Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 11, 2006   #1
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Default What can cause this......

Howdy, I have thirteen plants, all a different variety. They are all loaded with fruit and doing well. However, in the course of just one day, my Chianti Rose and Soldacki have been dropping blossoms that have already set! It had been quite warm and then suddenly dropped about 30 degrees for a day. Could that be the cause for set blossoms to drop? I know that temperature extremes can cause blossom drop in general, but to blossoms that have already set? Very disturbing. The blossom stem turns yellow and..........down for the count. The other varieties, all open pollinated types too, have been unaffected. It's interesting to note that both Chianti Rose and Soldacki are potato leaf. My other potato leaf, Matina, is fine.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #2
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Kctomato, they are not next to each other and they haven't been adversely effected by winds. Once those blossom stems turn yellow I know it's curtains. I just touch the blossom and down she goes. I'm hoping it's just a result of the rapid change in temperature that occurred the other night. Otherwise the plants look great.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote