Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 22, 2011   #46
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Oh Steve,
your post arrived 10 minutes ago, so extremely late even for my street.

Let me say something - in a very platonically way and with a lot of love for tomatoes:

I LOVE YOU AND YOUR SEEDS!!!

Can´t wait to start with them!

Oh, it might be a reason that my post went through the custom office in Frankfurt that it was later than Claras; but even fast!!

Lots of greetings
Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2011   #47
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Simone, you have such a great enthusiasm!

I'm glad they made it even if they didn't set any speed records.

I hope they do well for you.

Thanks again,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011   #48
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Steve, I just looked at your listings for the initial 9 dwarfs - well done! I think your descriptions are pretty much spot on....I, too, find Tasmanian Chocolate to be a tad less flavorful than the other larger fruited ones, but it is quite productive, and it was a bit hit at Tomatopalooza several years running - so different strokes for different folks!

One thing that we may need to do is to play around a bit with Summertime Gold - it should be a slightly but distinctly deeper yellow than Dwarf Mr Snow, which should be more on the ivory side - but of the nine releases, this is the only one that appears to be misbehaving a bit!

If/when you get feedback from your customers, please share it - either here, or through PM, or perhaps we should put a sticky link into the Dwarf area for you, Tania, other Tville member seed sellers to share the feedback.
Old October 23, 2011   #49
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Mr. Snow

Craig,

My Dwarf Mr. Snow was not ivory - it was more yellow, same as on Steve's picture.
The plant was grown by Jeannine from commercial seed (Victory Seeds).

I will grow it out from the seeds you sent me and see if I get something lighter colored.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; October 23, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011   #50
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mine was quite ivory (very pale yellow) - again, not too concerned - I am pondering what I should focus on next year, and may play around with a reselection of Summertime Gold and Dwarf Mr. Snow. No matter - they are great tasting tomatoes, even if we don't have them fully nailed down yet!
Old October 23, 2011   #51
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig

As you know, I am growing both SG and Mr. Snow now in my greenhouse. I will be sending seed for the 9 released and 4 not released back to you.
Old October 23, 2011   #52
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Steve, I just looked at your listings for the initial 9 dwarfs - well done! I think your descriptions are pretty much spot on....I, too, find Tasmanian Chocolate to be a tad less flavorful than the other larger fruited ones, but it is quite productive, and it was a bit hit at Tomatopalooza several years running - so different strokes for different folks!

One thing that we may need to do is to play around a bit with Summertime Gold - it should be a slightly but distinctly deeper yellow than Dwarf Mr Snow, which should be more on the ivory side - but of the nine releases, this is the only one that appears to be misbehaving a bit!

If/when you get feedback from your customers, please share it - either here, or through PM, or perhaps we should put a sticky link into the Dwarf area for you, Tania, other Tville member seed sellers to share the feedback.
Thanks Craig,

My photo of Summertime Gold isn't a very accurate representation of its ripe color. For me, both Summertime Gold and Dwarf Mr. Snow, at similar stages in fruit development, were almost identical in color - the photo of Mr. Snow is close to the ripe color of each. The color on my photo of Dwarf Wild Fred is also off - too much red.

I'll be sure to let you know the feedback I receive from the dwarfs.

Steve
Old October 24, 2011   #53
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

Did you find the internal structure of Dwarf Mr Snow and Summertime Gold to be different? I think from what Craig has posted elsewhere that they are supposed to be different.

Craig,

Steve has his pictures of the two varieties sliced on Tania's Tomatobase, as does Suze. Are those pretty accurate in regards to your expectations for the internal structure?
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2011   #54
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

delltraveller,

The main internal structural difference I noticed was that Summertime Gold seeds are smaller than Dwarf Mr. Snow seeds. Possibly the seed cavities were also smaller but I can't remember.

Steve
Old October 27, 2011   #55
salix
Tomatovillian™

Steve, received my seeds this afternoon - thank you very much for your very generous 'extras'! I also appreciate all the pertinent information on the labels, makes it very quick/easy for filling in the master spreadsheet. Best wishes for your season as well.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2011   #56
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

salix,

Thanks for letting me know they made it. Wow, that is really slow!

Thanks for the feedback on the label- in the future I might do a different label that includes the 'seed source history' - much like Tania does. When I buy seeds I really appreciate that info.

Have a great 2012 season!
Steve
Old October 28, 2011   #57
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Steve, great site and descriptions. I want to buy some seed for my mom in China. Could you recommend a couple of varieties for containers for very hot summers (30+ C is the norm).
Thanks.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011   #58
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Steve, great site and descriptions. I want to buy some seed for my mom in China. Could you recommend a couple of varieties for containers for very hot summers (30+ C is the norm).
Thanks.
NewWestGardener,

Thank you!

Most of the heirlooms will set fruit up to 30C if the humidity is not excessive, so I think the trick is to get an early start on the growing season and get the fruit set before the 30+ C temps and high humidity set in.

A few varieties that have done very well for me in hot weather when grown in containers are:

Druzba
Floradade (det)
JD's Special C Tex
Super Sioux

I suspect some of the early varieties like Stupice and Moravsky Div would also do well and might be worth a try. They would set fruit before the heat gets bad. (For me, neither of these has great flavor - but they are favorites of some growers)

Also, most of the cherries do well in heat (relatively) and would make a good fallback crop.

Steve
Old November 2, 2011   #59
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Hulamom,

Thank you for the seeds! I am anxious to see how they do here!

Steve
Old November 2, 2011   #60
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Steve, for the recommendations, I will place my order with you soon. I grew Druzba this year and it was the best performer in my garden.
I'm also curious about your stable OP "4th of July". Are you going to release it? I would like to order it if you do.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote