Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old July 2, 2007   #1
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving Tomatillo Seeds

Do you save tomatillo seeds like you do tomato seeds, ferment them, etc.?? Please contact via email with replys if you'd like. Thanx.

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelytes View Post
Do you save tomatillo seeds like you do tomato seeds, ferment them, etc.?? Please contact via email with replys if you'd like.
Please also post your replies here, because there are lots of folks who would like to know the answer.

Bluelytes, you can set up your profile to automatically get an email whenever someone posts a reply in this thread. Near the top of this page there is a line of links that says "My Profile, FAQ, Members List, Calendar, New Posts, Search, Quick Links, Log Out". Click on My Profile.

On the left side is a list of links in the Control Panel. Click on the Edit Options link.

For the Default Thread Subscription Mode, select one of the email notification options.

Then you will get an email automatically whenever someone replies, so you won't have to include that request in every post.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2007   #3
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

You can save the seeds if you want to share with others, but I planted tomatillos two years ago in my garden and since then, I haven't needed to re-sow. They just keep coming back on their own.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2007   #4
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default tomotillos.

I am growing tomotillos for the first time this year. My plants are producing plenty of flowers and they are starting to form fruit but then the whole thing just drops off. What am i doing wrong. How much water do they need? do they like wet or dry conditions? Any advice would be greatfully received.
Old July 3, 2007   #5
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

BCDAY,
I am very sorry for the error. I thought I had it set, but it apparently defaulted to NO email. TYVM for the reminder.
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #6
orflo
Tomatovillian™

I think you have two options for saving tomatillo seeds: the first is : just mash the tomatillos, wash out all of the waste and leave them to dry on non-absorbing material, I use this method every year and it just works fine. I never tried fermentin g them, but it should work, I do think it's easier without the fermenting .But indeed, they are self-sowing over here as well. Keep in mind that two varieties of tomatillo need to be isolated, they cross easily.
Tomatillos need about the same consditions as ground cherry, they don't mind lots of rain if the temperature is high enough, and there is a bit of sun. I never had any problems with them and I'm growing them for over ten years now. You do need at least two plants, because they are not self-fertilising. And even in very dry conditions they do produce lots. Sometimes, when plants have 'wet feet' they can show the symptoms compared with plants in a very dry condition, and that could be an abortion of fruit, or even leaf wilting,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote