Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 8, 2016   #1
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Default method to "Take" Nuisance Animals Legally

Illegal to relocate in NYState.
"Take" or "taking" means to pursue, shoot, hunt, kill, capture, trap, snare or net wildlife and game-or perform acts that disturb or worry wildlife. Taking an animal is only suggested if other best practices do not help alleviate the problem.

I've never had a destructive problem but a family of chipmunks dug a beer can size hole next to every tomato plant last week. They went after the 'food' i put in the planting holes...i plant at an angle towards the center of the bed. Only 3 plants were destroyed by the digging.
The second bed i planted a few days ago i just mixed some food into the soil before planting...
Just ordered a couple Have-a-Heart traps. They never bothered the TomatoTone but i used something new. (don't have the bag here).
The new pup caught one, and a few field mice so they need to go as well.

We have lots of snakes, turtles the size of basketballs, and every other critter large and small that seemed to be in control by snacking on each other for years...seems we are out of balance this year.
I left them a bowl of the 'food' (actually should have left GardenTone as well to see if the new food was the desired flavor)
We have a tall fence for the deer and some bunny fencing. Bears ripped bird feeders out of the tree and destroyed yrs ago. Found a snake nest by accident so they are still around and huge ones...2-3 footers.

I guess it is war on the chipmunks and field mice, ugh.

And no, i don't need beer holders next to every plant...though the soil is a bit chilly still
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have cats for chipmunks, squirrels, mice and voles... that works pretty well.
Old June 8, 2016   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Illegal to relocate in NYState.
"Take" or "taking" means to pursue, shoot, hunt, kill, capture, trap, snare or net wildlife and game-or perform acts that disturb or worry wildlife. Taking an animal is only suggested if other best practices do not help alleviate the problem.

I've never had a destructive problem but a family of chipmunks dug a beer can size hole next to every tomato plant last week. They went after the 'food' i put in the planting holes...i plant at an angle towards the center of the bed. Only 3 plants were destroyed by the digging.
The second bed i planted a few days ago i just mixed some food into the soil before planting...
Just ordered a couple Have-a-Heart traps. They never bothered the TomatoTone but i used something new. (don't have the bag here).
The new pup caught one, and a few field mice so they need to go as well.

We have lots of snakes, turtles the size of basketballs, and every other critter large and small that seemed to be in control by snacking on each other for years...seems we are out of balance this year.
I left them a bowl of the 'food' (actually should have left GardenTone as well to see if the new food was the desired flavor)
We have a tall fence for the deer and some bunny fencing. Bears ripped bird feeders out of the tree and destroyed yrs ago. Found a snake nest by accident so they are still around and huge ones...2-3 footers.

I guess it is war on the chipmunks and field mice, ugh.

And no, i don't need beer holders next to every plant...though the soil is a bit chilly still
Jack Russell Terrier
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I welcome my friends Jack Russels any weekend they want to visit.

My pups are good hunters.

Last weekend....

Pup #one- two field mice, two bunnies
Auxiliary pup #two- two bunnies, one chipmunk.

Traps- three barn mice, no garden critters at all (need to research trap food)

The winner- the porcupine.
Pups spent yesterday in the emergency vet hospital...muzzles full of tiny inch long quills and some imbedded in their gums and had to be cut out.
(they are hung-over today)
Old June 14, 2016   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh, poor pups! Who would of thought that they would find one of those? I have never seen a porcupine in the wild.
I hope that it does not deter their hunting adventures.

It was an expensive critter and isn't even gone.........
Old June 14, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Porcupines are good eating too and they come with their own tooth picks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Rare as they do keep to themselves. We do seem to have every critter.

Porcupines never seem to want to use their defenses unless provoked. (i read everything possible on-line info between calls to vets and finding the best place to take them...)

20 yrs on the farm we have never seen one. I did witness a friends pup full of quills once but they were large and just a few pulled with plyers. They were also constantly skunked. So we have that 'skunk mix' always ready. (vinegar, baking soda). Only one mild skunk pup a few yrs ago. Easy fix compared to a porcupine.

I think #2 pup is a bit more aggressive and digs critter dens a bit better than the past few pups we have had. We have cliffs and rock walls built years ago by those clearing field for cattle.
Might need a bigger trap than the two we have. (what the heck do they eat?)

I've read dogs never learn from past exposure as their drive trumps the horrid outcome like skunk and quills.
Old June 14, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Oh, poor pups! Who would of thought that they would find one of those? I have never seen a porcupine in the wild.
I hope that it does not deter their hunting adventures.

It was an expensive critter and isn't even gone.........
I once took some ole boys that were from Tennessee to central Texas to go fishing from west Texas.
Neither one had ever seen any part of Texas but west Texas.
It was at night and a 6 hour drive in the dark.
They had just smoked weed.
Both city boys.
About every 15 minutes they would jump up in shock and yell, "What was that?"
Armadillo.
Porcupine.
Mule deer.
Rattlesnake.
Owl.
Ring tail.
Coyote.
Badger.
Pack Rat.