Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 15, 2014   #1
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Default Supporting plants in containers

The last couple of years I had used string and clips for supporting my tomatoes and peppers in containers but even though it worked well I thought it could be improved.

I had been working on some triangle cages for my raised bed made out of cattle panel and they are a success.

While doing those I came up with a solution for containers using cattle panel that is pretty easy and extremely sturdy.

Here are some photos. I also put one in of my triangle cages.

The container supports are just two halves of a 16ft x50inch cattle panel. I used halves that did not have part of a spike on them. I used those for the triangle cages.

As you can see I drove 4-40 inch pieces of 3/4 inch EMT into the ground, slipped the sections over them in a way that locks them in, and ty wrapped them together at the top. The total height is about 6 and a half feet from the top of the container up. I was surprised just how strong this setup is and it can be taken down at the end of the season if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000320.JPG (208.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg P1000321.JPG (319.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg P1000322.JPG (354.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg P1000323.JPG (187.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg P1000324.JPG (332.5 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Jaysan; May 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #2
Rachel W
Tomatovillian™

That looks awesome! So creative. I'm hardening off my tomatoes right now but i do have several I'm going to put into containers. I would love to do that but it might have to wait till next year. Great job!
Rachel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #3
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Rachel.

About the only drawback is working with the cattle panel. Even with a small pickup to get it home I have to cut it in half with bolt cutters at the Tractor Supply before I can even think about loading it. It has to be cut anyway so it works out.

You should have seen the puzzled faces of the guys that were going to load it before I told them I was going to cut it in half!

But it sure is heavy duty. It should hold up any tomato even if the plant grows up and over as I know those Sun Golds will. And since the EMT anchors it so well I can't see any normal wind having a chance at blowing them over.
Old May 15, 2014   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I considered panels...but the cost is kind of prohibitive (depending on how many plants). I ended up using 8' T posts and 4'x8' concrete reinforcement wire (6"). Working good...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #5
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I thought about it too. From what I looked at the holes in the concrete wire were smaller and I didn't want to deal with the rust either. This seems much stronger and stiffer for this application and should last me my lifetime. To me those things made it worth the extra cost.

At 10 bucks per plant I thought it was a lot more cost effective than say a Texas Tomato cage at 28 dollars each, wheeeewwww. I know they are nice but.......