Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2022   #1
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purple tips?

I have been growing Cherokee purples in my Earthboxes for many years. But, the yields I got last year were disappointing and the plants were acting funny. I got about a dozen tomatoes that were earlier than all the other varieties, which is very unusual. They were large and oddly shaped with lots of ridges. The plant continued to grow, but no more flowers. This is in July. The tomatoes tasted just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this phenomenon? I didn't plant any this year... first time in as long as I can remember. Black Krims taste similar and are much more reliable.

I don't have the facilities to grow tomatoes from seed. I purchase plants from two garden centers.

Last edited by Balr14; May 20, 2022 at 05:34 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well I have Many Cherokee Tomato Plants, and If I cannot find room for them; I can sent you some if you want them. With this Climate Change, I feel sorry for anyone Farmers or Gardener who are losing their plants to unexpected Weather patterns. Especially those who are dealing with "snow". I can only pray and hope they did what I did this year. I planted half and keep half in pots, until the weather became normal.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #3
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Well I have Many Cherokee Tomato Plants, and If I cannot find room for them; I can sent you some if you want them. With this Climate Change, I feel sorry for anyone Farmers or Gardener who are losing their plants to unexpected Weather patterns. Especially those who are dealing with "snow". I can only pray and hope they did what I did this year. I planted half and keep half in pots, until the weather became normal.
I appreciate the offer. So, you feel my problem was weather related? That's entirely possible. I had similar problems with my pepper plants. Last year, the last part of May and first couple weeks of June were just awful, cold and rainy, then real hot, then cold again.
Old May 20, 2022   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think the variety you bought was not real Cherokee purple. There are a lot of meh tomatoes that are not as good as the original floating around with the name Cherokee purple. Try a different supplier. Best bet truly is to get some good seeds from a reliable source and start a few plants it’s not very hard and you might enjoy it
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2022   #5
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I think the variety you bought was not real Cherokee purple. There are a lot of meh tomatoes that are not as good as the original floating around with the name Cherokee purple. Try a different supplier. Best bet truly is to get some good seeds from a reliable source and start a few plants it’s not very hard and you might enjoy it
KarenO
I suspect you may be right. I made the mistake of not keeping track of where I got my plants from last year.
Old June 12, 2022   #6
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

For me in Charlotte, they busy out a whole bunch early on, the best they have to offer. Then even when they look sickly late in the season, they'll produce a few small ones. Still tastier than anything late in the season.
Strong resilient plant for me. Not as many as hybrids of course but ...
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2022   #7
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I have been growing Cherokee purples in my Earthboxes for many years. But, the yields I got last year were disappointing and the plants were acting funny. I got about a dozen tomatoes that were earlier than all the other varieties, which is very unusual. They were large and oddly shaped with lots of ridges. The plant continued to grow, but no more flowers. This is in July. The tomatoes tasted just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this phenomenon? I didn't plant any this year... first time in as long as I can remember. Black Krims taste similar and are much more reliable.

I don't have the facilities to grow tomatoes from seed. I purchase plants from two garden centers.
This is the same results I had trying to grow Heirloom Tomatoes in my Greenhouse last winter. I am working on a Greenhouse that can support them gown in the natural ground "not Earthbox or Large Pots.
Old June 16, 2022   #8
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
This is the same results I had trying to grow Heirloom Tomatoes in my Greenhouse last winter. I am working on a Greenhouse that can support them gown in the natural ground "not Earthbox or Large Pots.
I have never had problems before last year and I grow mostly heirlooms, all in Earthboxes. But, this year is proving to be a challenge, again. Weather extremes are killing me! I thought I was through the worst of it, when I got past the damp and cold, losing only two plants. Then I got hit with 95 degree temps, massive storms and 50 mph winds. Lost half my tomato plants and some peppers.
Old June 17, 2022   #9
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post

Since you have had success growing your Cherokee in Earthboxes before, it seem that you should change our your dirt, or use rotation like me. By planting them 4 feet from each other, use the middle to amend your soil in between the 4 feet for the next year replacement.
Old June 17, 2022   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

From what I gather from an earlier statement you buy plants rather than grow CP from seed? Several people continue to ask me why many of their "heirlooms" look and taste so much differently than those I grow. They all seem to be buying plants and mostly from hardware and big box stores. Some even say when they buy two plants they get different results.

Lots of mix-ups seem to occur in those stores that really do not have much quality control and even the big growers seem to make lots of mistakes. I would only buy plants where the nursery grows their own from seed or purchase seed from a well known source.

I really do not trust some of the big guys to sell true varieties and even the seed packets from the in-store racks are suspect.
Old June 17, 2022   #11
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
From what I gather from an earlier statement you buy plants rather than grow CP from seed? Several people continue to ask me why many of their "heirlooms" look and taste so much differently than those I grow. They all seem to be buying plants and mostly from hardware and big box stores. Some even say when they buy two plants they get different results.

Lots of mix-ups seem to occur in those stores that really do not have much quality control and even the big growers seem to make lots of mistakes. I would only buy plants where the nursery grows their own from seed or purchase seed from a well known source.

I really do not trust some of the big guys to sell true varieties and even the seed packets from the in-store racks are suspect.
That is very true. I found two small local growers for all my plants now. So, hopefully I'll never get a repeat of my Cherokee Purple problem. This year I am doing more Black Krims. They see to be close to Cherokee Purple in taste and texture and they have a lot higher yield.
Old June 18, 2022   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim has not done very well in my Nebraska garden. Local conditions often dictate which varieties are planted and produce.
Old July 8, 2022   #13
brismith70
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick note…I know I m probably too late to help you now, but I start fairly early with a 0-10-10 fertilizer every other week to assist my plants with flowering and fruit production without giving them extra nitrogen for vegetative production. I don’t know if this is something that will help in your situation, but my plants seem to be prolific producers all through the season.
brismith70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2022   #14
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismith70 View Post
Just a quick note…I know I m probably too late to help you now, but I start fairly early with a 0-10-10 fertilizer every other week to assist my plants with flowering and fruit production without giving them extra nitrogen for vegetative production. I don’t know if this is something that will help in your situation, but my plants seem to be prolific producers all through the season.
Thanks, that's a good tip for next year. This year has been pretty much a disaster with disease and extreme wind and weather. Better luck next year. I'm replacing all of my dirt and power washing my Earthboxes.
Old July 16, 2022   #15
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I’m sure this is another too late for this year, but I grow my tomatoes in two large raised beds. I do start my own seeds. However, my growing mix is PRO MIX HP (usually) , which I then amend with fertilizers. Every year, I have at least half of the mix removed and replaced with new Pro Mix.

This has been a bizarre year for weather. We had a super hot week in May, then it got cool. We’ve had a ton of rain, high winds, cool days and nights and not a solid week of sun. I feel your pain and frustration!

As for CP, I was never a huge fan. I prefer Indian Stripe PL. It’s always reliable and produces a lot of tomatoes. I do agree with the above posters - be careful where you buy your plants because they are not always reliable. Unless it’s an actual nursery, where they grow their own plants, beware.

Hope this helps!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote