "Cranberry Sugar - Klyukva Sakhare"
https://www.nikitovka.com/201412/19/...to-detail.html

I believe the above is the link to them.
I'd prefer not to ship from Europe as it seems it may increase the possibility of damage or lost package. ???

Can someone give me advice on this? Or perhaps tell me what a similar variety of tomato is to these? As for this particular seed, is it easy to order from Nikitovka?

Thanks for any comments.
I looked through the tomato section, and there were many that were not Russian in origin.

My suggestion is to go to Tania's wonderful data website and check it out. She and her family moved here from the Ukraine and she lists many from the former USSR, now the CIS.

First, a link to her Home page and click on shortcuts at the top and see all the ways you can locate tomato varieties. I prefer the alphabetical way when I know the name of the variety.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page

Next, a link from her page for ones that are from the CIS, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, etc.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ssian_Tomatoes

She features over 4, 000 pages of varieties and on each page you'll usually find comments by others, pictures and seed sources when available.

She still has relatives in the Ukraine and gets some seeds from her mother and from other sites in the larger Russian area that sell seeds.

She prefers that folks use the original Russian names, but sometimes lists the same variety with its English translation, so be sure to check both.

I didn't check to see if she had the specific one you were looking at but there are hundreds of others that might interest you.

And yes, I think a couple of folks have linked to the same seed site you posted about because I recognized it right away

Finally, while I gave you the link to her Homepage if you look in the Plant and Seed source Forum, where you just started this thread, you'll see her very long thread as well, as a stikey, and she posts updates there quite frequently.

Carolyn

Editing to add that I didn't realize that this thread was started with a post about this seed company and I read them any comments, especially from Andrey in Belarus, and would even more strongly suggest you go to Tania's website. Someone who posted earlier in this thread said they were ALL Russian, but that's certainly NOT what I saw when I just looked at it.
Old February 18, 2014   #17
LinaLola
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
LinaLola - I have purchased from their Ebay store, which you can easily find under the same name. 'Klyukva Sakhare' is currently growing under a lamp, I hope to re-pot it in a month, so I have some micro tomato plants before my indeteminates will be sown.
Don't know if the variety is true, but the transaction was fast and hassle-free.
I found her to be very helpful and friendly!
Thank you.
I am not looking exclusively for Russian varieties
Although it would be neat to have a few. I think that those Klyukva Sakhare just
look quite interesting.

Carolyn137:

Thanks so much for all the information. I appreciate it. I will take a look at them thoroughly later today.
LinaLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #18
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have also ordered from them, and the transaction was simple and painless. The seeds arrived in good condition. I look forward to growing the varieties out this season.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

The right name is Klyukva v sakhare (Sugar covered cranberry).
This is a Russian commercial variety with quite attractive look.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
The right name is Klyukva v sakhare (Sugar covered cranberry).
This is a Russian commercial variety with quite attractive look.
Slightly OT, but some time ago I mentioned to my mom I had a 'sugared cranberry' growing indoors. In a moment of confusion, she understood that literally and was concerned I was already so far gone in my gardening passion that I was growing a cranberry plant ... They are in fact available in nurseries (along with wild lingonberries, cloudberries and other forest berries), but very tricky to look after. The peat moss has the be exactly right for the plant to thrive. A 'sugared cranberry' tomato hopefully is much easier to keep alive!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #21
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Any updates on if seeds purchased from Nikitovka grew true ? I like the selection of Russian and/or Ukrainian sweet peppers.

Just looking for any feedback after your grow outs.

Thanks,

Mark
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #22
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A lot of those so-called "Rare Russian" varieties look a whole lot like varieties that I've seen over the past 6 weeks on American sites which had different American names for them. To me, this would indicate deception by at least one of them. The prices are exceptionally good, but I'd not trust the variety to grow true. But, the price says you can have some fun for a little bit of pocket change.

Andrey_B said it all in his post. "Be careful" !!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #23
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
A lot of those so-called "Rare Russian" varieties look a whole lot like varieties that I've seen over the past 6 weeks on American sites which had different American names for them. To me, this would indicate deception by at least one of them. The prices are exceptionally good, but I'd not trust the variety to grow true. But, the price says you can have some fun for a little bit of pocket change.

Thanks Ted, I think I will pass for the time being, too may good sites to support. When I run out of peppers to try, I'll come back.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #24
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Of course, I had to look even though my garden will be absolutely stuffed
with plants this summer. Looking on the Nov. site, a white tomato called "tomato Belyy Gigant"; the hand in the photo reminded me of how an American
vendor poses photos. If you look at "white" tomatoes at Amishlandseeds,
you'll see the identical photo; the photo is absolutely identical. The tomato at
Amishland is called Oliver's German White/Weisse tomato.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

A couple of years ago Clara had referred me to a site in Estonia, i think I still have the link, and had trouble translating the Russian and Estonian, but could understand the color,height and someother traits of each variety and Clara helped since she is fluent in Russian and several other languages as far as that goes.

I made choices,lots of them, and Clara ordered them sent to her and then sent to me and many of them will be in my next seed offer.

But something happened with that site, I don't remember what, and no more orders,I have the link and could still check,so it was suggested I go to Nikitovka seeds, and I did, but very few varieties and I left.

I found the link in my faves and just went thru all the early and midseason ones, I think only 4 were late ones. And LOTS more varieties than I'd seen before

Yes, the spelling of many are different from what I saw at the Estonia place, but I could understand them,and yes,many I have grown and was at sea viz the spellings, and for sure Druzba is not a yellow fruited variety.

Spellings are different very often for the same variety due to the differences seen as sourced to Russia or Ukraine or even belarus, as Andrey has pointed out to me in the past.

Do they do all their own seed production, I didn't check or are they what are called seed repack places where they buy in bulk from commercial places and just put the seed in their packs. I'm leaning that way since it';s not just individual packs that they sell but bulk amounts as well.

And Tania and Andrey and Alex and Clara have warned me that there are both Russian and Ukranian seed sources that you just cannot trust and yes,I ran into that big timewith a variety called Flamingo

Yes, the prices are low,and yes, lots of varieties to be had cheaply, but I'm one who wants to know exactly what I have, and maybe the Estonian place but forsure the ones I get from Reinhard Kraft in Germany in trade since we've been trading for almost 20 years now.

And at his site Manfred Hahm offers LOTS of seeds for sale and Manfred is very good with English.

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2016   #26
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered several varieties and also asked for clarifications for some - and from some pictures that she sent me, I gathered they do their own seed production at least at some scale.

The varieties that have grown true have been at least Black Pear (Hrusha Chorna) and Tarasenko Rozhevyi, AND I'v grown some flowers and radishes from her seeds.
Will try some different ones next year - Dikaya Roza being one of them.
Old January 17, 2016   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I have ordered several varieties and also asked for clarifications for some - and from some pictures that she sent me, I gathered they do their own seed production at least at some scale.

The varieties that have grown true have been at least Black Pear (Hrusha Chorna) and Tarasenko Rozhevyi, AND I'v grown some flowers and radishes from her seeds.
Will try some different ones next year - Dikaya Roza being one of them.
I think Dikaya Roza is outstanding, here's Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dikaya_Roza

Also known as WildRose, and it may surprise you to find that it was bred in Moldova.

It's one of the ones I got from that Estonian site and will be in my upcoming seed offer. Just had to check if my memory was OK and yes, Shoe did send back seeds. Not that many so it and several other will be starred as limited quantities as opposed to most of the ones I list have LOTS of seeds.

So if you wait a bit, and since you are not in the US you can e-mail your 6 wants from my list and I used to pay the postage back and I'm sure that Shawn, who is taking over the hard part of my offer will do the same. I can't remember if you've participated in my seed offers before, but all the directions for US and nonUS members are described with my seed offers.

Carolyn
Old January 17, 2016   #28
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, I don't think I'm going to participate in more seed offers - already have too many varieties. It is a challenge to make a grow-to list that stays within reason.

Dikya Roza, yes, I have some seeds that I ordered from Nikitovka and I hope they'll grow true to what they are supposed to be. This year 2016 is going to be a 'pink' year for me - in regards to the main color. Last year, I focused heavily on orange and yellow varieties, so now it's going to be anything rose, purple, pink and so on.
Old January 17, 2016   #29
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The seeds I got from Nikitovka were not always correct. I ordered Goldkrone for one, and it turned out to be a medium sized yellow beefsteak.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #30
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
The seeds I got from Nikitovka were not always correct. I ordered Goldkrone for one, and it turned out to be a medium sized yellow beefsteak.
I suggest you let her know about the problem. Or was it just one seed/plant?