Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 18, 2012   #16
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
kil - I did notice the other thread after I posted here, but I rarely use my cell phone, so was hoping for an old fashioned alarm of some kind.
Yes, the more I thought about it, I don't need the extra expense of the phone interface. If it is going to get cold enough to be concerned, it will be after 8pm and I am almost always going to be home. It would be fun at first to "nanny" my plant temps while elsewhere, but not necessary.

Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #17
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I finally got my new greenhouse a couple of weeks ago, so looking to get things ready for spring.
Dee, congrats on the greenhouse! Tell us more.

This is the next thing I might want, just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (36.8 KB, 12 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That sensor is pretty cool. Does it transmit the data over the Internet? Remote climate monitoring is ridiculously expensive, and everything I looked at required a land-based phone line.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #19
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

It's a data logger and as far as I know it stores the info onboard and then you would carry the device to the computer for downloading. But I'm not certain about that. That's how it worked when I last looked at these things, but there may be something better right now. In any case, my wireless network does not encompass the greenhouse. And I just selected that model to show here because it was the first one that came up! I haven't really done any recent research on them. I looked a few years back more in depth.

Sherry
Old November 18, 2012   #20
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
That sensor is pretty cool. Does it transmit the data over the Internet? Remote climate monitoring is ridiculously expensive, and everything I looked at required a land-based phone line.
Check out the options that Claud (Saltmarsh) pointed out to me. A hundred bucks and up but aybe ore affordable than what you have seen elsewhere.

Quote:
Just choose your model. Claud

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/alerts/
Old November 19, 2012   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. That looks awesome. Now I need to get my greenhouse an I-phone.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #22
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dee, congrats on the greenhouse! Tell us more.
I ended up getting a Sunshine Gardenhouse kit, redwood and double walled polycarbonate, - the largest size which is 8'x16' and a height of 10'. One of the neighbors has had this brand for at least 10-15 years and it has held up very well. I really like the steep pitch roof for shedding a snow load. With the 16 ft model, you can choose to have double dutch doors at each end, which I did for more ventilation. You get two double sectioned automatic roof vents, not visible in the picture. The only thing that was not as expected, was that it is supposed to come with two automatic floor vents, but since they are only sized to fit on the back wall, if you have the extra door, you lose the proper sized spots for the vents. I didn't know they were an odd size, I thought I could just swap them onto one of the long walls. My dealer apparently also didn't understand this either or make it clear to me. But it's not a big deal, I still like having the two doors. I had to hire a crew to put it together, because we needed the ground leveled for the site anyway, and it would have taken my hubby and I ten times as long to get it all put together, plus we might not have been married by the end of it!

I am quite happy with it - that tray of lettuce seedlings got planted in a shallow trench in the ground, so far they haven't frozen despite a couple of nights going down to 15F, but I did cover them with bubble wrap and other plastic. They were started too late to go under plastic and hoops in my raised beds, and I know they will freeze out soon without heat, but at least I have some test subjects to watch. I probably will mostly use it just for starting plants in the spring, and maybe some fall things.

Still lots to do - spent this morning leveling the ground some more and putting down some black landscape fabric.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #23
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

It's a beautiful thing

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #24
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, Dee. I think you'll be glad for the extra ventilation. I love the picture with the comfy chair and a flat of lettuce!

Sherry
Old November 19, 2012   #25
Redfisher
Tomatovillian™

Wow, look at all of that clear flat land.
I could hit my neighbor’s house with a cotton ball.
Redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #26
Redfisher
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Assuming this question was to me, I'm sure it does have some effect, but with tomatoes I think our problem is lack of heat which more than offsets the benefit of all the daylight. It's pretty easy for me to find a nice sunny spot in the yard for plants (assuming there's any sun at all, which there really wasn't this last year!), but our soil never really warms up enough for tomatoes or other warm-weather crops to be planted in-ground. Even in containers, outside the greenhouse it's a struggle. The extended daylight does cause some of our plants to grow very tall.
Thank you for the answer. I meant to respond yesterday but I got lead off in another direction here.
I was just wondering if I’m trying to get plants to mature in an altogether wrong time of the year for daylight hours.
It’s really just chasing something someone said on youtube. I figure if it’s a dumb myth this is the place where it will be killed.
Old November 19, 2012   #27
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, for the nice comments!

Quote:
Wow, look at all of that clear flat land.
I could hit my neighbor’s house with a cotton ball.
That open land was a seasonal horse pasture back when I still had horses. Actually, that area was probably swamp at one time. It was filled in many years before we bought the property, and these days it would be illegal to do so, with the wetland preservation laws. There are occasional metal objects like steel cables washing out near the water's edge, and in the early spring, it's often has standing water on mushy ground, before the ground thaws. But yes, we've got lots of elbow room, though we do have a nice neighbor house not too far on the right side.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #28
Redfisher
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks all, for the nice comments!

That open land was a seasonal horse pasture back when I still had horses. Actually, that area was probably swamp at one time. It was filled in many years before we bought the property, and these days it would be illegal to do so, with the wetland preservation laws. There are occasional metal objects like steel cables washing out near the water's edge, and in the early spring, it's often has standing water on mushy ground, before the ground thaws. But yes, we've got lots of elbow room, though we do have a nice neighbor house not too far on the right side.

I just had a look at your photo album. Those dwarfs are incredible.
Threads started by you have suddenly become of great interest to me. lol.
Thanks.
Old November 19, 2012   #29
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks. That looks awesome. Now I need to get my greenhouse an I-phone.
Ha! Love it. My first thought was, "what, you haven't already? The greenhouse is a deprived child!"

Not 100% sure how this works, whether you would need to have WiFi that covered where the thermo unit was. I suppose there were specs there; I just saw the price and thought, it's not gonna get that cold here.