Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 27, 2016   #1
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Default Where is that link for all the insects?

I was reading a thread and someone posted a great link to pictures of all sort of insects. Well I can't find that thread or post. I have searched all over.

Can you help me out? I found a bug that looks like the alien from Dreamcatcher. Aka Dudits nemis. lol

Our bug had a crazy split tail on it & something has been eating the heck out of our transplants.

Ty
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #2
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Never mind, i found it...

http://garden.org/pestlibrary/bugs.php

Here are the little monsters...

Earwigs

http://garden.org/pestlibrary/bugs.php?q=show&id=1605

These guys have torn up my transplants. Had we not moved the marigolds this morning we would still be trying to figure out what is so hungry...

Now whats the best way to get rid of them? Maybe Bills way would take care of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I also had a big stink bug and leaf footed bug problem last year and got rid of them rather quickly and very few returned. I mixed about 2/3 cup of diatomaceous earth food grade in a gallon of water and strained it into my sprayer. I then added a good dose of Permethrin and a Tbsp of Dawn dishwashing liquid. I kept shaking it every minute or so to keep the DE suspended and sprayed my tomatoes and peppers with it late in the evening or really early in the morning at daylight. It also had the added benefit of getting rid of most of my aphids and whiteflies and I never saw spider mites last season. The DE keeps on killing long after the immediate affect of the Permethrin is gone but a heavy rain will wash it off. I had to reapply it one more time. If you are worried about using the Permethrin which is a good knock down poison with out much residual poisoning effect then you could try using just the DE and soapy water which would probably have to be applied more often in order to kill the larger stink bugs and leaf footed bugs which are both susceptible to the Permethrin in higher doses.

I recommend using a heavy layer of cypress mulch which does a great job of keeping the soil cool and moist for much longer than any other mulch I have tried in 40 years of gardening in the south. The mulch will improve your fruit set by keeping the moisture more even for longer which results in less blossom drop in our heat.

Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad you found the link. I remembered seeing it, but couldn't remember where it was posted.

Your description sounded like earwigs. I agree. Nasty critters they are.

I'd give Bills's treatment a try. Don't think there is to much he hasn't seen or had to deal with.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote