Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 14, 2016   #1
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Default Bottom leaves brown and crisp; thrips?

I often have this problem on bottom leaves ,used to think it was normal senescence until a few plants died, seem to recall it's mites or thrips or some other sucking insect.

I sprayed with neem. I don't usually spray, but last year for the first time I had fungus on my peppers, and folks said I should spray BEFORE the fungus if I wanted neem to work.

This does not seem fungal, but I'm not sure WHAT it is. These plants are begining to bear fruit, are in self watering containers, and it is very hot and dry here.

Here are some pictures. Overall the plants look good. They are real...and they're SPECTACULAR! Dwarfs in self watering containers.

Can you see that little guy? Reminds me of a grasshopper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160613_123744062_TOP.jpg (374.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160613_123225484.jpg (400.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160613_123051537.jpg (364.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160609_182912557.jpg (498.9 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 14, 2016 at 04:42 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.backyardnature.net/aphid_lc.htm

Do they look like anything in link?
That cute little feller is posing and thanking you for you sharing the harvest.
Our thrips here are black long slender so as to hide and feed in the plant blossoms.
Neem will bake plant in the sun.
Clip all dead leaves.Bag seal remove all clippings into garbage bin.

Wash/soak plant with favorite(Safer,Montery Take Down)Eco friendly pesticide,leave on for about ten minutes.
Wash/rinse with some pressure to blow off the critters(dead and alive).
A area spray around plant will control the flying and or crawling of the survivors.
Drench underneath the plant(soil)to nuke the larvaes(substrate dwelling critters.
Monitor next morning,repeat if necessary up to recommended treatments on product label.
Remember if it has wings check your other growths.

Last edited by kurt; June 14, 2016 at 08:14 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #3
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Okay, thanks!

I made sure it was less than 80, and would stay that way when I sprayed the neem oil. I was spraying as a preventive based on recommendations on Gardenweb last year, rather than for thrips in particular. Safer used to be my favorite, but I was pretty impressed with neem last year. And I've use Monterey bug spray with spinocide on my stone fruit with great results.

I realize that guy isn't a thrip...Maybe it's some stage of aphid! There may be aphids mummies on the close up with him and the leaf. Could this be aphid damage? No other signs of aphids, just a spattering of whitefly. Nothing with wings.

To be honest, this is the best my plants have looked in years, and that's why I am wanting to stay on top of it. I usually have mites by now.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 14, 2016 at 03:56 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote