Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 8, 2006   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Has anyone used Serenade?

I have not talked with anyone that has used Serenade, but am interested if it is effective. If you have used it, pls post your experience.
Old February 8, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

I know quite a few folks who have used Serenade and Messenger and Spinosad, but they aren't MY first hand observations at all, so I'll sit back and watch and wait to see what's posted.

And perhaps we can get ALL the disease related topics into the Disease Forum in the future, which is really the only reason I'm mentioning this, and that's for anyone reading here who wishes to start a new topic related to tomato disease.

Thanks for understanding.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Voila - thread moved to the Diseases forum.

Now don't let me interrupt any of you...carry on :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Carolyn-Thanks for reminding me about this-absolutely right, should be in the diseases forum.
Old February 21, 2006   #5
alkalidenny
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
Sorry It took me so long to respond to this post. I have used serenade and didn't think it worked. I had lots of fungal disease in last years cool wet spring and the serenade didn't seem to help. I had to break out the chlorothanil to get things under control. I felt there was some benefit to messenger and plan on trying it again. I am a big fan of spinosad and think it is a very good tool for aphids and thrips.
Denny
alkalidenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Alka-I just got my Serenade and will try it out. We dont have much in the way of fungal disease here, only early blight, but in the glasshouse, I get some because of the high humidity and cooler days.
Old April 15, 2006   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Anyone used Serenade

Denny-I have been using it in the greenhouse every 2 weeks and my plants have little or no early blight which is the only real disease I get. So I am going to continue using it, probably alternating with Soap Shield that I have from Gardens Alive.
Old May 9, 2006   #8
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

I will attempt a trial of Serenade and Daconil.

Last year I got off my spray regime and the blight got a good hold on plants....fortunately the plants mostly outgrew the blight; though last fruit was ruined.

I think I can take a change on Serenade. So...I will spay some plants with Daconil and some with Serenade, exclusively. If blight is greatly worse on the Serenade-sprayed plants I will go to all Daconil, but I'll give the Serenade a good trial first.
Old May 9, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So...I will spay some plants

Good for you Tree, that'll teach 'em to behave.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
Old May 9, 2006   #10
Delora
Tomatovillian™

I tried using Green Guard last year (one of the harpin products) along with Serenade. GG was sprayed first, and Serenade about 2 weeks later. A couple days after spraying, all the tomato foliage that had been sprayed with both shrunk up on me and turned crunchy. The plants put out new growth and were fine, but I discontinued both products after that and only sprayed with daconil for the rest of the season.

I don't know why I had such a reaction (sprays were mixed following package directions), so spray with caution.

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006   #11
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Oh gosh darnoodley,

Spaying isn't a good idea........ Hmmph.

Delora, but how well did the products combat Disease Problems? heehee

Maybe I should do a limited trial of the Serenade....like...on 10 plants, or so? ( I was going to spray a couple rows with Serenade, originally-50 plants)
Old May 12, 2006   #12
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catntree
Oh gosh darnoodley,

Spaying isn't a good idea........ Hmmph.

Delora, but how well did the products combat Disease Problems? heehee

Maybe I should do a limited trial of the Serenade....like...on 10 plants, or so? ( I was going to spray a couple rows with Serenade, originally-50 plants)
Ok, the funniest part is that my plants actually produced until the last hard frost in Nov, lol. Usually they're killed off by disease by the beginning of Sept. I can't attribute that to the single application of Serenade/GG I used, but it was interesting.

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2006   #13
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Is "Serenade Solutions Biofungicide" sold by Gardens Alive the same as "Serenade Garden Disease Control" in the red container? The Gardens Alive site does not show a picture of the container and I don't know which Serenade to get (if any). Which one is this thread about?
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #14
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I used Serenade - the powder mixable version from Garden's Alive last year - along with Messenger last year, and they worked great to avoid foliage disease and in general keep the tomato plants disease free. They worked well throughout the season; after I stopped them in early October right when the season started winding down, I started getting various foliage diseases (early blight, e.g.).

This year, I'm using Serenade Garden, which is the liquid concentrate version, which I ordered from a different catalog. I believe it's supposed to work the same way, but this version of it is much easier to use than the powder.

By the way, Green Guard from Garden's Alive is the exact same product as Messenger, from Eden Biosciences. You can save a bundle by ordering it direct from the manufacturer (go to messenger.info) or from any of the other catalogues that offer it (such as Gardener's Supply Catalog). Garden's Alive version costs double what it costs under the Messenger label.

Robbin 8)
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #15
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Serenade on my tomatoes and on my roses this year and last. It seems to work well when conditions aren't terrible for disease, but I've ended up using a chemical fungicide as well occasionally so far. On the tomatoes this season, I had one plant that was definitely getting some sort of foliage disease, with dark damp-looking shrivelled areas on the leaves (Looks like late blight photos I've seen, but from what I've read, it's much more likely to be botrytis since they didn't just completely turn into masses of slime, and I've definitely had botrytis on the roses.) I did pull out the Daconil to stop whatever it is, and it seems to be OK now. The others (12) are all spotless and healthy, and the roses look good, despite a lot of early fungus from a rainy spring. So, overall, I'd say it's OK, but not flawless.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote