Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 12, 2017   #1
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Pouch and ProMix BX question?

I have a few Root Pouch brand 15 gallon bags that I want to give a try for tomatoes. I also have a leftover bale of ProMmix BF 3.8 cf i want to use.

Before I had a real garden and used the plastic grow bags or other containers I just used ProMix or other mix straight. But I am wondering if the additional aeration from the porous pouch do I need to "heavy" up the mix a bit to hold more water?

I would also like to extend the mix some if possible? If I had compost leftover I would throw that in but used what I had available in the garden.

I was thinking of using 2/3-3/4 Promix and the rest of something else if I could find a cheap alternative?

Any ideas? And thanks!
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #2
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour_man View Post
I have a few Root Pouch brand 15 gallon bags that I want to give a try for tomatoes. I also have a leftover bale of ProMmix BF 3.8 cf i want to use.

Before I had a real garden and used the plastic grow bags or other containers I just used ProMix or other mix straight. But I am wondering if the additional aeration from the porous pouch do I need to "heavy" up the mix a bit to hold more water?

I would also like to extend the mix some if possible? If I had compost leftover I would throw that in but used what I had available in the garden.

I was thinking of using 2/3-3/4 Promix and the rest of something else if I could find a cheap alternative?

Any ideas? And thanks!
You are on the right track, Promix would be too light by itself and dry out incredibly fast in Root pouches. Experienced this myself year before last. Some high quality compost would be a good additive imo. Also mulch is a necessity where im at in CA.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote